2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?14584

Best drafting team of the last decade goes to - Montreal and Trevor Timmins.

They better keep him around.

"MONTREAL

Sorry, can't explain this but the numbers don't lie. The Habs have the highest rating in the study. In 2003, they took six players who made the NHL. In 2005, they selected four more NHLers. In 2007, four more including Max Pacioretty and P.K. Subban. The high-end talent hasn't been there but the Habs have consistently found players.

Average: .338. Slugging; .613. Grade; A-minus."

http://www.habsworld.net/out.php?14584

Best drafting team of the last decade goes to - Montreal and Trevor Timmins.

They better keep him around.

"MONTREAL

Sorry, can't explain this but the numbers don't lie. The Habs have the highest rating in the study. In 2003, they took six players who made the NHL. In 2005, they selected four more NHLers. In 2007, four more including Max Pacioretty and P.K. Subban. The high-end talent hasn't been there but the Habs have consistently found players.

Average: .338. Slugging; .613. Grade; A-minus."

well, the trading away of 2nd round picks and the 1st in 2008 (my biggest beef with Gauthier-Gainey, cept Ranger trade of course), as well as making the playoffs, put the odds of high end talent at very slim.

A draft article i wrote

http://lastwordonspo...-of-the-injury/

well written sir.

Even with injuries ignored, i think the lack of many top forwards gives the perception of weaker class maybe? Because there just wont be a Couturier type forward available at 8th for example. But the injury to Reilly is a perfect example of what you wrote about, he was described in the fall as the most game controlling d-man and now he is a bit of question mark due to knee, still a top ten now but likely to slip out of top ten on draft day i bet.

I would love for them and Belleville to play in the finals so I could catch a game.

If they play London or Owen Sound I'll do the two hour drive for a weekend game.  Kitchener or Guelph I'll do a weeknight.  Those are all east conference. I was hoping they got Owen Sound first round but Saginaw is too far (5 hours one way)

There's no doubt that Trevor Timmins and his group have done a good job of drafting good prospects. Where the Habs have faltered is when the time comes to get these kids ready for the NHL. The fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier. We draft good young players and then when the time comes to prep them for the NHL, we either screw it up or end up trading them too early.

I think the AHL development and that type of stuff is fine because the kids are making it from junior through the minors and up to the bigs and are learning all the way.

The problem as you've said is a lack of patience when they get here. Kids have one rough season and we trade them.

There's no doubt that Trevor Timmins and his group have done a good job of drafting good prospects. Where the Habs have faltered is when the time comes to get these kids ready for the NHL. The fault lies squarely on the shoulders of Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier. We draft good young players and then when the time comes to prep them for the NHL, we either screw it up or end up trading them too early.

Havent had too many get away that are even worth talking about, a couple digruntled eatern europeans who got a wake up call when each were traded for a bag of pucks and picked up their game when the KHL or flippin burgers at McDonalds were their only other options.

Am I the only one who actually wants our new GM to part ways with the first round pick if we are selecting in the top 2?

I am not convinced of yakupov or Grigorenko and would rather see the GM add another asset instead of selecting these guys.

Am I the only one who actually wants our new GM to part ways with the first round pick if we are selecting in the top 2?

I am not convinced of yakupov or Grigorenko and would rather see the GM add another asset instead of selecting these guys.

It would depend on the type of player being given up but I wouldn't be entirely against it in the right deal. It appears already that this is Columbus' plan with the top pick.

Havent had too many get away that are even worth talking about, a couple digruntled eatern europeans who got a wake up call when each were traded for a bag of pucks and picked up their game when the KHL or flippin burgers at McDonalds were their only other options.

Just off the top of my head, here are a couple of guys we gave up on too soon, or we traded away for nothing...Mcdonough, Latendresse, Ribeiro and Grabovski.

Yakupov I'm 100% convinced of, he's gonna be a star in the league. He's head and shoulders the best player available, I take him and not think twice about it.

Grigo is so close with Galchenyuk and Forsberg and the Dmen, that if you have question marks at number 2, just let Timmins pick whoever he likes best, and preferably a fwd.

I wonder what it would take for Columbus to swap their #1 with out (hopefully) #2... A young prospect with talent, ala Kristo? Maybe Diaz and one of our seconds? Am I being to hopeful?

those actually sound about fair value based on the last time 1sts were swapped for 2nd overall/3rd overall picks. But that was also all pre-lockout and we haven't seen swaps since then.

Just off the top of my head, here are a couple of guys we gave up on too soon, or we traded away for nothing...Mcdonough, Latendresse, Ribeiro and Grabovski.

D'Agostini for Palushaj COULD work out, but it's trading a sure thing for a possibility. I still believe the O'Byrne for Bournival swap was a good one.

Letting Streit walk (and Carbo playing him at forward instead of ahead of a guy like Bouillon, making him want to try somewhere else anyways) when he could've been re-signed for cheap early in his UFA season was one of the dumbest moves this team has done in the past ten years. And Michael Ryder's bounceback was entirely predictable as well (considering he was being misused in 07/08), though he and Ribs weren't Timmins picks, it fits the pattern. Different discussion, but I've looked back on how that 07/08 roster was used and can't for the life of me figure out the logic behind it... they were winning but doing it the hard way (PP and goaltending carrying the team).