Avalanche @ Canadiens Oct 15 2011 7:00 pm Puck Drop

kenadian

This team we are icing atm hasn't played with each other, Emelin and Diaz are new to the nhl, Weber hasn't played a full season on d, Patches, DD, Subban and Lars Eller are all sophomores (plus patches and Eller coming off injuries), Georges is coming off injury as well, plus we have Engqvist and Palushaj rookie/ahl call ups.

It's not a surprise what so ever that it's shaky at the moment as a whole unit. Even when Markov, Spacek, Cammalleri and Campoli come back... remember Markov hasn't really played with any off the sophomores and Campoli has played a single game as a hab. There is still work before we are a full cohesive unit, even when the injured are back.

Agreed, playing together is important, and some of the guys are still learning JM's system.

However at least Markov, Spacek, Cammy are familiar with the system, which is at least half the battle going forward so the learning time shouldn't be as big as it was in 2009-10

Very sound analysis. I'll refrain from mentioning that cohesion was one more reason to have re-signed Hamrlik :rolleyes:

Hamrlik would have been great on a one year deal.

Did you really trust him for two years, because thats what he insisted on.

both emelin and diaz need to stay in this lineup! there not even 5 games into there nhl careers and there showing tons of promise.. thats even when spacek is back!!

right now our worst defenders are gill & subban! what's gill doing rushing the puck??

Hamrlik would have been great on a one year deal.

Yeah if we could have got him for one year I do not think we'd be half as worried about our depth... but I wouldn't want to be liable for that secound season.

Yeah if we could have got him for one year I do not think we'd be half as worried about our depth... but I wouldn't want to be liable for that secound season.

Campoli (while not as good as Hammer) was supposed to help with that depth. We could have signed Hammer, and if he had a similar fluke injury, we'd be in exactly the same spot.

Campoli (while not as good as Hammer) was supposed to help with that depth. We could have signed Hammer, and if he had a similar fluke injury, we'd be in exactly the same spot.

True, I would have really liked to have had him for a year though.

Very sound analysis. I'll refrain from mentioning that cohesion was one more reason to have re-signed Hamrlik :rolleyes:

Would you really have wanted Hamrlik on a TWO year deal he was looking for??? I Alzo would not have wanted to bring back all three of Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek. One was more then enough.

Campoli was a MUCH better option then Hamrlik, unfortunately we lost hom as usaual in our first game against the leafs.

JM already doesnt give the kids a chance unless he is forced to because of injuries, I'd rather give Emelin, weber and diaz a real good look and let them learn from their mistakes then have spacek make the same mistakes he's been making for two years.

JM already doesnt give the kids a chance unless he is forced to because of injuries, I'd rather give Emelin, weber and diaz a real good look and let them learn from their mistakes then have spacek make the same mistakes he's been making for two years.

In the ideal world we wouldn't have had Spacek for another year. I think the general opinion is that of Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek, Spacek was the one we wanted to leave.

I like letting Emelin, Diaz, and Weber play... but ideally we'd be rotating them, playing 2/3 and they'd all play 55-60 games, rather than have a defence with 4 youngins out there every night.

I'd rather see each of them play beside and learn from a veteran, than have to see an Emelin-Weber or Emelin-Diaz pairing.

Even if it hasn't really cost us yet, it will eventually.

Hamrlik: sure, I'd have taken him on a two-year deal at 3.5 mil. For God's sake, we're carrying Spacek this season and nobody is freaking out about the cap hit - in fact, he's been defended in this thread. I just don't see what the big deal is about a moderately-priced contract possibly being a problem for one season, considering the risks involved in going into this season with a kiddie corps and no Markov for 2 months - especially when we had the cap space. I've said it before and I'll say it again: sign the player you want/need, worry about the cap later. They were right to do it with Cole and they'd have been right to do it with Hammer.

All that being said, if Campoli doesn't go down I might not be saying this. Without having seen more of him it's hard to know about that (although Campoli wouldn't have helped with the whole 'cohesion' issue that, I increasingly think, is the biggest problem right now).

The thing with the cap hits are that yes its fine this year.... next year with Subban, Price, Eller, all due for raises, and gorges needing to be re-signed or replaced (either way a top 4 d will cost more than the 2.5 he's currently getting).... the cap is tighter next year than it is this year with Spacek.

The thing with the cap hits are that yes its fine this year.... next year with Subban, Price, Eller, all due for raises, and gorges needing to be re-signed or replaced (either way a top 4 d will cost more than the 2.5 he's currently getting).... the cap is tighter next year than it is this year with Spacek.

That is why Hamrlik didn't get signed for two years, given what signings are coming up... It makes sense to me why we didn't get him, but I wish we could have worked out a one year thing. He is reliant, helpful vet presence and as has been pointed out, would help with the cohesion of our unit.

Just a couple observations from this game:

* Ever notice how often Price gets beat on that deke to the backhand, shoot it 5 hole move? It's been happening for years, I think teams have caught on.

* On the power play the Habs are moving it around well. But when they make that pass down low to the guy on the goal line, instead of driving to the net like he could/should, he looks for the pass. There is room to get to the net and make stuff happen, but they look for the easy/perfect play.

* The system doesn't appear to be the same.....or it isn't being executed the way it should. I've never been a fan of the collapsing defense, and the forwards playing so deep in their own end. Although I am happy when it works, it is not working at all and it is very frustrating.

* This team is not playing well at all so far, 1 win out of 4 against non playoff teams. Injuries are killing us, but come on......

I like how our goalie took the blame, he was pretty weak today , but hey, it's Carey...he'll bounce back :D

Yeah he'll be fine whatever, early in the season versus an out of conference team... plus we did get a point. Not going to kill us haha!

Plus we did get our offense rolling a bit

Some positives I am getting from the last 4 games is that this team looks to have 3 lines that can score! It has shown in the past that it can play shut down hockey and Price has shown that he can do the job. When all of the pieces are put together and barring a high profile injury, I think this team can make noise this year. Emelin is starting to show why Timmins was so keen on getting him. I believe he has top 4 potential. Campoli, White, Markov, and Cammellleri represent some seriously important roles. Depth defense. Number defense. Best offensive player and best role player since Begin in White. The team still needs a shutdown player. Either from within or before the deadline. As negative as we can spin this I think as the season matures, the Habs will look good.

Some positives I am getting from the last 4 games is that this team looks to have 3 lines that can score! It has shown in the past that it can play shut down hockey and Price has shown that he can do the job. When all of the pieces are put together and barring a high profile injury, I think this team can make noise this year. Emelin is starting to show why Timmins was so keen on getting him. I believe he has top 4 potential. Campoli, White, Markov, and Cammellleri represent some seriously important roles. Depth defense. Number defense. Best offensive player and best role player since Begin in White. The team still needs a shutdown player. Either from within or before the deadline. As negative as we can spin this I think as the season matures, the Habs will look good.

I completely agree, that is exactly how I see our team, we are going to be pretty tough to beat come playoff time.

both emelin and diaz need to stay in this lineup! there not even 5 games into there nhl careers and there showing tons of promise.. thats even when spacek is back!!

right now our worst defenders are gill & subban! what's gill doing rushing the puck??

Actually Gill carried it in during a line change once. That was a good veteran move. The best line changes are when you have posession. I

would like to see more of that. It beats dump, lose posession and line up

waiting for the attack.

Actually Gill carried it in during a line change once. That was a good veteran move. The best line changes are when you have posession. I

would like to see more of that. It beats dump, lose posession and line up

waiting for the attack.

Not from Gill..

the first time he followed the puck in and he just endend up getting caught and he wasnt even close to being able to pressure the the puck down low or disrupt the outlet pass and out they came and had a chance the other way...

the 2nd time he tried following the puck in he got pinched on the boards and fell over the defender... Do u know how long it takes Gill to get up and get back? 2 on 2 with gomez covering for subban who slid to the right to cover gill.. kudos to gomez for trying to cover but, this is not what we want from gill... cross center/ chip the puck in let/them change when u got the puck Gill!!

Tough loss yesterday. On a positive note, at least we were competing. Too bad that some our better players had an off night; I am talking about Price and Subban. I am not worried about Price, but Subban needs to turn his game around quick. I mean, he tries to do too much. That's what the coaches mean when they say to a player to keep it simple. If you do too much, you start playing alone and it never is a good idea in a team sport.

I was impressed by Emelin yesterday. He is getting more comfortable and we can see that, once he will have played half a season, he might become a big contributor to the team. Diaz felt a little bit unsure, but I am still confident that he will settle down and become quite dependable. Weber needs to play a little bit more physical and he has to be faster in his decision making in the defensive zone. I don't know if he can do that. On the PP though, combined with Subban, he looked very good again. Let's hope that there is still some upside in his game.

Pax, DD, Gionta, Gomez, Kostitsyn and Plex all looked better yesterday. Even Cole, after his horrible game against the Flames. I would have liked to see more of Palushaj, but Engqvist was not up to the task, so his line did not have much ice time and it hurt Palushaj and Darche (to a lesser degree).

If we can avoid tough injuries going forward, I think that we will see much improvement once Spacek and Cammalleri will be back. And if Markov is able to play, and play well, in November, much of the problems will be behind us.

Just an observation, I notice that when price is on and confident, he plays a little deeper in the the net, therefore requiring smaller movements, but when hes off he comes out too much and moves eratically, and because he's a big boy the five hole is exposed with the bigger movements. By no means am I criticizing him I know how dominant he is when he's on his game. If I think about the Winnipeg game he was scary good, and he was barely moving. In the last 2 he was average, but moving too much. Either way I know he's gonna bounce back and pop out a couple of shut outs in the next few weeks, but being an ex goalie, I notice the little things in his game.

On a different note, I'll do the odd GDT here and there, it won't be as good as Brian's or Bar's, but simple like these.

the 2nd time he tried following the puck in he got pinched on the boards and fell over the defender... Do u know how long it takes Gill to get up and get back? 2 on 2 with gomez covering for subban who slid to the right to cover gill.. kudos to gomez for trying to cover but, this is not what we want from gill... cross center/ chip the puck in let/them change when u got the puck Gill!!

hahaha, poor Gill. It is tragic watching him fall and try and get back in the play. hahaha

For all my bitching about the D, I have to admit that individually (not as a unit) the new defencemen have all played pretty well. Emelin impressed me with his savvy first pass yesterday,and if Diaz keeps playing this way he will have a long career as a secondary offensive defenceman in this league. Cohesion rather than talent really does seem to be the problem, and presumably time and dedication will fix that. The question is whether we will be out of contention for the playoffs by the time we do fix it - keeping in mind that 8-10 points thrown away waiting the team to gel (and for Markov to return) can easily be the difference between finishing solidly in the playoffs and way out of them.

At this stage the odds seem to favour a poor first half followed by a strong second half as the injured bodies return and the team gels. I suspect we will, yet again, be a 'bubble team' in disguise: much better, when healthy and playing as a team, than out points totals will indicate.