GDT: November 16th, 2010 - Flyers @Habs

bar

We have some money now that Markov is out.. let's spend 500K and bring in a goon, just for next monday...

Agreed. We can handle ourselves without a goon against the Preds and the Leafies...but next monday is gonna be war in Philly. We'll need all the toughness and size we can get!

Edited by Habsfan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a Quote from Wamsley's Link. It was made by Mike Richards.

This is why I think we do need some bigger guys on this team. Richards basically threatened Subban, and the NHL will do absolutely nothing about this. I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the goons on the Flyers cheap shot Subban and see our prized rookie miss many games cause of that cheap shot!

I think we need to call up A. Henry and whomever else can help us for next monday.

Well, barring deliberate attempts to injure such as knee jobs, PK can take care of himself. He is built like a brick shithouse. The trouble is that this IS a threat to injure. Yeah, there's a 'code.' But (say) shattering an emerging star's knee because he's 'cocky' is ridiculous and contrary to the NHL's best interests. This league is so damned stupid.

What should happen is that a prestigous habs like Gill should publicly state that IF "something happens" to PK, then the Flyers can expect "something to happen" to Briere, Carter, or one of their other not-too-tough key players. That's the nice thing about attempts to injure - you don't need to be a tough guy to inflict them. Such a war of words would also get the NHL's attention and the refs would be on full alert to crack down on any BS. This can only work in the Habs' favour.

Although we will beat teams like the Flyers with speed, hockey smarts, and goaltending, you are absolutely right that we need to inject some bad-assery into our roster for Monday, and it would be stupid not to. Also, a guy like Moen needs to be prepared to bring his toughest possible self to the rink that night.

But the best possible outcome would be for PK to crush somebody with a devastating bodycheck and send his own message: don't f*ck with me.

But the best possible outcome would be for PK to crush somebody with a devastating bodycheck and send his own message: don't f*ck with me.

I would've loved to see Richards actually drop the gloves with Subban. Richards would've gotten his ass handed to him by Subban...but as we all know, Richards is a rat.

The trouble is that this IS a threat to injure. Yeah, there's a 'code.' But (say) shattering an emerging star's knee because he's 'cocky' is ridiculous and contrary to the NHL's best interests. This league is so damned stupid.

Mark my words, the League will do absolutely nothing with regards to Richards comments!

What should happen is that a prestigous habs like Gill should publicly state that IF "something happens" to PK, then the Flyers can expect "something to happen" to Briere, Carter, or one of their other not-too-tough key players. That's the nice thing about attempts to injure - you don't need to be a tough guy to inflict them.

Once again, I agree with you, however I doubt one of our guys will make that kind of statement.

Edited by Habsfan

It'd definitely have to be Henry as the call-up, although Conboy is an option as well. Hopefully Henry since I don't think Conboy has earned anything professionally... Henry definitely has, although is being brought up to goon it up vs. the Flyers really earning something? :lol:

Nothing would make me happier to find out that PK can fight.

All he would need to do is smack the snot out of somebody respected for being tough once and

this would all end.

I have a feeling that he can take care of himself. My issue is that the Flyers have 1/3 of their roster

who is fully capable of destroying a career and have shown in the past that they have no problem

crossing the line of decency.

This Flyers team is very reminiscent of the 70s era team, it is no coincidence that they have morphed

into this with leadership from Pronger and Richards. The Kerr to Lindros to Roenick teams were not like this,

sure the 80s had goons like Brown and Hospidar, but these guys are much more dangerous because they

take a regular shift.

According to M-A Godin of Lapresse, Both Gorges and Halpern are absent form this mornings practice. Let's hope that its just a rpecautionary measure!?!

My issue is that the Flyers have 1/3 of their roster

who is fully capable of destroying a career and have shown in the past that they have no problem

In that case, the habs have to make sure that the Flyers understand that if anyone on our team gets injured against them next monday, It'll be open season on Richards, Carter, Brière and Giroux. Maybe that'll make'em think twice before using any more cheap shots!?

Nothing would make me happier to find out that PK can fight.

All he would need to do is smack the snot out of somebody respected for being tough once and

this would all end.

I have a feeling that he can take care of himself. My issue is that the Flyers have 1/3 of their roster

This Flyers team is very reminiscent of the 70s era team, it is no coincidence that they have morphed

into this with leadership from Pronger and Richards. The Kerr to Lindros to Roenick teams were not like this,

sure the 80s had goons like Brown and Hospidar, but these guys are much more dangerous because they

take a regular shift.

Yeah, this rivalry is like a low-level version of the great Habs-Flyers rivalry from the mid-70s. It's funny how some organizations, despite changes of ownership and leadership, sometimes retain the same basic identity over generations. The Habs have almost always been and continue to be a team built on speed, skill, smart hockey, great goaltending and disciplined team play. The knock on us has almost always been that we're 'too small' and 'too soft.' The Flyers have almost always been and continue to be a team defined by physical intimidation to varying degrees. The knock on them has always been that they're degenerate 'goons.'

The traditional answer of successful Habs teams to this situation has been to rise up and either out-tough the tough guys (which is what the Habs team of 1976 did on the way to dethroning the Broad Street Bullies) or else to play their game and refuse to be intimidated (which is what the 1993 team did, not against the Flyers, but against every team's attempt to exploit their 'softeness'). I can see this group managing the latter feat. But I'd dearly love to see the former.

Maybe someone should get Richards for all the dirty hits he has made, clearly showing he is both cocky and has a lack of respect for others. He said some shit to PK last night and pick threw a punch. So maybe Richards should keep his mouth shut..

By the way, I have still heard nothing about the league looking at the Halpern hit.. they better after all the suspensions they have been handing out.

We have some money now that Markov is out.. let's spend 500K and bring in a goon, just for next monday...

Someone i completely agree with.

I would bring up at 1 player from Hamilton, probably Henry to serve a the Habs goon Wendesday. His main purpose should be to run around an dish out some dirty hits to the likes of Richards, Giroux, and Carter.

I would love to see one of them get their head smashed straight into the boards.

I know it probably wont happen but would love to see.

Yeah, this rivalry is like a low-level version of the great Habs-Flyers rivalry from the mid-70s. It's funny how some organizations, despite changes of ownership and leadership, sometimes retain the same basic identity over generations. The Habs have almost always been and continue to be a team built on speed, skill, smart hockey, great goaltending and disciplined team play. The knock on us has almost always been that we're 'too small' and 'too soft.' The Flyers have almost always been and continue to be a team defined by physical intimidation to varying degrees. The knock on them has always been that they're degenerate 'goons.'

The traditional answer of successful Habs teams to this situation has been to rise up and either out-tough the tough guys (which is what the Habs team of 1976 did on the way to dethroning the Broad Street Bullies) or else to play their game and refuse to be intimidated (which is what the 1993 team did, not against the Flyers, but against every team's attempt to exploit their 'softeness'). I can see this group managing the latter feat. But I'd dearly love to see the former.

The 89 Habs intimidated the Flyers when Chelios decapitated Propp.

Their only recourse was for Hextall to go crazy after the habs whipped their ass.

The Canadiens usually had a Nilan, Robinson, Ewen to take care of business should the other team

take liberties. They need somebody to not play punching bag. A week ago I would have said no to Bieksa

Now, I would be fine with it. Make it happen Pierre!!

Edited by Wamsley01

It'd definitely have to be Henry as the call-up, although Conboy is an option as well. Hopefully Henry since I don't think Conboy has earned anything professionally... Henry definitely has, although is being brought up to goon it up vs. the Flyers really earning something? :lol:

Conboy's injured right now actually, so the only tough guy option they have (that's under contract to the Habs) is Henry. He's also quite cheap on the cap at just a shade over 500k.

According to M-A Godin of Lapresse, Both Gorges and Halpern are absent form this mornings practice. Let's hope that its just a rpecautionary measure!?!

It was, the twitterbug on the main page is showing tweets saying both are expected to play tomorrow.

I don't see why Richards would be suspended. He didn't say the Flyers would try to injure him, he said that if Subban plays so rough and wild all the time, he might eventually get jumped or something.

I have a feeling PK could beat the shit out of someone twice his size though.

I don't see why Richards would be suspended. He didn't say the Flyers would try to injure him, he said that if Subban plays so rough and wild all the time, he might eventually get jumped or something.

I have a feeling PK could beat the shit out of someone twice his size though.

I have a feeling he can fight too. He must have had to deal with this type of attention since he was little,

so my guess is he can protect himself if need be.

I have a feeling he can fight too. He must have had to deal with this type of attention since he was little,

so my guess is he can protect himself if need be.

Yes, the team is small but they stand up for themselves. Cammalleri, Gionta, Gorges Gomez, Subban, even Plekanec now, and many more aren't taking any crap from anybody. Philly didn't get any more of a grasp on the game once it got rough.

I also would LOVE to see Price fight someone. I have a feeling he'd also be a monster. :D

P K Subban should has created a reputation in the league as a blabber mouth and in my opinion as well as others he should chill out. With all the talent that this kid has we need him in the line up rather than the infirmary nursing a broken jaw or a broken wrist. Yesterday's game against Philly he checked a flyer's player directly behind Carey's net causing Carey to fall flat on the ice. That was stupid! So chill out P K cause we need you playing rather than seeing you in a neck brace. :unsure:

Maybe we can start Monday's game with an old-time pregame brawl!

Now that's hockey! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I believe PK will prove he can handle himself once his team mates let him go.

It seems they get between him and anyone he wants to go with before it gets going.

I am just glad we handed the Flyers a nice loss last night, and hope we are still on a winning streak when we face them next.

As for bringing in a goon, is BGL still around, LMAO. Sorry, but goon wise I think the Flyers can out gun us no matter who in the organization we bring in, so we will have to beat them at our game. Let them take stupid penalties as they get frustrated and run up the goals on the PP. As for Carter's comment on PK, I don't see him running around taking cheap shots, but he does deliver some nice hits. If the FLyers can't take a clean hit they should just go home and cry to Mommy. Trying to get in a fight when ever you are hit with a body check is, well I was going to say childlike, but even kids know better, so I will just say poor form. Get over it and play the game. Let's not stoop to their level, but level them with clean hits, and out score them. THat will do just fine.

Maybe we can start Monday's game with an old-time pregame brawl!

Now that's hockey! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I believe PK will prove he can handle himself once his team mates let him go.

It seems they get between him and anyone he wants to go with before it gets going.

I am just glad we handed the Flyers a nice loss last night, and hope we are still on a winning streak when we face them next.

As for bringing in a goon, is BGL still around, LMAO. Sorry, but goon wise I think the Flyers can out gun us no matter who in the organization we bring in, so we will have to beat them at our game. Let them take stupid penalties as they get frustrated and run up the goals on the PP. As for Carter's comment on PK, I don't see him running around taking cheap shots, but he does deliver some nice hits. If the FLyers can't take a clean hit they should just go home and cry to Mommy. Trying to get in a fight when ever you are hit with a body check is, well I was going to say childlike, but even kids know better, so I will just say poor form. Get over it and play the game. Let's not stoop to their level, but level them with clean hits, and out score them. THat will do just fine.

It's not about beating the goon, but neutralizing them: if Henry comes in and goes with Powe or whoever, that means Powe is tired and not able to run around against the other Habs for a good chunk of time. I'll take a Henry for Powe tradeoff.

Anyone else remember Mike Richards hit to the head of David Booth, was David Booth a cocky

player ? Not.

Andrei Markov has years of good hockey, never been a cocky player, never played cheap hockey

he should have respect. Nah, opponents know he has a knee weakness, and they play cheap on him

and when he is on the ice why not slap shot his glove right to him.

Players don't respect them between each others or the leaugue would not have to add and enforce rules

to prevent hits to the head.

And if Richards himself want to go at Subban, not PowPow or Carcillo or Pronger, i say Richards if he has a problem with that.

Settle that 1-1. I am sure Subban can take him. Or he is not going, why, who's cocky now ? The guy behind 4 goons or Subban ?

Something thats surprised me this year is when AK gets pissed he SEEKS out someone to lay the body on, I really like that. Also, I like how Darche is laying out the checks from the 3rd line, the habs are small at their skilled positions, but I like the teams overall team toughness. Sure, Laps fought and lost a decision last night, but he stood up. I respect that, even though thats not his game, he's an aggitator, not a fighter.

Subbans cockiness (see: confidence) is what makes me really enjoy him as a player, since when are hockey players such babies demanding respect? PK don't change what you're doing, show respect to your team mates, to your fans, you can respect the other players after the game.

Hockey is full of Crosbys, monotone, drone, paint by number communicators. The NHL needs the prongers, the roenicks, the subbans, heck even the Averys. As long as your team mates are not having to do the dance for you (ala McGratten commenting on how he had to face the music because of Neils crap during his Sens days), then don't let the other teams, reporters, heck even Donald F Cherry try to persuade you from your game.

Yeah, that's what's so stupid. If you have a problem with a player's attitude, then drop the gloves and take him on man to man. But no - better to just injure the guy, right? What a bunch of chickensh*t.

That Bieksa footage is worth seeing! ^_^ Yeah, he's starting to sound better. Good call Wamsley. (I almost mentioned the late-80s team as an exception to the Habs' rule of being primarily fast and skilled. That team was certainly skilled, but it more closely resembled a Flyers/Bruins squad in its bulk, toughness, and - in Craig 'Elblows' Ludwig among others - willingness to initiate dirty play).

P K Subban should has created a reputation in the league as a blabber mouth and in my opinion as well as others he should chill out. With all the talent that this kid has we need him in the line up rather than the infirmary nursing a broken jaw or a broken wrist. Yesterday's game against Philly he checked a flyer's player directly behind Carey's net causing Carey to fall flat on the ice. That was stupid! So chill out P K cause we need you playing rather than seeing you in a neck brace. :unsure:

Subban needs to keep doing what he is doing. If that is what got him to the NHL, then be my guest.

Richards has a problem because he was pissed off that their goonery didn't alter the outcome of the game.

Him talking about respect is an absolute joke. It is like Paris Hilton telling a teenage girl not to ###### on the first date.

Richards sounds like he is believing his own hype a little too much.

If he becomes a distraction to his team (which I don't for one second believe he is) you don't think Gionta, Gill or Gomez will let him know?

When Richards puts a leash on Carcillo and Powe then he talk until then he can go back to attempting to end careers.

The 89 Habs intimidated the Flyers when Chelios decapitated Propp.

Their only recourse was for Hextall to go crazy after the habs whipped their ass.

The Canadiens usually had a Nilan, Robinson, Ewen to take care of business should the other team

take liberties. They need somebody to not play punching bag. A week ago I would have said no to Bieksa

Now, I would be fine with it. Make it happen Pierre!!

I loved watching those two videos of Bieksa beatin' the crap out of Richards. I second your motion. Sign Bieksa ASAP!!!

Edited by Habsfan

It's not about beating the goon, but neutralizing them: if Henry comes in and goes with Powe or whoever, that means Powe is tired and not able to run around against the other Habs for a good chunk of time. I'll take a Henry for Powe tradeoff.

He is absolutely right. If somebody would have been able to take care of Powe after that nasty hit on Gorges, maybe he would've thought twice about hitting Halpern from behind. I like the fact Lapierre tried to defend his team mate, but let's face it, Lapierre is no fighter. It's not like he taught Powe a lesson or even intimidated him one bit.

I loved watching those two videos of Bieksa beatin' the crap out of Richards. I second your motion. Sign Bieksa ASAP!!!

I have been searching youtube and he doesn't back down from anybody and has knocked the snot

out of a lot of guys. We need a guy like this to stop the nonsense I witnessed last night.