2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

The Red Wings are quite similar to the Canadiens in that they have trouble with their first picks but they find sleeper picks quite well.

I would say 6 of last 8 of Hab 1st picks could turn out very fine and 2 were busts for sure.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, Kristo, McDonagh, Fischer, Price, Chipchura were last 8 years. Just a guess, but is likely above NHL average success, time will tell? 5 of the 8 could be in Hab lineup in 2 or 3 years?

Again i admit being too being overly optimistic with prospects, but i think the only one with a questionmark would be Kristo and he seems to be maybe 50-50 of making it?

I would say 6 of last 8 of Hab 1st picks could turn out very fine and 2 were busts for sure.

Beaulieu, Tinordi, Leblanc, Kristo, McDonagh, Fischer, Price, Chipchura were last 8 years. Just a guess, but is likely above NHL average success, time will tell? 5 of the 8 could be in Hab lineup in 2 or 3 years?

Again i admit being too being overly optimistic with prospects, but i think the only one with a questionmark would be Kristo and he seems to be maybe 50-50 of making it?

Max Pac was a 1st, not Kristo.

Max Pac was a 1st, not Kristo.

I dont mean to be smug, disrespectful or whatnot; but, if you read my comment, i said "1st picks" not 1st rounders, because Habs never had a 1st round that year.

I knew Kristo was a 2nd rounder.

In re-reading i would of assumed the same mistake though. Sorry

i also skipped our newly minted 30 goal scoring winger, because not "1st pick"

Edited by DON

So at this point is there reason to doubt Kristo? Last I heard he was a steal as a 2nd rounder. Does it look like he doesn't wanna go pro, or has he regressed?

He looks good in the NCAA no doubt about that. He still has a couple of hurdles to clear though. There is quite the jump between NCAA and AHL, and then of course another jump to the NHL. There is nothing to suggest he can't make that jump, but he's still gotta actually do it, which is the question mark.

Hope it's not going to be another Fischer.

Fischer looked like crap in the NCAA, Kristo looks really good at that level. He's a far better pick than Fischer and as dlblair said he's a second rounder not a first.

I know he is a second rounder. I mean compared to Fischer in terms of a good-looking player we anticipate will make an impact.

Fischer never looked good though.  Even the first season after he was drafted he didn't play well.  It never got better.  He was an ok NCAA player but he was never a dominant player like Kristo has been at well over a PPG this season. Fischer was a third pairing defender for his first two years and then second pairing as a junior and senior, he never made himself into a go-to defenceman on his team, he was always more of a depth guy.

Fischer was definitely a low point in our drafting and why I even sometimes skew our actual drafting ability. It was such a horrible pick. It also kills we could have picked 16th and taken Chris Stewart or Claude Giroux. Sure he was Mr. Hockey Minnesota but god damn was it a bad pick.

You win some and lose some.

I dont mean to be smug, disrespectful or whatnot; but, if you read my comment, i said "1st picks" not 1st rounders, because Habs never had a 1st round that year.

I knew Kristo was a 2nd rounder.

In re-reading i would of assumed the same mistake though. Sorry

i also skipped our newly minted 30 goal scoring winger, because not "1st pick"

Oh. Assumption confusion on my side. sorry.

Which is what I have been saying all along...The size issue with this kid can't be over looked..Sure he oozes elite talent, but is CLB going to overlook his lack of size and pick the larger forward? Personally, I would pick Galchenyuk or Grigorenko simply because of this reason..They may be built better for the NHL game..

Besides, if we can keep playing hockey like we played tonight, we won't be getting a sniff of those players, anyway..lol

He's 5'11... That hit had nothing to do with his SIZE

Eric Lindros was huge and the same shit happened to him.

agreed. Lindros, Primeau, Pronger. These aren't exactly midgets, but all knocked out by concussions.

Those players got their injuries because of their styles of play...Not because of their lack of size..

If Yakupov is having injury problems in junior because of hits, he won't have a very long career in the NHL..Sorry..

Those players got their injuries because of their styles of play...Not because of their lack of size..

If Yakupov is having injury problems in junior because of hits, he won't have a very long career in the NHL..Sorry..

Lindros got injured because he had his head down and got run over by a freight train called Scott Stevens - not because of his style of play. Pronger's injury from what I read was fluke stick or puck to the head with some light hits afterwards. Crosby by a cheap shot elbow. Primeau was also an elbow by the head.

It's a fallacy to assume just because a guy is a physical player, that his concussions are a result of his physical style. Lindros in particular too three hits at the blue line where he had his head down - there was no physicality involved at all on his part. it was one of those hits where the victim has been blamed for years, for having their head down.

Listen, I just think this Yakupov kid is getting injured way too much before he even makes the NHL..This is his 2nd injury this season alone..I agree, the kid has exceptional talent, but I just feel he would be a great risk if he is chosen in the lottery position for any team..

Of course, its just my humble opinion..