2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Oilers as well. I highly suspect they will take a defenseman at number 2, but it would be nice to not have to worry about it. Also, 29th would help our lottery chances and give us more to work with if it's at all possible to trade up to 1#.

All true, but I think JMMR was saying the important two games tonight and the oilers don't play.

I dont want us to pass the Leafs but I dont really care where they finish outside of that. They play Carolina tonight, lets hope for OT.

Other games to watch, Isles @ Pittsburgh, Rangers @ Minny and Tampa @ Boston.

Barring a collapse, I think OT is out; Carolina is up 3-0. Isles are actually up 3-2, TB is tied at 1s and Minny is losing 1-0.

Yakupov appears to be the clear #1 and we'd have to pick him but take a look at our forward prospects on the horizon. Kristo, Gallagher are likely the top 2 forwards meaning added Yakupov and our top 3 prospects are all 5'11 or smaller.

Ouch !!!!

Yakupov appears to be the clear #1 and we'd have to pick him but take a look at our forward prospects on the horizon.  Kristo, Gallagher are likely the top 2 forwards meaning added Yakupov and our top 3 prospects are all 5'11 or smaller.

Ouch !!!!

There is virtually no difference between a guy who is 5'11 and a guy who is 6'0.  I don't worry about that at all.  Gallagher is the only really short guy. Also as FG said Talent > size anyway.

There is virtually no difference between a guy who is 5'11 and a guy who is 6'0. I don't worry about that at all. Gallagher is the only really short guy. Also as FG said Talent > size anyway.

No difference between a 5'11 and a 6'0 but when your line up for the next few seasons has Gionta, Desharnais, Plekanec, Leblanc and you potentially add 3 more guys who are under 6'0 then where does the size factor come into play? Eventually we have to stop this mentality and take a chance on a player like a Getzlaf instead of always choosing the best guy on the board.

Unless we can have a GM in place who can take a Gallagher or a Kristo and package them to land that elusive big center at which point you always take the best guy on the board.

Does Alexei Emelin lack the size necessary to play a physical game? Of course not.

He's a whole one inch taller than Yakupov, and Yakupov plays a very physical game.

Its the heart of the player not the height that matters

Does Alexei Emelin lack the size necessary to play a physical game? Of course not. He's a whole one inch taller than Yakupov, and Yakupov plays a very physical game. Its the heart of the player not the height that matters

As Emelin has shown maybe being a tad bit shorter helps kill people with hipchecks :D!

No difference between a 5'11 and a 6'0 but when your line up for the next few seasons has Gionta, Desharnais, Plekanec, Leblanc and you potentially add 3 more guys who are under 6'0 then where does the size factor come into play? Eventually we have to stop this mentality and take a chance on a player like a Getzlaf instead of always choosing the best guy on the board.

Unless we can have a GM in place who can take a Gallagher or a Kristo and package them to land that elusive big center at which point you always take the best guy on the board.

Leblanc is listed at either 6'1 or 6'2. Habs have been drafting big for a while now. Subban, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pacioretty...

Leblanc is listed at either 6'1 or 6'2. Habs have been drafting big for a while now. Subban, Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pacioretty...

And will draft another average sized NHL player this year in Forsberg/Dumba/Galchenyuk/Murray, which is fine, bigger is not always better, even Chara/Pronger gets turned inside out and made to look like a pylon by Plekanec, Gionta and Desharnais every time they play. So pros and cons at each end of spectrum, but a nice big skilled centre like Lacavalier would do wonders for the Habs and has been missing for a long time. But i almost hope to see Habs draft the slightly smaller Galchenyuk, or Forsberg, over the bigger Grigorenko (or Grigorenko is already taken when Habs get to pick).

Galchenyuk is rumored to be over 6'2 and close to 6'3 now... those numbers having him at 6'1 are apparently from when he was drafted into the OHL at 16. He's had 2 years of growth on top of that.

Yakupov is said to be 5'11 1/2

But we're not really sure, we'll know at the combine, because those numbers are always accurate.

Galchenyuk is rumored to be over 6'2 and close to 6'3 now... those numbers having him at 6'1 are apparently from when he was drafted into the OHL at 16. He's had 2 years of growth on top of that.

Yakupov is said to be 5'11 1/2

But we're not really sure, we'll know at the combine, because those numbers are always accurate.

But even if Galchenyuk has a super playoffs, you dont think he would be taken in the top 2 would he, especially if Grigorenko continues to do very well and pile up the points also?

Yakupov looked short at the world's, but as shifty as he is, he will likely be like Eberle or Datsyuk and not get hit very often, nor need to be big to be a difference maker (cept if he tries to cut into the middle without looking again).

They wont be televising any of U18 games in April will they? Forsberg, Collberg, Dumba and several other top guys, whose playoffs are done should all be there eh?

But even if Galchenyuk has a super playoffs, you dont think he would be taken in the top 2 would he, especially if Grigorenko continues to do very well and pile up the points also?

Depends on who is picking 2nd and how seriously they take the rumors of laziness with Grigorenko. Some scouts feel he doesn't have the work ethic. I don't see that, but some do, and it could drop him at the draft.

Yakupov looked short at the world's, but as shifty as he is, he will likely be like Eberle or Datsyuk and not get hit very often, nor need to be big to be a difference maker (cept if he tries to cut into the middle without looking again).

Yakupov plays an Ovechkin-esque style despite his smaller size in the OHL. Hitting everything he can. He's a wrecking ball out there.

They wont be televising any of U18 games in April will they? Forsberg, Collberg, Dumba and several other top guys, whose playoffs are done should all be there eh?

TSN normally shows some of the medal round games. Not sure how much.

Toronto is putting ona tank clinic tonight. 5-1 Philly and 12 shots for TO so far.

I've been watching the game... Reimer out with a mysterious injury and The Monster getting that weird knee injury and then they have a goalie who started the season in the ECHL I believe, though he hasn't looked as bad given the score, it seems suspicious.

The crowd is cheering "Lets go Blue Jays!" hahaha