GDT: Habs vs Maple Leafs, December 11

dlbalr

I am guilty of being one of the addition by subtraction when it came to Gomez, I maintain that he doesn't live up to his salary, and in a cap world this is a worry, but I have to eat crow, if it proves that Gomez was the lynchpin that makes the habs go boom this season.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't we go all the way and make ourselves the official Trap team? We use it already, no point in trying to convince anyone we're above the Trap.

I think New Jersey and/or Minnesota may have beat us to the punch years ago and copyrighted the term 'official trap team.' :)

When the team is playing well it doesn't look like a trap team. They forecheck pretty hard unless the other team has complete control on a break out. I wouldn't consider that a trap.

It looks like i wasn't the only one who had Friday and Saturday off.

I think the main reason why we are seeing so many wild acertions and crazy comments about our Habs is the fact that many of us are ashamed by the way our boys played Saturday night.

Even though we lost to the Red Wings on Friday, I was proud of the way our Habs fought back in the 3rd period. They never gave up, and Detroit had to hold on for dear life just to make it through the game. Even though we lost, I thought it was a "good" loss.

Saturday nights game was totally different. I kinda got the feeling that JM told our boys to take it easy in the 1st period to conserve some energy. If that was in fact the case, I don't like it one bit. It would have been easier to take the lead early in the game and try to conserve our lead on the 3rd rather then trying to score the equalizer. I hate JM's passive aggressive style.

In any case, If we can win one fo the 2 games this week(Bos and Philly) I,ll be happy...but I can easily see us losing both games!

I think the main reason why we are seeing so many wild acertions and crazy comments about our Habs is the fact that many of us are ashamed by the way our boys played Saturday night.

Even though we lost to the Red Wings on Friday, I was proud of the way our Habs fought back in the 3rd period. They never gave up, and Detroit had to hold on for dear life just to make it through the game. Even though we lost, I thought it was a "good" loss.

Saturday nights game was totally different. I kinda got the feeling that JM told our boys to take it easy in the 1st period to conserve some energy. If that was in fact the case, I don't like it one bit. It would have been easier to take the lead early in the game and try to conserve our lead on the 3rd rather then trying to score the equalizer. I hate JM's passive aggressive style.

In any case, If we can win one fo the 2 games this week(Bos and Philly) I,ll be happy...but I can easily see us losing both games!

It's just the typical over reaction to a loss to the Leafs. Leaf fans tend to take any opportunity of

success to proclaim their greatness. Remember how arrogant they were after they started 4-0?

The majority of people on this board know a Leaf fan, and those outside of Montreal probably are not

happy going to work or viewing facebook because they will be harrassed by Leaf Nation.

At the end of the day, it is temporary and unimportant. The Leafs have beaten the Habs over 20 times

since 2006 and have won ZERO playoff games. Let them have their moment.

I am not sure if I read it here, or on Habsinsideout, but somebody nailed it when they said there is

zero benefit to playing the Leafs. When you win, it is beating up a bottom feeder, when you lose

you have to deal with Leaf Nation.

Even if they lose against Boston and Philly they will be fine.

P.S. Auld was brutal on those two goals, but it goes to show the difference between the average goaltenders

in the league and the elite. It isn't glaring like 20 years ago, but it is small things like puck tracking and depth.

Edited by Wamsley01

P.S. Auld was brutal on those two goals, but it goes to show the difference between the average goaltenders

in the league and the elite. It isn't glaring like 20 years ago, but it is small things like puck tracking and depth.

I don't know if there is a goalie out there that can play three games in thirty and be on the top of his game. Give him a break. Give him more games if you want him to play like a number one.

I am not sure if I read it here, or on Habsinsideout, but somebody nailed it when they said there is

zero benefit to playing the Leafs. When you win, it is beating up a bottom feeder, when you lose

you have to deal with Leaf Nation.

Say it, brother! I remember in '93, people saying how great it would be to have a Leafs-Habs final. And my view was that I wanted no part of that series. If the Habs won, it would be treated as 'just another' Cup for the Habs and all we'd hear about for the next 50 years would be The Great Leafs' Run of 1993 (along with memories of 1967 of course). I mean, we STILL hear more about Gimour in 1993 than we do about the truly historic Habs run of that same year.

If the Leafs somehow won that series, meanwhile, why we'd never hear the end of it. Look at 1967. The Habs have won 10 Cups since then; yet none of those, including the genuinely miraculous runs of 1971 and 1993, has generated anything comparable to the mystique and subsequent media coverage of the Leafs' last Cup, at least not from the comically Toronto-centric CBC. In short, all that counts is what the Leafs do.

So we can't win no matter what happens when we play the Leafs. As far as I'm concerned, Saturday night's listless performance was a result of a high-end team being unmotivated for a game against bottom-feeding garbage, especially after an emotional and truly meaningful game the previous night. Not exactly a towering moral victory for TO. But try finding that perspective presented anywhere in our 'national' media.

Say it, brother! I remember in '93, people saying how great it would be to have a Leafs-Habs final. And my view was that I wanted no part of that series. If the Habs won, it would be treated as 'just another' Cup for the Habs and all we'd hear about for the next 50 years would be The Great Leafs' Run of 1993 (along with memories of 1967 of course). I mean, we STILL hear more about Gimour in 1993 than we do about the truly historic Habs run of that same year.

If the Leafs somehow won that series, meanwhile, why we'd never hear the end of it. Look at 1967. The Habs have won 10 Cups since then; yet none of those, including the genuinely miraculous runs of 1971 and 1993, has generated anything comparable to the mystique and subsequent media coverage of the Leafs' last Cup, at least not from the comically Toronto-centric CBC. In short, all that counts is what the Leafs do.

So we can't win no matter what happens when we play the Leafs. As far as I'm concerned, Saturday night's listless performance was a result of a high-end team being unmotivated for a game against bottom-feeding garbage, especially after an emotional and truly meaningful game the previous night. Not exactly a towering moral victory for TO. But try finding that perspective presented anywhere in our 'national' media.

I got the following message sent to me Saturday night.

"No comment on your Habs? That's what you get for taking a team lightly!"

Unprovoked. I just told him those with big dongs don't concern themselves with those with little ones.

I am 100% with you on 1993. I was cheering so hard for the Kings it was like the Habs played 12 Conference

Final games. Add in the 14 other games with the Wings and Blues and I watched 45 games with intensity.

That is why 93 will never be topped for me.

Edited by Wamsley01

I don't know if there is a goalie out there that can play three games in thirty and be on the top of his game. Give him a break. Give him more games if you want him to play like a number one.

It is what it is. He is a professional, it is his job. They were bad goals and they were the difference.

He will never play like a number one. He has had close to 10 years in the league and he is an average

goaltender, that is why he is a backup. I am not blaming him, just pointing out how poor he played

both those goals.

A back-up goalie is our greatest need?? When we have the most used and (according to Todd MacLellan and Mike Babcock) best goalie of this season on our team?

Do you think that Buffalo's greatest need is a back up goalie they can have confidence in when Ryan Miller is on the bench? Or that the Rangers badly need a back up goalie to support Lundqvist? ...Or that Pittsburgh should pick up a center in case Crosby or Malkin gets injured?

Logically you add to your weakness, not to your strength.

Only in Montreal do people complain about the back up goalie that plays 3 out of 30 games and plays typical back up goalie quality hockey. Not to mention that Auld was almost perfect in his first game, a 3-1 win, made something like 44 saves in his second start and then stopped 22 of 24 last night. Price probably would have saved both goals but that's the cost of giving your elite goalie a rest if you don't want to "ride him into the ground."

After one game, people said Auld was impressive. After two games, he was still solid. After three games, the league's #2 D needs a back up goalie more than they need an upgrade on Moen on the 2nd line.

Auld seems to be more than holding up his part of the deal. It's tough to ride the pine and expect to shine. ...not that a talented player like me ever had to ride pine....

A back-up goalie is our greatest need?? When we have the most used and (according to Todd MacLellan and Mike Babcock) best goalie of this season on our team?

Do you think that Buffalo's greatest need is a back up goalie they can have confidence in when Ryan Miller is on the bench? Or that the Rangers badly need a back up goalie to support Lundqvist? ...Or that Pittsburgh should pick up a center in case Crosby or Malkin gets injured?

Nope Buffalo needs is a new Owner who will keep talent in Buffalo, unlike minority owner and managing partner Larry Quinn who is only interested in protecting his stake in the club. IF Terry Pegula had been there 5 years ago, when Buffalo was considered the model organization in the NHL coming out of the lockout, they'd have probably won a stanely cup or two instead of letting all their UFA walk, and missing or barely making the playoffs.

THanks BTH for making my point for me...Rangers are a perfect example. Biron is playing outstanding and giving Lundqvist a rest. Lundqvist one of the most overplayed goalies in the NHL with Luongo and Broduer. Currently he is on pace to play about 8 games less than he has the last few years. THats going to make a world of difference come playoff time when he will be better rested.

Carey Price cannot play 70 + games and expect to have the Habs go far into the playoffs. ITs not a receipe for success.

Nope Buffalo needs is a new Owner who will keep talent in Buffalo, unlike minority owner and managing partner Larry Quinn who is only interested in protecting his stake in the club. IF Terry Pegula had been there 5 years ago, when Buffalo was considered the model organization in the NHL coming out of the lockout, they'd have probably won a stanely cup or two instead of letting all their UFA walk, and missing or barely making the playoffs.

THanks BTH for making my point for me...Rangers are a perfect example. Biron is playing outstanding and giving Lundqvist a rest. Lundqvist one of the most overplayed goalies in the NHL with Luongo and Broduer. Currently he is on pace to play about 8 games less than he has the last few years. THats going to make a world of difference come playoff time when he will be better rested.

Carey Price cannot play 70 + games and expect to have the Habs go far into the playoffs. ITs not a receipe for success.

Biron is playing outstanding? Since when is a .910 SV% outstanding? It's actually smack dab in the middle, making

him an average backup, just like Auld.

Martin Brodeur has played 70+ games 12 times. He won a Stanley Cup playing 72 and 73 games.

He lost in the Stanley Cup Finals playing 73 games.

It didn't become a playoff issue until he got into his 30s.

From 1994-2003 (age 22-31) Brodeur started 84% of the Devils regular season games (69 per season).

During that time he won 83 playoff games in 138 starts.

So for a 10 year period he played 800 games. Sounds like a recipe for success for the Devils.

Fuhr won a Cup starting 70+ games, Hasek made the Conference Finals starting 72, Irbe a Conference Finals,

Nabokov a Conference Final, etc etc.

That doesn't include all the goaltenders who have been successful in the playoffs playing 65+ games.

Veteran backup goaltenders success is entirely reliant on the team ahead of them. Luxuries like Halak are rare

in the salary cap age and if you believe in the superstar goaltender method of building your team, you have to

roll with the Auld's and Biron's of the world as your backup.

Price is 23 and until I see signs of him actually becoming fatigued in the playoffs, then I am not going to be concerned

about it. He is a young thoroughbred, let him run.

Edited by Wamsley01