Mini-GDT: Habs vs Leafs, Apr. 9

dlbalr

Oh NO! Not the dreaded third period 3 goal lead!

Nice.. even in these circumstances.. to be finishing the season with a win over the Laffs. :youpi:

Sigh... we are going to get Boston. I really wanted to avoid them in the first round. The habs are not firing on all cylinders and Boston is no longer scared of playing us.

Sadly, I predict Boston in 6.

I really think we could take Philly right now.

Sigh... we are going to get Boston. I really wanted to avoid them in the first round. The habs are not firing on all cylinders and Boston is no longer scared of playing us.

4I was thinking the same thing Brobin. Philly as been playing horribly lately. Well, let's see how the boys do.

As a Habs fan, I refuse to be daunted at the prospect of Boston in the playoffs. Nor do I think that we should feel that way, rationally. We have outplayed the Bruins pretty consistently this season, except for that 7-0 abortion after Chara's attempted murder - clearly an outlier.

More importantly, some key cogs in last year's playoff drive - Gionta, Cammalleri, and Gomez - are showing strong signs of bringing their 'A' game, something we haven't seen all season. Added bonuses include Kostitsyn, who is on fire and will be huge if he can carry it into the dance; and Spacek, who is healthy and playing surprisingly well and, most important of all, rested. Plekanec has also, finally, got his wheels back. He now has the body of work behind him where I would expect him to put his lingering playoff issues to rest. Darche is a plausible candidate for 'secret weapon' come playoff time. As a whole, the team is not quite firing at 100% but is definitely in a position to enter the playoffs with confidence.

I really regret the absences of MaxPac, Markov and Gorges (not to mention Halpern), because with them I believe we'd really be quite a formidable opponent. But I'll take my chances with this resilient bunch. They believe in the system and are hard to beat when they play it wth confidence and commitment. If Price brings what he can bring, we're in for a helluva series.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

You have to give JM some credit. He has a team that is one of the most injured in the league. He has several of this top players in career worse years. He got 96 points out of this team.

I might not like all his moves, but he clearly is doing something right..

Sure we might be able to take Philly now, but weeks ago the Flyers were the dark cloud that Montreal had no chance of beating in the minds of most. I remember *almost* everyone commenting that they wanted to avoid Philly.

If they are playing so terribly, let Buffalo take a run at them. THAT would be an amazing upset.

We have other work to do right now.

A Boston / Montreal first round is the matchup I've been waiting for since Chara levelled Patches. This could be the defeat to finally put the gears to Marchand, Chara and the Boston loving media.

I once wrote that I would love nothing more than watching the Bruins line up at the end of the series to shake hands with tears in their eyes. I meant it. I believe it will happen.

The hockey gods have spoken, their will must be done, Boston will fall at the hands of a bunch of cheating, whining losers from French Canada.

If we lose, so be it. Wasn't our time.

BUT if we win, it could be the push the Habs need to go all the way. ( provided that we don't lose more key players during what will undoubtably be the most intense round 1 in the East. )

I want to see Pouliot, Desharnes and Eller on a line again tonight.

I will be watching from an airport bar before a trans Atlantic red eye flight.

check in

security

beer

Habs win

mile high club

sleep

hello London

should be a good night

Good luck on the UK shoot YeahBud, look forward to seeing the footage when you get back.

Though I believe your night will go more like this:

check in

security

beer

*habs win* ( nice prediction )

board plane half cut

engage in 30 mins of small talk with stranger, then silence for the rest of the flight

more beer

pass out on terrible airplane pillow

wake up feeling like you slept in the backseat of a chevette during mid summer

hit the ground, make magic

Momentum into the playoffs is meaningless.

Last season the Habs backed in with an OT point and knocked off the Caps in 7 games. In 1993 they collapsed and blew a huge division lead to the Bruins and won the Cup.

Just because Philly did nothing down the stretch doesn't mean that they can't demolish the Sabres. This is exactly the type of mindset that lead to the fanbase thinking keeping Carey Price was ridiculous. It would have also lead us to media taking the Leafs to beat the Flyers had they made it because they played .700 hockey for 2 months. The Habs were 8-0 against the Bruins and were life and death to beat them in 7 games.

New season. What was done yesterday, two weeks ago or 3 months ago is meaningless.

The 7-0 game is as meaningful as the 4-0 whipping the Habs put on the Bruins before Chara decided to try and kill somebody.

Momentum into the playoffs is meaningless.

Last season the Habs backed in with an OT point and knocked off the Caps in 7 games. In 1993 they collapsed and blew a huge division lead to the Bruins and won the Cup.

Just because Philly did nothing down the stretch doesn't mean that they can't demolish the Sabres. This is exactly the type of mindset that lead to the fanbase thinking keeping Carey Price was ridiculous. It would have also lead us to media taking the Leafs to beat the Flyers had they made it because they played .700 hockey for 2 months. The Habs were 8-0 against the Bruins and were life and death to beat them in 7 games.

New season. What was done yesterday, two weeks ago or 3 months ago is meaningless.

The 7-0 game is as meaningful as the 4-0 whipping the Habs put on the Bruins before Chara decided to try and kill somebody.

100%. I agree that the Bruins have to be considered favourites - that's just common sense, based on the rosters on paper and the standings. What is NOT common sense is the attitude of deep pessimism and resignation emanating out of some quarters. We KNOW the Habs can play with the Bruins; that's been proven over and over again this season. How the two teams looked for a few games in March is irrelevant to that wider story. So the smart money favours the Bruins, but not by much. We have a solid chance. Enjoy it.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

+1 to Cucs and Wams.

You have to like our chances. The playoffs are a whole new chapter in the season.

I'm sure it will be roller coaster ride of posts ranging from " yay! we won" and " wow the Habs look terrible " but it will be great which ever way it goes.

The team is building into an impressive lineup of talented players who can go with the best of'em. Even if it doesn't work out as we hope this year I have a feeling we are building to something great.

When had the habs relished under the title of favourite in the last little while, the role of underdog fights this 'underdog' of a team anyway. Let the media crow, let the McGuires, the Cherrys, the Milbury exclaim the habs are gonna beat up by the schoolyard bully Chara, when the only meaningful thing Chara did this season against the habs was illegally injure a habs player, he has not been this 'monster' that the media have been crowing about against the habs.

When had the habs relished under the title of favourite in the last little while, the role of underdog fights this 'underdog' of a team anyway. Let the media crow, let the McGuires, the Cherrys, the Milbury exclaim the habs are gonna beat up by the schoolyard bully Chara, when the only meaningful thing Chara did this season against the habs was illegally injure a habs player, he has not been this 'monster' that the media have been crowing about against the habs.

Well, Chara did record 1 goal and 4 assists against the Habs in 6 games, going +1, so I wouldn't go quite as far as you. But I suspect you're otherwise right and the media will deify Chara until given reason not to.

Well, Chara did record 1 goal and 4 assists against the Habs in 6 games, going +1, so I wouldn't go quite as far as you. But I suspect you're otherwise right and the media will deify Chara until given reason not to.

3 of those points came in the last game which was a 7-0 romp.

So in the first 5 games he had 1 goal and 1 assist and was -2.