Puck Drop: 7:00 PM EST
TV: RDS, TSN-A
Radio: CJAD,CKAC

Edited by dlbalr

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure where you got your info, but Philly is 2nd in the east, not 10th!!!!

I suspect this will be our toughest game yet this year. Philly is rolling and seems to have our number.

Philly has our number in the PLAYOFFS.

In the regular season, the Habs have been fairly dominant against the Flyers since 2008.

They are 9-3 against Philly since 2007-08, Price has been the most dominant against them.

During his career he is 5-1 with a 1.90 GAA and a .937 SV%.

Outside of the back to back beatings before the Olympics, it has been all Montreal.

True.. but I don't differentiate.. our last few games against them were pretty rough, so I suspect they are coming in pretty confident. They are also pretty healthy right now, so their offensive is pretty impressive. Not sure how good that goalie is they have, but he is sitting at a .934 save percentage. Goaltending has always been the Philly's archilles heel, but not this year.

I am not too worried about Price, I am worried about our offensive versus these guys. I suspect this will be a lot tighter then the Canes game.

PS.. apparently, my word of the day is "pretty". :)

Philly has our number in the PLAYOFFS.

In the regular season, the Habs have been fairly dominant against the Flyers since 2008.

They are 9-3 against Philly since 2007-08, Price has been the most dominant against them.

During his career he is 5-1 with a 1.90 GAA and a .937 SV%.

Outside of the back to back beatings before the Olympics, it has been all Montreal.

Edited by brobin

True.. but I don't differentiate.. our last few games against them were pretty rough, so I suspect they are coming in pretty confident. They are also pretty healthy right now, so their offensive is pretty impressive. Not sure how good that goalie is they have, but he is sitting at a .934 save percentage. Goaltending has always been the Philly's archilles heel, but not this year.

I am not too worried about Price, I am worried about our offensive versus these guys. I suspect this will be a lot tighter then the Canes game.

PS.. apparently, my word of the day is "pretty". :)

The goalie's got an easy job with the following d corps in front of him:

Pronger

Timmonen

Coburn

Carle

Mejszaros

O'Donnell

Anyone could post decent numbers behind this wall.

How can you say that goaltending has been their achillies heel and then quote stats?

2000 - Brian Boucher - .918 SV%

2001 - Roman Cechmanek - .921 SV%

2002 - Roman Cechmanek - .921 SV%

2003 - Roman Cechmanek - .925 SV%

2004 - Robert Esche - .915 SV%

2008 - Martin Biron - .918 SV%

2009 - Martin Biron - .915 SV%

2010 - Michael Leighton - .918 SV%

They have been a dominant goaltending statistical team for over a decade. It is the Flyers system that is propping

up Bobrovsky. The guy has a less than impressive resume.

The playoffs and regular season are totally different animals. The Flyers goaltending usually proves that. When you prepare

for a team for 7 games, you prepare to expose weaknesses. They can take advantage of their physicality over 7 games and

they have a team that will commit to doing the dirty work because of the stakes. There is no conserving energy like athletes

do during an 82 game grind.

They don't have those luxuries during the regular season, hence the contrasting results against the Canadiens.

The Flyers are a strong team, but conventional wisdom had the Habs losing to the Bruins and Canucks too.

The playoff results from last season are irrelevant, look at last season. The Bruins destroyed the Habs in the 2009 playoffs and then went

1-5 in 2010.

Edited by Wamsley01

They have been a dominant goaltending statistical team for over a decade. It is the Flyers system that is propping

up Bobrovsky. The guy has a less than impressive resume.

Bob actually just played for a really terrible KHL team and posted noticeably better numbers than his veteran partner for the team (and good numbers compared to rest of the league). There's reason to believe he has actual talent, but as a young goalie he's probably just experiencing a performance high, benefiting from shooters not having much scouting info on him before a weakness can be exposed. It isn't a matter of if he'll have a trying period, but when... and you never know how long it'll be until the "when" kicks in.

Bob actually just played for a really terrible KHL team and posted noticeably better numbers than his veteran partner for the team (and good numbers compared to rest of the league). There's reason to believe he has actual talent, but as a young goalie he's probably just experiencing a performance high, benefiting from shooters not having much scouting info on him before a weakness can be exposed. It isn't a matter of if he'll have a trying period, but when... and you never know how long it'll be until the "when" kicks in.

I know off continent scouting is your thing, but I don't trust statistics from a league that 99% of the world has never seen.

Just like Mikael Telqvist and Jonas Gustavsson putting up "monster" numbers in the SEL. Undrafted players

are usually undrafted for a reason.

You are using names like Alexandr Vyukhin and Maxim Sokolov as your comparables. Sokolov put up a .915 on

the same bad team in 2009, not exactly terrible for a poor team.

That team made Leighton look like a star in 2010 and has a dominant defensive core with strong two way forwards.

I will exercise on the side of caution with no-name Flyers goalies. Too many Bob Froese, Roman Cechmanek, Robert

Esche and Brian Boucher's being propped up in their history to believe otherwise.

Edited by Wamsley01

I know off continent scouting is your thing, but I don't trust statistics from a league that 99% of the world has never seen.

Just like Mikael Telqvist and Jonas Gustavsson putting up "monster" numbers in the SEL. Undrafted players

are usually undrafted for a reason.

You are using names like Alexandr Vyukhin and Maxim Sokolov as your comparables. Sokolov put up a .915 on

the same bad team in 2009, not exactly terrible for a poor team.

That team made Leighton look like a star in 2010 and has a dominant defensive core with strong two way forwards.

I will exercise on the side of caution with no-name Flyers goalies. Too many Bob Froese, Roman Cechmanek, Robert

Esche and Brian Boucher's being propped up in their history to believe otherwise.

Heh, 99% of the world didn't see Carey Price outside of the 2007 World Juniors until he played for the Canadiens, too. Bobrovsky was definitely solid for the bronze medal winning Russian '08 WJC team, and the KHL is most definitely the second best league in the world. He out-tended the well respected then 36 year old Sokolov by 1.2% in 2008-09 and another 36 year old in Viyukhin by 1.7% the next year. That's a clear difference in talent, so it's safe to say he's above the typical KHL level. One time Habs prospect Vadim Tarasov is now in there posting an .891.

There's legitimate reason to believe there's talent in Bobrovsky, just as there's legitimate reason to believe he'll get lit up at some point this year and should be sent to the AHL.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he's good enough right now to be a NHL backup, which probably makes him the best goalie in the Flyers' oragnization. :lol: I'm not suggesting he's Pelle Lindberg, but with time he could definitely emerge as a legitimate starting goalie.

Heh, 99% of the world didn't see Carey Price outside of the 2007 World Juniors until he played for the Canadiens, too. Bobrovsky was definitely solid for the bronze medal winning Russian '08 WJC team, and the KHL is most definitely the second best league in the world. He out-tended the well respected then 36 year old Sokolov by 1.2% in 2008-09 and another 36 year old in Viyukhin by 1.7% the next year. That's a clear difference in talent, so it's safe to say he's above the typical KHL level. One time Habs prospect Vadim Tarasov is now in there posting an .891.

There's legitimate reason to believe there's talent in Bobrovsky, just as there's legitimate reason to believe he'll get lit up at some point this year and should be sent to the AHL.

I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he's good enough right now to be a NHL backup, which probably makes him the best goalie in the Flyers' oragnization. :lol: I'm not suggesting he's Pelle Lindberg, but with time he could definitely emerge as a legitimate starting goalie.

I know you aren't comparing the amount of scouts who see CHL players to the amount that scout KHL players.

That was the point, not Joe from Windsor who only sees players on HNIC.

The whole point from the beginning is don't judge a goaltender on statistics alone because the system is usually responsible.

I have also made the point plenty of times that there is a tiny difference between an AHL goaltender and an NHL goaltender

and most of it has to do with circumstance. Leighton bounced around with crappy NHL teams and all of a sudden looked NHL

calibre once he hit the Flyers. If Bobrovsky came over and made his debut with the Leafs he would probably be Gustavsson.

That does not mean I am denying that Gustavsson has NHL talent, it means that he is among a large grouping of goaltenders

whose star status is determined entirely on things they cannot control.

I don't think it is a 50/50 possibility that Bobrovsky has talent. All of them have talent, but I am pretty secure in my belief

that the Flyers didn't unearth a Dominik Hasek and more likely unearthed an Evgeni Nabokov.

As for Pelle Lindbergh, I have serious doubts that he was an elite goaltender as well. Froese had better numbers

from 1983-1985.

Froese - 58-19-9 2.84 GAA and .894 SV% 7 SO

Lindbergh - 79-43-13 3.26 GAA and a .887 SV% 6 SO

Now the argument can be made that Lindbergh was the starter and faced tougher opposition, but then look at what

Froese did during the season where Lindbergh was killed

Froese 1986 - 31-10-3 2.55 GAA and a .909 SV% 5 SO

One of the greatest statistical season be a goaltender over the last 40 years (.909 lead the league). Froese lead the league

in SV%, GAA, shutouts and winning percentage. Then Froese was replaced by Ron Hextall, who guess what? Lead the league

in most statistical categories.

So either the Flyers had a ridiculous lucky string of consecutive Vezina winning talent in net, or they MAY have had a system

that propped up stiffs to look like superstars. With what we know of how Hextall and Froese's careers played out outside of Philly,

I think it is safe to say they were not elite, Lindbergh has been deified because of the way he died.

Bobrovsky is likely no different, a solid average goaltender in a great system.

Edited by Wamsley01

Bobrovsky will start tonight, a bit of a surprise as most believed Boucher would get the nod. Nodl is questionable for this game; I'd suspect they'd bring in Bartulis as a forward if he can't go. Sounds as if there were some delays on the Flyers' end getting into Montreal too.

Bobrovsky will start tonight, a bit of a surprise as most believed Boucher would get the nod. Nodl is questionable for this game; I'd suspect they'd bring in Bartulis as a forward if he can't go. Sounds as if there were some delays on the Flyers' end getting into Montreal too.

I heard Carter left last nights game with an injury. Any word on that?

I heard Carter left last nights game with an injury. Any word on that?

Carcillo left due to injury last night and will miss 2 weeks (which means 2 games against us). Haven't heard anything about Carter and he did play over 16 minutes last night - if he left, it would have been late and likely as a precaution. Philly hasn't announced any callups from the AHL either so I'm guessing he's good to go unfortunately.

I had completely overlooked the importance of this game! its the freakin flyers, this means im heading home sooner than later to watch it

pray for no more injuries.... But I'll take them as long as we get an eye for an eye

Go HABS go!

p.s. a trade is coming, look to see who is benched or not dressed in hamilton tonight.

p.p.s. Congrats to A. Henry for the longest playing Dog!

Yeah! ok les boys aim high at Bobsky`s head

I had completely overlooked the importance of this game! its the freakin flyers, this means im heading home sooner than later to watch it

pray for no more injuries.... But I'll take them as long as we get an eye for an eye

Go HABS go!

p.s. a trade is coming, look to see who is benched or not dressed in hamilton tonight.

I think there is something up too. Management had all kinds of time to bring someone up. All you would have to do is have one defensemen to have the flu and you are playing short. You don't have anyone that plays forward and can fill in at defense. Something is up.

Go HABS go!

Thank you for reminding me of what it was I was trying to remember to do the whole day...make the Bulldogs GDT.

Pretty entertaining 1st period, nice to see the PP get one as well, keep bringing that percentage up. Bobrovsky reminds me a bit of Thomas, gets the job done but does it in an unorthodox way. Is it just me, or does Philly seem a lot less tougher without Carcillo in the lineup?

C'mon boys.We have to take advantage of our powerplays. I get the feeling that if we don't score another goal on the PP it'll come and bite us in the butt!

Pretty entertaining 1st period, nice to see the PP get one as well, keep bringing that percentage up. Bobrovsky reminds me a bit of Thomas, gets the job done but does it in an unorthodox way. Is it just me, or does Philly seem a lot less tougher without Carcillo in the lineup?

I think the fact that they played last night might have something to do with that!