Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

If he signs, don't be surprised if it's an NHL deal for this season.  That's the only carrot left the Habs have to offer to dissuade him from going to free agency in August.

I just keep thinking, Habs arnt lacking in bottom six checkers and no big loss if signs elsewhere?:spamafote:

3 hours ago, DON said:

I just keep thinking, Habs arnt lacking in bottom six checkers and no big loss if signs elsewhere?:spamafote:

Three of the current roster (Pearson, White, Ylonen) likely not back next season ... Anderson and Gallagher wouldn't be if I had a magic wand ... Armia is I-M-O unlikely to be extended (despite his post New Years play) and hopefully tradeable at the 25/25 deadline ... Evans has one more season but likely will be too expensive to renew as a 4C, and not I-M-O a 3C on the playoff/Cup contender the Habs are rebuilding towards ... so the question is likely whether Tuch's skill, size and aggressiveness gives him a better bottom-6 NHL future than RHP, Pezzetta and any Rockets ... my hope is that in 2-3 years Tuch and Whekaj could be 2/3 of the 4th line.

4 hours ago, DON said:

How many of those are big and play with physicality?  That's something the Habs don't have a lot of in their prospect pool.

18 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

How many of those are big and play with physicality?  That's something the Habs don't have a lot of in their prospect pool.

Sounds like he signed anyways, so management thought worthwhile.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

It appears that the Habs have made an offer, but I don't think Tuch has signed yet.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Three of the current roster (Pearson, White, Ylonen) likely not back next season ... Anderson and Gallagher wouldn't be if I had a magic wand ... Armia is I-M-O unlikely to be extended (despite his post New Years play) and hopefully tradeable at the 25/25 deadline ... Evans has one more season but likely will be too expensive to renew as a 4C, and not I-M-O a 3C on the playoff/Cup contender the Habs are rebuilding towards ... so the question is likely whether Tuch's skill, size and aggressiveness gives him a better bottom-6 NHL future than RHP, Pezzetta and any Rockets ... my hope is that in 2-3 years Tuch and Whekaj could be 2/3 of the 4th line.

It's a lot of assumptions (Armia, Evans and others); so much depends on whether Hughes' assumptions match yours (or mine)--and what deals they are able to make in the summer. Getting rid of Armia, Evans, Pearson and Ylonen, for example, will make our already-weak PK far worse yet, so that would likely be contingent on signing someone that can also take on that role.

Hab's PK TOI this year.

image.png

18 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

It's a lot of assumptions (Armia, Evans and others); so much depends on whether Hughes' assumptions match yours (or mine)--and what deals they are able to make in the summer. Getting rid of Armia, Evans, Pearson and Ylonen, for example, will make our already-weak PK far worse yet, so that would likely be contingent on signing someone that can also take on that role.

Hab's PK TOI this year.

image.png

I expect HuGo to be making moves based on where they want the team to be in 25/26 or 26/27 ... not 24/25.

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect HuGo to be making moves based on where they want the team to be in 25/26 or 26/27 ... not 24/25.

Yes. But PK will be needed in in 2025-26 as well. Possibly after that, too. 🙂

My point really is that players like Evans and Armia do have value beyond their point production. And that we'll need some capable PK players as well. We'll see what Hughes decides to do in this regard.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Hab's PK TOI this year.

image.png

I agree with you, the PK has not performed well for long pans this season. I doubt they "get rid" or Armia this summer. Pearson and Ylonen are not going to be re-signed IMHO; but I would not mind seeing White come pack to training camp on a PTO to be a 14th forward, in case on eof the Hab's centers gets hurt again. I doubt HughGort will consider Gignac an option to start the year in the NHL.

I doubt Luke Tuch starts in the NHL next season. He will be a winger in Laval probably replacing Cederqvist.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Yes. But PK will be needed in in 2025-26 as well. Possibly after that, too. 🙂

My point really is that players like Evans and Armia do have value beyond their point production. And that we'll need some capable PK players as well. We'll see what Hughes decides to do in this regard.

No doubt they have value ... but where they fit beyond next season will, I-M-O, have more bearing on what (if anything) happens to them this summer, or at the 24/25 deadline.

Also, some moves are meant for the AHL team, not necessarily for the projected NHL roster. Tuch still needs to prove he can play at the next level, I do not think he has proven he is a legitimate NHL prospect yet.

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

8 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No doubt they have value ... but where they fit beyond next season will, I-M-O, have more bearing on what (if anything) happens to them this summer, or at the 24/25 deadline.

I have no argument with that. As I said, I think it depends on what deals Hughes makes in the summer and whether he thinks he has better options for those positions. I don't expect that Evans would make much more than his current $1.7M, and Armia would likely cost less than he makes today. Hughes gets paid the big bucks to figure out whether those two (and others) are worth extending, but (at least for me) it's impossible to determine the right choices without knowing what the other puzzle pieces are.

The return for Evans, for example, will surely be just a late-round pick, which really doesn't have much value. And his salary is not onerous, so the big question is who will fill that role in 2025 and beyond. Maybe Beck will be ready? But that is not known yet this summer so I suspect Hughes would not move Evans until he has either another player for this role or higher confidence that Beck will be able to fill it.

6 hours ago, DON said:

He hasn't signed yet.  It sounds like things are heading in that direction so I'm surprised it's not done yet.

42 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

He hasn't signed yet.  It sounds like things are heading in that direction so I'm surprised it's not done yet.

"Talk" is that the outstanding issue is whether he signs for 23/24 and burns a year or signs a 24/25 ELC.

19 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Marc-Antoine Godin thinks Tuch will sign the deal tonight or tomorrow. He's usually pretty reliable ...

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Lane Hutson claims (on Instagram) that Tuch has signed a 2Y ELC.

image.jpeg

but is the first year of the ELC 23/24 or 24/25?

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Marc-Antoine Godin thinks Tuch will sign the deal tonight or tomorrow. He's usually pretty reliable ...

If it's a deal starting this season, it's possible they wait until after 5 PM, thus not counting on the books until Tuesday.  That's the only logic I can see with waiting.

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Lane Hutson claims (on Instagram) that Tuch has signed a 2Y ELC.

image.jpeg

That's from yesterday, citing the Friedman report that said it was trending toward him signing.  

Just now, DON said:

ONCE signed, will he likely go hang out with Laval team till they are toast?

Read somewhere that if he signs a 23/24 ELC he is ineligible for Laval ... if he signs a 24/25 ELC he can sign a PTO with Laval and join them.

Any actual confirmation on Tuch yet? What’s the point of waiting? He won’t actually be able to play if he waits until the Eason is over?

18 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Any actual confirmation on Tuch yet? What’s the point of waiting? He won’t actually be able to play if he waits until the Eason is over?

Its not just waiting.  It sounds like its negotiations on when his deal begins.

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Read somewhere that if he signs a 23/24 ELC he is ineligible for Laval ... if he signs a 24/25 ELC he can sign a PTO with Laval and join them.

Correct.