2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

I do call myself a fan. and btw, I still look at the standings and dream of my Habs winning out this season to have a miracle run to the Cup. thx for asking.

as for the draft, I trust Timmins if we pick 1st OA or 30th OA - but if we are missing the REAL season, we might as well miss it real good (as opposed to the Maples propensity to finish 9th to 11th in the east or when they do finish last trade away their pick).

mediocrity is what sucks - and if a terrible season like this sets us up with a player (along with a UFA or 2) to help us break the cycle, we may look back at this season as a blessing.

I completely agree with your points. If we're gonna miss the playoffs, might as well try to get the highest pick possible!

1 pt for the Isles today

Got a feeling Habs will be passing Carolina and Isles in next week or so and either Minni or Ducks with battle it out with Habs for 5th to 7th pick. to the end and the Leafs are looking as bad as ever and could challange for a top 5 pick the way they are losing.

With Markov back and i assume Moan and Desharnais arnt too far off neither, i can see the Habs winning more than losing these final games.

But who knows maybe a Faksa or Gaunce my turn out just as good a pick as Galchenyuk?

Got a feeling Habs will be passing Carolina and Isles in next week or so and either Minni or Ducks with battle it out with Habs for 5th to 7th pick. to the end and the Leafs are looking as bad as ever and could challange for a top 5 pick the way they are losing.

With Markov back and i assume Moan and Desharnais arnt too far off neither, i can see the Habs winning more than losing these final games.

But who knows maybe a Faksa or Gaunce my turn out just as good a pick as Galchenyuk?

There's still also the possibility that if a team does end up sliding lower, they'll pick a blueliner.

Other thing is that a lot of these teams play each other, they are gonna get their wins and pts too.

3/13: CBJ @ EDM

3/14: TOR @ TB

3/17: CAR @ MIN

3/19: BUF @ TB

3/20: NYI @ TOR

3/22: EDM @ TB

3/23: CAR @ CBJ

3/24: MIN @ BUF

3/24: NYI @ TB

3/25: EDM @ CBJ

3/27: CAR @ TOR

3/31: BUF @ TOR

4/1: EDM @ ANA

4/3: TOR @ BUF

4/4: TB @ TOR

4/4: ANA @ EDM

4/5: NYI @ CBJ

Someone hast to get 2 pts in all those games, plus there is possibilities for 3 pt games.I think the furthest we can really slide is 5th.And that assumes we go on a bit of a run, I'm still not convinced by one game in Vancouver.

Other thing is that a lot of these teams play each other, they are gonna get their wins and pts too.

Someone hast to get 2 pts in all those games, plus there is possibilities for 3 pt games.I think the furthest we can really slide is 5th.And that assumes we go on a bit of a run, I'm still not convinced by one game in Vancouver.

I really see Subban finally playing the way he should and Markov is a leader, plus Pacioretty and Cole are both not going to stop playing great, so i can see them picking 5th at best and maybe 7th at worst?

But WTF do i know, just a hunch/best guess and i think 5th to 7th will still have super options to pick from, so might as well finish with a few more wins for Price, he deserves that much.

I really see Subban finally playing the way he should and Markov is a leader, plus Pacioretty and Cole are both not going to stop playing great, so i can see them picking 5th at best and maybe 7th at worst?

But WTF do i know, just a hunch/best guess and i think 5th to 7th will still have super options to pick from, so might as well finish with a few more wins for Price, he deserves that much.

I think it goes without saying that with Markov back, we're a better team in every way. However, being a better team in every way still means you're going to lose a few games to bad bounces, a harder working club, or there might still be some injuries in the Canadiens future. Also, the Leafs *ALWAYS* have that end of the season winning stretch to give their fans hope. It always happens. It'll likely happen again. As for Columbus and Edmonton, those teams are not going to do anything other than stay where they are.

The worst I see Montreal moving up to is 27th, and even then, I still see Montreal picking either Galy or Grig.

I think we will end up passing a team or two, but sit in 5th overall. (Maybe Galchenyuk will slip down with those d guys being picked up!) Or we could get Forsburg

I think it goes without saying that with Markov back, we're a better team in every way. However, being a better team in every way still means you're going to lose a few games to bad bounces, a harder working club, or there might still be some injuries in the Canadiens future. Also, the Leafs *ALWAYS* have that end of the season winning stretch to give their fans hope. It always happens. It'll likely happen again. As for Columbus and Edmonton, those teams are not going to do anything other than stay where they are.

The worst I see Montreal moving up to is 27th, and even then, I still see Montreal picking either Galy or Grig.

I doubt it with their remaining schedule...Pretty tough one to round out the year..

They are televising Saskatoon game tomorrow, and one guy that stands out on that team (along with Thrower), Button has him at #45, is Lukas Sutter who almost has same offensive production as most of top forwards, but has 150 PIMs to go along with almost 30 goals. I saw play last week and had a goal and also lost it near end of game when got cheapshotted from behind.

He could be a bit more skilled Ryan White type of forward, which the Habs are lacking in the system and might be a good choice at around 35th?

Wow i just noticed I know someone in the draft... I went to highschool with the goalie ranked 44th Brandon Whitney. My younger brother has played shinny with him haha.

Yakupov out for the rest of the regular season.

The rest of the regular season is only 3 games though, the season ends Sunday.

Hahah I was like sh*******t! Then read your second line. You got me.

But man oh man, seems like this draft class has been ravaged with injuries.

I've decided I'm okay with either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko (given Galch comes back for the playoffs and plays decently). I mean a solid D isn't bad either, but the cupboards are well stocked there. Time to address an organizational need.

Hahah I was like sh*******t! Then read your second line. You got me.

But man oh man, seems like this draft class has been ravaged with injuries.

I've decided I'm okay with either Galchenyuk or Grigorenko (given Galch comes back for the playoffs and plays decently). I mean a solid D isn't bad either, but the cupboards are well stocked there. Time to address an organizational need.

It wasn't just me, Sam Cosentino of sportsnet had the story first and he just reported the first line not the 2nd on twitter, so everyone was freaking out.

Does anyone else have Grigs at 7th or Murray as low as 10th???

Button's list is very unique

Thanks Commandant thatsa great list.

It wasn't just me, Sam Cosentino of sportsnet had the story first and he just reported the first line not the 2nd on twitter, so everyone was freaking out.

Just like he is.

I think the guy's an idiot. There is a reason why Button and John Ferguson Jr haven't been hired again. Button made a number of horrible moves in Calgary (which I thoroughly enjoyed, since the flames are my #3 despised team after Boston and the Leafs (they were #2, until Burke was hired by the leafs).

Button and JFJ both sucked as GMs but were great scouts.

Button was a scout for the stars since 1988, and the head amateur scout in Dallas from 1992-1998

The list of players drafted in those years he is given credit for includes a bunch of all-stars

Derian Hatcher,

Jere Lehtinen,

Jamie Langenbrunner,

Marty Turco,

Jarome Iginla

Brenden Morrow.

JFJ had a successful role in St. Louis before he got the Leafs job

I think the guy's an idiot. There is a reason why Button and John Ferguson Jr haven't been hired again. Button made a number of horrible moves in Calgary (which I thoroughly enjoyed, since the flames are my #3 despised team after Boston and the Leafs (they were #2, until Burke was hired by the leafs).

JFJ has been scouting with San Jose for several years now (since 2008).

By the end of the year Burke will have been GM as long as JFJ with worse results

Holy Cow, I love that detail. I might just borrow that from you, and use it against a Leaf fan I know.