The Situation at Centre

Trizzak

I am getting really intrigued at the situation at centre.

There is an interesting battle going on between Gomez, Eller and Desharnais for 2 spots at centre (assuming Plekanec and Nokelainen aren't moving from their 1st and 4th line spots, respectively.)

Each player has pros and cons on why they should be centremen, but ultimately one has to shift to the wing.

David Desharnais...

Pros: Has quietly become the 3rd highest point getter on the Habs. He's taken 14 shots (fewer than Gomez's 15 shots in 9 more gamers) but scored 3 goals (3 more than Gomez).

Cons: Can Montreal really handle another top 6 forward under 5'9? Faceoffs are under 50%, though on the upswing. Not the best defensively.

Lars Eller...

Pros: Has better games when playing at centre than at wing. Is 6'2" -198 lbs, making him the biggest centre on the Habs.

Cons: Worst faceoff percentage amongst centremen. Point production isn't matching the effort.

Scott Gomez...

Pros: Good faceoff percentage. Gains the offensive zone effectively.

Cons: Is deathly allergic to getting points. Defensive lapses are creeping into his game.

So who turns into a winger?

If Eller can't get his faceoff percentage up, he may be the odd man out. As much as I like the way he plays, the faceoff is just too important now. Unless a player can come in for his faceoffs, then maybe he can stick.

You know who he reminds me of? Jordan Stall. He even looks a bit like him. Eller is so strong on the puck. He can protect it and win board battles that we are used to seeing lost. His play this year has not been reflected on the score sheet. I really hope Larry can get his faceoff together because he can be a great 2nd 3rd centre for years to come.

I think it's safe to say that Desharnais won't be moved from center since he seems to be the catalyst for Pacioretty and Cole this year. So to me the list is narrowed between 2 guys actually.

If you were to ask if we are a better team with Eller or Gomez at center then I would say that Eller is right now a better choice. However Gomez cannot play left wing. Yes he usually enters the offensive zone on the left side, yes LW has less defensively responsibility but none the less Gomez is lost.

Look at that Nashville game. Gomez did not know what to do on a simple defensive faceoff situation. His blown coverage on Weber allowing him to walk in and blast a shot resulted in a goal.

Eller although less effective on the wing does not hurt us as much on the defensive side of the puck.

Gomez therefore becomes my defacto center.

Question I have is what the lines will look like when everyone is back. I personally can't stand Gio playing with Plekanec.

If Eller can't get his faceoff percentage up, he may be the odd man out. As much as I like the way he plays, the faceoff is just too important now. Unless a player can come in for his faceoffs, then maybe he can stick.

You know who he reminds me of? Jordan Stall. He even looks a bit like him. Eller is so strong on the puck. He can protect it and win board battles that we are used to seeing lost. His play this year has not been reflected on the score sheet. I really hope Larry can get his faceoff together because he can be a great 2nd 3rd centre for years to come.

I think we are going to have to see a trade involving both a forward and a D-man because soon there is going to be a log jam.

I still think Desharnais eventually ends up as a winger. I just think this hockey IQ means he'll be able to effectively make the transition, and a player his size will effectively benefit from having less defensive responsibilities.

I still think Desharnais eventually ends up as a winger. I just think this hockey IQ means he'll be able to effectively make the transition, and a player his size will effectively benefit from having less defensive responsibilities.

That's what I originally thought as well but he is producing at center no matter who he plays with. If we had Gomez, Eller, Pleks all producing then Desharnais to wing would be an easy transition but seeing how they are the only line going I don;t like the thought of that potential disaster.

Frankly, I think DD is more effective as a winger. He looked much better on the wing last year then at centre. I can really see him developing into a Marty St. Louis type of player on the wing - his hockey IQ is excellent, what he hasn't shown is St. Louis's compete level and doesn't have his speed. I don't see any reason why he can't play with MaxPac as a winger. THere are a lot of good playmaking wingers in the league.

I think the habs NEED to keep Eller at centre and have the coaching staff (even if that means bringing in a guy like Perrault to work with him) on faceoffs. But again, the need to make a commitment to using him as a centre only. He has been much more effective playing centre then the wing.

Frankly, I think DD is more effective as a winger. He looked much better on the wing last year then at centre. I can really see him developing into a Marty St. Louis type of player on the wing - his hockey IQ is excellent, what he hasn't shown is St. Louis's compete level and doesn't have his speed. I don't see any reason why he can't play with MaxPac as a winger. THere are a lot of good playmaking wingers in the league.

I think the habs NEED to keep Eller at centre and have the coaching staff (even if that means bringing in a guy like Perrault to work with him) on faceoffs. But again, the need to make a commitment to using him as a centre only. He has been much more effective playing centre then the wing.

As far as Gomez goes, you leave him at centre until you can dump him - hopefully the next CBA will allow for one contract to be bought out without penalty like the last CBA did. Or if by some miracle they can swing a deal for a big #2 (not likely), you dump him to Hamilton.

Habs29 is right. DD is the likeliest candidate for the wing. You're surely not going to convert Gomer Pyle into a winger at this stage. Eller, leave him at C, the only question being whether he's on a 'scoring' line or a 'checking' line. He just seems so much more comfortable at C that tossing him to the wing will only muddle his development.

Eller's a strange case. There's just so much to like about his game. Yet where are the points? Does he lack the hands to be a scorer? Is he just one small step away from 'putting it all together?' Or is he one of those guys - kinda like Bob Gainey - who when he first comes up, looks like a sure-fire top-6er for his skating and overall package, but turns out just not to have the right offensive instincts?

Anyway, it's certainly too soon in his career to get aggravated about it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that with a comparatively mature player like Desharnais, you can probably ask him to move around between C and wing as needed. He's one of those guys who recognizes that he has to do whatever it takes to stay in the NHL, so he probably won't moan too much. Thus, if Gomer Pyle or Eller are struggling, you can always shift DD back to his natural position in any given game. Seems like a win-win.

I don't like the idea of a trade. None of Eller, Gomez, or Desharnais have demonstrated that they can function reliably as a 2nd-line C in the NHL. Until one separates himself from the pack, trading one will merely leave us with fewer options. Better to go with a rotating system where whoever is playing best, gets the slot.

Eller has put up decent points when he plays with Moen and AK46. He gets a different winger every game, none of which has any offensive skill. let him play with skilld players for a year and see what he does.

I will look outside the box for a solution. Gomez will be tough to move and you won't get anything back but a bad contract. I don't now where Decharnais played wing but when he has cntered Pacioretty, the put up points period. With Cole they have been the most consistant line the habs have.

I keep Nokileinen, put him with some solid checkers and you have a solid unit.

Which leads me to Pleks, i consider moving him and gettign 2 young players. a centerman with offensive skill and size and a defenseman. This is an example, i'm not saying it will happen, everyone will jump on me saying consider moveing the best habs player but i'll suggest it anyway. You might ber able to land a Tubert and Gagne. I would look for a deal like that.

Eller has put up decent points when he plays with Moen and AK46. He gets a different winger every game, none of which has any offensive skill. let him play with skilld players for a year and see what he does.

I will look outside the box for a solution. Gomez will be tough to move and you won't get anything back but a bad contract. I don't now where Decharnais played wing but when he has cntered Pacioretty, the put up points period. With Cole they have been the most consistant line the habs have.

I keep Nokileinen, put him with some solid checkers and you have a solid unit.

Which leads me to Pleks, i consider moving him and gettign 2 young players. a centerman with offensive skill and size and a defenseman. This is an example, i'm not saying it will happen, everyone will jump on me saying consider moveing the best habs player but i'll suggest it anyway. You might ber able to land a Tubert and Gagne. I would look for a deal like that.

Teubert and Gagner.... that would be a horrible deal. Teubert is really not progressing as well as hoped, and Gagner is a 50-60 point smurf, with no defensive ability and poor faceoff skills who would be a dramatic dropoff from Plekanec. He was picked highly in a very weak draft and his junior stats are a product of playing with Patrick Kane and a 19 year old Sergei Kostitsyn.

Eller has put up decent points when he plays with Moen and AK46.

Exactly what I was about to say. As soon as AK46 comes back, you put him on a 3rd line with Eller and Moen. They seemed to have chemistry together. Lets not change that.

Desharnais should stay with MaxPac and Cole. They've been our best line for a few games now. Don't break it up when things are going well.

So that means Gomer is the odd man out.

Question I have is what the lines will look like when everyone is back. I personally can't stand Gio playing with Plekanec.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

Gomez/Eller - Gionta

Moen - Noke - White

Darche

?

That 3rd line is kinda iffy.

• Upvote 1

As i stated commandant, it was an example. 2 younger players is what i was getting at. Turris and someone else. it doesn't matter. I am just stating i wouldn't mind looking at offers for Pleks.

yes habsfan, when healthy they had 2 lines that were going Decharnais Cole, Pacioretty, Elleer Moen Ak46. Then it's the blender form there. I actually like a gritty 4th line who can play effective minutes. Put Cammy with pleks and Gionta and see what happens

Going on how hard it is to find a number 1 center, and given the defensive responsibility Plekanec also has on this team. He's one of my near untouchables on this roster.

I'd rather find a guy to compliment him and play 1a/1b with him than move him out.

He's also pretty much in his prime right now... still in his 20s.

Given the problem getting a number one center and somebody is ready to trade him . That is rich. We could trade Price too! The problem is that you want something back that is better than you got. It is generally considered in a multiple player deal whomever gets the best player wins the deal. I would also keep Eller and upgrade the other three.

in my opinion pleks is untouchable. As are Price and Subban

I have three untouchables on this team. Price, Subban and Patches. That's it, that's all! Everyone else is available!

Once everyone is back, i'd go with these lines

1- Plex, Camms, Gio

2- Desharnais, Patches, Cole

3- Eller, Moen, AK46

4- Nokelinen, Gomer, White/Darche

I have three untouchables on this team. Price, Subban and Patches. That's it, that's all! Everyone else is available!

Once everyone is back, i'd go with these lines

1- Plex, Camms, Gio

2- Desharnais, Patches, Cole

3- Eller, Moen, AK46

4- Nokelinen, Gomer, White/Darche

Gomer would be a waste on the fourth line. While its true that Eller Moen and AK have had solid chemistry... Gomer on our checking line would be sad.

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Cole

Gomez/Eller - Gionta

Moen - Noke - White

Darche

?

That 3rd line is kinda iffy.

Man on paper those lines look awesome. Why aren't we in 3 rd in the east?

Ha ha, take one look at the D corps and you'll answer your own question :wacko:

Hey the D-Corps looks great on Paper too.

Markov - Gorges

Campoli - Subban

Spacek - Weber

Gill - Emelin

Diaz

However the ice is that both of these lineups assume that we are fully healthy, and thats never happened.

Hey the D-Corps looks great on Paper too.

Markov - Gorges

Campoli - Subban

Spacek - Weber

Gill - Emelin

Diaz

However the ice is that both of these lineups assume that we are fully healthy, and thats never happened.

Oh yeah, I agree. I remember announcing that 'we are contenders' based on the lineup on paper at the start of the season :blush:

I still think there is some truth to this. But let's face it,

Gill - Subban

Diaz - Gorges

Weber - Spacek

takes us down a few notches.