Avalanche @ Canadiens Oct 15 2011 7:00 pm Puck Drop

kenadian

They dont trust their defensemen and price has been very average

On at least three of the avs goals tonight, the defensive breakdown was by a forward, not a Dman.

Only one was a breakdown by the D.

Who should be trusting who?

With 4 young D back there, the forwards have to tighten up.

I hate shootouts.

Pleks on the shootout... .Love the guy, but penalty shots are not his thing.

POST, goddamnit.

Come on price, make a save.

damnit nice try patches.

And again.... can't stop them.... Not Price's night.

This is why i'm hoping Spacek is out for a while. Only way we are going to find out if Emelin, Diaz and Weber can play is they actually get some minutes.

Too much youth in one game at once. I doubt the Habs make the playoffs if Emelin, Diaz, Subban and Weber all play in every game. Teams with defense that young don't do well, straight up.

As I'm not doing the 3 Stars tonight, here are my quick stats notes that I'd normally include in the article:

- No Hab was 50% on the draw, they all were below.

- Tonight's TOI leader among the forwards? David Desharnais, that surprised me.

- This was the second straight game Cole had 6 hits.

What team isn't in tough when their goalie doesn't play good and is merely ordinary?

Meant to say when he is just good or ordinary (as opposed to outstanding or great).

As far as teams that have done well despite, just ordinary goaltending, Detroit, Pens, Caps, Flyers (for the past 4 years), Hawks, Sharks, Devils (year before last when Brodeur was out and they actually HAD a system - as opposed to the Penguin's so-called system) and Ottawa prior to last year come to mind.

The habs on the other hand need their goalie to be among the top three stars to win.

Too much youth in one game at once. I doubt the Habs make the playoffs if Emelin, Diaz, Subban and Weber all play in every game. Teams with defense that young don't do well, straight up.

There is no reason why we can't if we have at least a consistent effort from the forwards. Right now EVERYONE seems to be playing like chickens with their heads cut-off in their own end.

As far as defensive pairings, I'd rather see Emelin and Diaz to together, since they at least have a lot more pro experience and having Weber paired with Gill.

The D, I don't really have a problem with.

Of all the goals tonight.... I can only lay one at the hands of a defenceman, and that was PK's big gaffe.

The first one i'm still not sure exactly what happened or how it went in. But lets chalk it up to Carey as he's apparently saying "3 of the goals were his fault" in the room to the media tonight.

But three of the goals were the direct result of a forward losing his man. Moen (twice) and Patches (once) get the blame on those.

Well... I liked what I saw from the Habs. The 3 lines were all dangerous, which is promising, And with all the talk about the D, Emelin is pretty solid, Diaz and Weber, yeah they're not perfect, yet I didn't see too many errors from them. I was seeing lots of awesome passes out of the D zone, especially from Emelin, and the D zone coverage isn't too bad, they usually keep the players on the outside.

Price and Subban did not have a great game... Subban was all over the place.

It's still early in the season, I don't like how they're 1.5 games behind .500, yet at least it's only 1.5 games.

They just gotta tighten up the TEAM game.

I really like #74. Reminds me of... Markov. There, I said it. May not have the offensive touch and can lay out bodies more, yet he does remind me of a younger Markov. Good first pass and likes to sneak in on that famous side of the ice.

Subban just has to slow down and let the game come to him.

Gionta 1G 2A

Desharnais 1G 1A

Pacioretty 1G 1A

Palushaj had some good shifts. Cole is a power foward, he's older he will warm up. AK is awesome.. he gets too much crit sometimes. It's nice to have Eller back.

Pleks is always Pleks!

Also, because I like to defend the young D...

Weber +2 21:01 TOI

Diaz +1 21:58 TOI

Price doesn't look at all like the monster who stoned Winnipeg. Partly it's just bad luck, but he seems shaky. Definitely go with Budaj next time...although I suspect he too will get shelled because of the D in front of him.

I know the forwards have to come back, but look. To me the fact that we're rolling two rookies, one guy with a half-season's experience (Weber), and an erratic sophomore on the blueline is a ridiculous and unsustainable ratio of experience to inexperience for a team not in a rebuilding year. To make matters worse, the nearest cavalry is Spacek, which is a bit like replacing a drooling, bumbling toddler with a dribbling, senile old geezer. As for the forwards, yeah they need to tighten up. They may be uncertain, though, as to which play to expect from the rookies, or they may be pressing to go on the attack because they're always coming from behind, or they may be frustrated because of communications breakdowns; but I cannot believe that if we had seasoned vets in their prime back there we'd be coughing up 4-5 goals a night.

All that being said, much of the problem over the last two games comes back to Subban specifically. He our #1 D-man, under these circumstances, and he CANNOT be coughing up the puck on catastrophic giveaways night after night. And while he is eating up minutes, he is not generating compensatory plays (spectacular rushes, lethal shots from the point, etc) that would at least mitigate the worst effects of his blunders. Note that I am not blaming him. We should have had a better plan than relying on a sophomore to replace Markov for the first two months of the season. He should not have been put in this position.

The good news is that we did some nice things on offence tonight and the team showed sustained flashes of offensive cohesion. Cole seems to be warming up to his teammates and Patches is picking up where he left off. What this team needs now is confidence in its defensive game. There's nothing for it but to keep working, hope for improvements from game to game, and maybe get a few nights where the goalie bails 'em out.

The D, I don't really have a problem with.

Of all the goals tonight.... I can only lay one at the hands of a defenceman, and that was PK's big gaffe.

The first one i'm still not sure exactly what happened or how it went in. But lets chalk it up to Carey as he's apparently saying "3 of the goals were his fault" in the room to the media tonight.

But three of the goals were the direct result of a forward losing his man. Moen (twice) and Patches (once) get the blame on those.

If that was Ak46, AK46 would have rode the bench for a month. That is one of the issues I have with JM. HE is VERY selective in holding players accountable.

Disappointing tonite...the team played well, looked promising at times, if we only had one more save by Price. I think Diaz and Emelin played well; Diaz is playing a better zone, not chasing people around, and Emelin's first pass in the neutral zone improved immensely. Can't blame the offense when they score 5 goals, not the best stuff from Price. What's the scoop with Enquist? Any chance we can sign Chris Clark and get a real NHLer?

Further thought: in fairness, you add three basically new players onto the D (Weber, Diaz, Emelin), even if they play well as individuals, there are stil going to be problems of cohesion - just as there were when Gainey first pasted this forward unit together in one dramatic summer. Goalie doesn't know the D, D don't know the forwards, forwards don't know the D, etc.. Really, early season flailing is only to be expected.

Disappointing tonite...the team played well, looked promising at times, if we only had one more save by Price. I think Diaz and Emelin played well; Diaz is playing a better zone, not chasing people around, and Emelin's first pass in the neutral zone improved immensely. Can't blame the offense when they score 5 goals, not the best stuff from Price. What's the scoop with Enquist? Any chance we can sign Chris Clark and get a real NHLer?

Chris Clark isn't a centre..... You need a centre if you are gonna replace Engqvist.

Also I think Engqvist has been fine in the regular season, for as much as i hated him in preseason. Hes the fourth line centre.... not flashy, but he's not costing us defensively, which is all we really need out of him.

Price doesn't look at all like the monster who stoned Winnipeg. Partly it's just bad luck, but he seems shaky. Definitely go with Budaj next time...although I suspect he too will get shelled because of the D in front of him.

Two days off... I put price back in there again. Knowing his personality, he's the type of guy who when he falls off the horse he wants to get right back on and make up for it. Also the next game is a genuine 4 pointer vs Buffalo.

I know the forwards have to come back, but look. To me the fact that we're rolling two rookies, one guy with a half-season's experience (Weber), and an erratic sophomore on the blueline is a ridiculous and unsustainable ratio of experience to inexperience for a team not in a rebuilding year. To make matters worse, the nearest cavalry is Spacek, which is a bit like replacing a drooling, bumbling toddler with a dribbling, senile old geezer. As for the forwards, yeah they need to tighten up. They may be uncertain, though, as to which play to expect from the rookies, or they may be pressing to go on the attack because they're always coming from behind, or they may be frustrated because of communications breakdowns; but I cannot believe that if we had seasoned vets in their prime back there we'd be coughing up 4-5 goals a night.

I think we over emphasize how bad Spacek is.

Lets remember most of what we have seen and complained about with Spacek, has been times we've seen him playing a) on the wrong side b) as a shutdown pair with Hamrlik.

Obviously he's overpaid, obviously he's not a top pairing dman.... but as a number 5/6 dman I still think he can do that job. Also on the third pairing he can be a stabilizing influence beside one of Diaz, Weber, Emelin... and a positive veteran presence.

I do think we are missing him more than we give him credit for.

I don't want to see him on the right side, and I don't want to see him against other team's best line, but he can still be useful.

All that being said, much of the problem over the last two games comes back to Subban specifically. He our #1 D-man, under these circumstances, and he CANNOT be coughing up the puck on catastrophic giveaways night after night. And while he is eating up minutes, he is not generating compensatory plays (spectacular rushes, lethal shots from the point, etc) that would at least mitigate the worst effects of his blunders. Note that I am not blaming him. We should have had a better plan than relying on a sophomore to replace Markov for the first two months of the season. He should not have been put in this position.

Calgary game... absolutely. He had a really rough night that night.

Tonight.... I saw one catastrophic mistake that needs correcting.... but for the rest of the game, I didn't have issues with Subban's play.

The good news is that we did some nice things on offence tonight and the team showed sustained flashes of offensive cohesion. Cole seems to be warming up to his teammates and Patches is picking up where he left off. What this team needs now is confidence in its defensive game. There's nothing for it but to keep working, hope for improvements from game to game, and maybe get a few nights where the goalie bails 'em out.

Agreed on that... the defensive game (as a five man unit) needs a lot of work and improvement, but it can be done.

Agreed on that... the defensive game (as a five man unit) needs a lot of work and improvement, but it can be done.

This team we are icing atm hasn't played with each other, Emelin and Diaz are new to the nhl, Weber hasn't played a full season on d, Patches, DD, Subban and Lars Eller are all sophomores (plus patches and Eller coming off injuries), Georges is coming off injury as well, plus we have Engqvist and Palushaj rookie/ahl call ups.

It's not a surprise what so ever that it's shaky at the moment as a whole unit. Even when Markov, Spacek, Cammalleri and Campoli come back... remember Markov hasn't really played with any off the sophomores and Campoli has played a single game as a hab. There is still work before we are a full cohesive unit, even when the injured are back.

This team we are icing atm hasn't played with each other, Emelin and Diaz are new to the nhl, Weber hasn't played a full season on d, Patches, DD, Subban and Lars Eller are all sophomores (plus patches and Eller coming off injuries), Georges is coming off injury as well, plus we have Engqvist and Palushaj rookie/ahl call ups.

It's not a surprise what so ever that it's shaky at the moment as a whole unit. Even when Markov, Spacek, Cammalleri and Campoli come back... remember Markov hasn't really played with any off the sophomores and Campoli has played a single game as a hab. There is still work before we are a full cohesive unit, even when the injured are back.

Very sound analysis. I'll refrain from mentioning that cohesion was one more reason to have re-signed Hamrlik :rolleyes: