Leafs @ Habs GDT: April 10th, 2010

bar

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the whole, I thought this was one of our better games of the season. The fact is, if Halak had played decently, we'd have won by a 2 or 3-goal margin at least. He was a dog out there.

Nice to see Cammy and Pouliot recovering their form (I was worried we'd never see Pouliot again!). And Gomez was as good as anyone in hockey tonight. If he does that in the playoffs, all resentment about his salary will disappear.

After Halak's questionable week, I honestly think Price would be the guy to start in the playoffs - but it won't happen because Halak was earned it on overall performance.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Well at least we make the big dance, by the slimest of margins. I for one am worried about Halak. A few weeks ago he was dominant, now he's playing scared, careless with the puck, huge rebounds, bad positioning.... I wouldn't be shocked to see Price at some point in whatever first round series we end up with.

Well Halak did his best to lose this for the habs. Not a good stretch of goaltending leading into the series against NJ.

Is Pouliot and Cammy sooooo snakebiten!!! How many posts/crossbars was it tonight.

On the whole, I thought this was one of our better games of the season. The fact is, if Halak had played decently, we'd have won by a 2 or 3-goal margin. He was a dog.

Nice to see Cammy and Pouliot recovering their form. And Gomez was as good as anyone in hockey tonight. If he does that in the playoffs, all resentment about his salary will disappear.

After Halak's questionable week, I honestly think Price would be the guy to start in the playoffs - but it won't happen because Halak was earned it on overall performance.

Agree. He picked the wrong night to play his worst game of the season.

Ugh...

squeakiest... sneak into the playoffs ... ever!

Have you forgotten that they did the EXACT same thing last season against Boston.

so hard to figure out who were playing in the postseason

I'm an idiot...ignore me...I didn't realize Buffalo was so close to NJ haha.

Edited by bar

so hard to figure out who were playing in the postseason

If the Rangers win we get either Buffalo or New Jersey depending on tomorrow's game.

If Philly wins we get Washington.

Scenarios:

Flyers win - we play Washington

Rangers win, Devils win - we play New Jersey

Rangers win, Devils/Sabres goes to OT - we play New Jersey

Rangers win, Sabres win in regulation - we play Buffalo

Well, we head to the playoffs with a bunch of snake bit scorers, AK in a donut shop, Halak shaky, and our MAB being one of our top D at both ends of the ice...

This should be fun.

Blanket pessimism is as ill-founded as mindless optimism.

Our first line was absolutely dominant tonight. Cammy showed really good stuff too. Pleks started strong, then faded - Brunet suggests that the rest between now and the playoffs is what he needs, and I'll accept that. Markov played tremendously well. And a MAB who is playing like that is a bona-fide asset. Don't let the final result deceive you. This was a VERY strong game and we should be tolerably optimistic coming out of it.

(For me, Hammer and Spacek are worries; but they will also benefit hugely from the layoff. A. Kostitysn, who may well have played himself out of Montreal with this laughable effort down the stretch drive, is another story...as is, I hate to say, Jaro Halak. He CANNOT play like this in the dance; and Price could find his big chance to reassume the mantle of Chosen One sooner than we think).

EDIT: given the abuse he's taken lately, we should also give credit to Jacques Martin. He made the right call on Pouliot, added new life to the second line by replacing The Great Tit with Drache, and has his team playing strong puck-protection and puck-possession all night. Kudos to The Penguin.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I am not overly worried about Halak, but I am worried about our boys up front. Yes, the gomez line is playing hard and with fire, but their conversion rate on goals is brutal. The Plek line has not been very good for a while now. Take away some empty net goals and you will see Pleks has cooled off considerably.

Hammer and Spacek are brutal and have been most of the season.

I said at the start of the year that this was a bubble team who would probably get in the playoffs, but not by much. I don't see us doing much damage. Its not like we are playing better as the year goes on to worry anyone in the top 3.

The fun part tomorrow will be watching Ovie in the race for most goals and points. Sedin just took the points lead.

Blanket pessimism is as ill-founded as mindless optimism.

Our first line was absolutely dominant tonight. Cammy showed really good stuff too. Pleks started strong, then faded - Brunet suggests that the rest between now and the playoffs is what he needs, and I'll accept that. Markov played tremendously well. And a MAB who is playing like that is a bona-fide asset. Don't let the final result deceive you. This was a VERY strong game and we should be tolerably optimistic coming out of it.

(For me, Hammer and Spacek are worries; but they will also benefit hugely from the layoff. A. Kostitysn, who may well have played himself out of Montreal with this laughable effort down the stretch drive, is another story...as is, I hate to say, Jaro Halak. He CANNOT play like this in the dance; and Price could find his big chance to reassume the mantle of Chosen One sooner than we think).

I am worried about Halak, the one thing that is telling so far is under pressure Halak has not faired well, last three games, olympics. This might be good to know for Habs management before they mortage their future in Price on the weight of one good partial season for Halak.

Every year teams that are not supposed to do anything advance, upset and thrive in the playoffs. I cannot understand everyone's lack of faith, it's almost like you naysay so you can gloat afterwards and say see...I was right, but if they surprise you can plead innocence, that hey they were lucky, or played over their head. It takes more courage to go out on a limb than to think of the worst possible fate.

Edited by bar