Yemelin close to Montreal

JCPetit

well then it is an easy decision I say goodbye. on this team I do not think he is a top 4 d now much less next year. God we are good :habslogo:

I agree that Hamrlik isn't coming back at that price, but I also don't see him taking as big a discount as it would take for him to stick around.

I'm curious as to what salary you think Gill will (or should) sign at. I imagine somewhere around 1.5-1.7... maybe less on a multi-year deal.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still don't know why everyone is assuming both Wiz and Markov can't be signed. We have some money to spend this summer.

As long as one of them signs a 1 year deal, sure the money's there. Both on multi year deals though creates a less than desirable scenario for next season. I don't want to go over the whole calculation but I've crunched the numbers with both and I don't like what the situation looks like once Subban/Price get raises.

We will never know if it would or not, but the difference between losing Markov and Gorges lies in the adequate replacement.

Markov was replaced by Subban and Gorges was replaced by Sopel. There was no replacement for a scoring power forward.

So ultimately the Markov/Gorges replacement replaced 80% of their ability (with the way Subban played in the playoffs I think it is fair to say close to 100%).

Who replaced Pacioretty's 30 goal production on the Gomez line in the playoffs? He had 4 goals and 2 assists in 3.5 games against the Bruins this season.

Moen and Darche had 3 points in 7 games. How would Gomez/Gionta have benefitted from playing with a dominant scoring winger with size?

I don't think it is a stretch to think Pacioretty wouldn't have made a difference over 7 games.

You're right in that there was no replacement for Pacioretty, at least not with the same impact Subban had stepping in for Markov.

Neither Moen or Darche are or became the kind of impact player MaxPac likely would have been in the playoffs.

Speculatively, yes, Max might have made a difference over 7 games but the fact that he had 4 goals and 2 assists in the regular season is not a guarantee that he would have kept that pace in the playoffs.

I don't think losing Pacioretty = losing the series, there was way to much at play during those seven games for it all to be that simple.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player and it kills me that Chara recklessly removed him from the Habs lineup. I just can't pin the first round loss squarely on that one event.

Edit: This really doesn't need to be debated in the Yemelin thread, apologies for getting way off topic.

I agree that Hamrlik isn't coming back at that price, but I also don't see him taking as big a discount as it would take for him to stick around.

I'm curious as to what salary you think Gill will (or should) sign at. I imagine somewhere around 1.5-1.7... maybe less on a multi-year deal.

yeah u r right gill !.5 hammer 1.5 , and I know u all think I am tooooooo cheap. In a cap age cheap is good. Gauthier is the cheapest guy I have seen. I love Big BOB but he paid too much for only passable guys. no multi year deals for 35+ guys

yeah u r right gill !.5 hammer 1.5 , and I know u all think I am tooooooo cheap. In a cap age cheap is good. Gauthier is the cheapest guy I have seen. I love Big BOB but he paid too much for only passable guys. no multi year deals for 35+ guys

Canoe sports has the Emelin a done deal today.

Canoe sports has the Emelin a done deal today.

Great, finally. Glad the Habs were able to sign him on a 2way deal. He has to earn his spot, like anyone else. He'll surely have his chance, so it's up to him to show he can play in the best league, for the most storied franchise.

If we're able to sign Markov, that would bode well for Emelin's odds of success in N.A.

He also has a reported AHL salary of $70,300 since it is a two-way deal. The reported signing bonus that is appearing in the Twitterbug on the site is interesting as it's a 30% bonus. Currently, the max is 10% but since his terms are from the old CBA, they probably don't apply here.

So is it Alexei Yemelin or Alexei Emelin? Evidently neither, based on the Habs' press release. Now, it's Alexsey Emelin.

Meehan called the Habs and says his client prefers Alexei Yemelin. That is what it was on the KHL's website, but that being said they once had Kyle Wellwood as something like Cail Ulwood or something. I was looking at a scoresheet and couldn't figure out who the heck that player was... until I saw the picture.

finally!!!!!!!!! this is a great signing , and for cheap, according to tsn and hio no bonuses. Pierre you have made us proud Me anyways, :clap:

Just so you know, we are reporting the same info too, before HIO did no less. :)

Just so you know, we are reporting the same info too, before HIO did no less. :)

excellent but I did read a couple of posts that talked about bonuses so I was simply trying to clear that up.

As long as one of them signs a 1 year deal, sure the money's there. Both on multi year deals though creates a less than desirable scenario for next season. I don't want to go over the whole calculation but I've crunched the numbers with both and I don't like what the situation looks like once Subban/Price get raises.

Both Spacek and Moen come off the books by then... Plus Gomez will be more easily movable/buried in the minors...

That doesn't cover Subban and Price's respective raises?

Both Spacek and Moen come off the books by then... Plus Gomez will be more easily movable/buried in the minors...

That doesn't cover Subban and Price's respective raises?

You have to throw Eller in the mix as well.

Well, there was some (healthy) skepticism when I first posted the rumour about this signing, but it's finally done nonetheless.

Great addition to the team IMO. I like what I see of him on YouTube. Now, we just need to sign Gorges and Markov, and the defense will be pretty much settled for next season.

The next move should be the signing of one or two good wingers. I don't see many prospects on the UFA list though. Of course, Brad Richards would be a nice pick, but there are a bunch of teams who think the same thing...

Nobody seems ready to join the team in the farm system. Danny Kristo is probably very close to the NHL, talent-wise, but the fact that management did not sign him at the end of the season, in time to join the Bulldogs, tells me that he is closer to the doghouse for the time being. Let's say that it is understandable after the troubles he had in the last season...

Fair enough, but so far he hasn't really done anything to warrant much of a raise beyond his current performance bonuses.

Regardless, there's him to note as well as other pending RFA's that will get raises between now and then. Here's a quickie version of the numbers (note rough approximations) assuming both Markov/Wisniewski sign multi year deals, hypothesizing a 62 M cap in 2 years time (I think the owners will be able to curtail the annual increases in the pending CBA):

Goalies: 6 mil (Let's say Price 5, backup 1)

Defence: ~22 mil (Markov, Wisniewski combined for 10.5, Subban at 3.5, Gorges at 2.75, 3 others at 5 combined which likely would include an entry level player)

This leaves give or take $34 million for the forwards, less if you want to have a cushion so let's say 33. Already, 23.4 of that is committed to Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, and Plekanec. This leaves about 10 million for 9 other forwards. If you give Kostitsyn a multi year pact for around 4 (what it'd take to get him to sign one), you're now down to 6 million for 8 forwards. That's not going to work well unless you get 3 or 4 free agents to pull a Paul Kariya with Colorado. That's why I say signing both Wisniewski and Markov beyond next season isn't palatable unless you manage to find a taker for one of the four forwards under contract (and even then that doesn't help much as you'd need a big-ish ticket player to replace him).

Regardless, there's him to note as well as other pending RFA's that will get raises between now and then. Here's a quickie version of the numbers (note rough approximations) assuming both Markov/Wisniewski sign multi year deals, hypothesizing a 62 M cap in 2 years time (I think the owners will be able to curtail the annual increases in the pending CBA):

Goalies: 6 mil (Let's say Price 5, backup 1)

Defence: ~22 mil (Markov, Wisniewski combined for 10.5, Subban at 3.5, Gorges at 2.75, 3 others at 5 combined which likely would include an entry level player)

This leaves give or take $34 million for the forwards, less if you want to have a cushion so let's say 33. Already, 23.4 of that is committed to Gomez, Gionta, Cammalleri, and Plekanec. This leaves about 10 million for 9 other forwards. If you give Kostitsyn a multi year pact for around 4 (what it'd take to get him to sign one), you're now down to 6 million for 8 forwards. That's not going to work well unless you get 3 or 4 free agents to pull a Paul Kariya with Colorado. That's why I say signing both Wisniewski and Markov beyond next season isn't palatable unless you manage to find a taker for one of the four forwards under contract (and even then that doesn't help much as you'd need a big-ish ticket player to replace him).

Unless the thinking is to sign Markov and Wiz and find a way to get rid of Gomez at the end of the season. His replacement would not make nearly as much as him, so that could leave at least 10 million for the remaining 8 forwards, most of which will be comprised of young players making under 2M: Eller, Desharnais, Pacioretty, White, Pyatt.

It could work, it just depends how bold they are with Gomez.

Unless the thinking is to sign Markov and Wiz and find a way to get rid of Gomez at the end of the season. His replacement would not make nearly as much as him, so that could leave at least 10 million for the remaining 8 forwards, most of which will be comprised of young players making under 2M: Eller, Desharnais, Pacioretty, White, Pyatt.

It could work, it just depends how bold they are with Gomez.

There are two key assumptions to make from that:

1) They will find a way to move Gomez - is it possible with the backloaded deal? Sure, but it's not as if he's the only player in the league with a frontloaded deal, there will be competition from other teams to unload their big tickets as well. It's also hard to fathom ownership greenlighting an AHL burial for 2012-13 already.

2) The players you have listed have to become the secondary core this team has lacked in terms of scoring. It stands to reason that Eller, Desharnais, and Pacioretty will have cap hits above $1.25 million (average salary with 10 million and 8 roster spots) while Leblanc will come in mere thousands under that as well. It doesn't leave any room at all for external help, at least for external players who want a 7-figure salary.

I think both assumptions, though clearly ideal, are hard to make within the next 6 weeks. That's why I think one of the two will go should both insist on multi-year deals.