2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Galchenyuk with a goal tonight but Sarnia loses game 1.

Interesting that Gauthier (as well as Burke and other GMs) was at this Sania game checking out the 2 prospects.

I wonder what it would take to get Columbus's/Oilers pick, if the Habs kept their first also? Next year's first, a 2nd, Kristo, Gallagher and Eller, or some crazy package like that?

I cant remember what Mr. Giant Ego (Burke) traded to get Danial and Henrik at #2 and #3, whatever it was it was worth it.

Am I the only one who actually wants our new GM to part ways with the first round pick if we are selecting in the top 2?

I am not convinced of yakupov or Grigorenko and would rather see the GM add another asset instead of selecting these guys.

It is an option for sure and if the right asset was offered, never say never.

But i would bet a lot that Yakupov is all the scouts say he is and is the complete package, while Grigorenko does have the "Russian Questionmark" for sure, but he aslo could be a Malkin and not a Yashin/Radulov? Only time will tell.

Which is why i would likely skip him for Galchenyuk or maybe Forsberg. Becasue when you look at reports, both Galchenyuk and Forsberg have "hard-Working" as a prime character trait, which is what separates many prospects who do make it from those who dont, and Grigorenko is not noted to be hard-working (or at least is not one of his best attributes, unlike the other 2).

I think we'll continue to see high profile GMs at the Sarnia games.  Everyone will want their own looks at both Yakupov and Galchenyuk after the injuries. Burke was also spotted at the Remparts (Grigorenko) game Thursday.

Interesting that Gauthier (as well as Burke and other GMs) was at this Sania game checking out the 2 prospects.

I wonder what it would take to get Columbus's/Oilers pick, if the Habs kept their first also? Next year's first, a 2nd, Kristo, Gallagher and Eller, or some crazy package like that?

I cant remember what Mr. Giant Ego (Burke) traded to get Danial and Henrik at #2 and #3, whatever it was it was worth it.

I don't want to dump Gallagher just becuase of his size, I've got a really good feeling about this kid.

This is from left field, but does anyone think we could bundle our first round pick and some prospects and get Ovechkin from Washington? If the Caps don't make the playoffs they may consider blowing things up and a change of scenery could revive Ovechkin.

Is this doable? And of so, would you do it?

We've talked about trading for lecavilier for years but I would much rather have Ovechkin than Lecavilier (even when he was in his prime)

(null)

Edited by Kiwihab

This is from left field, but does anyone think we could bundle our first round pick and some prospects and get Ovechkin from Washington? If the Caps don't make the playoffs they may consider blowing things up and a change of scenery could revive Ovechkin.

Is this doable? And of so, would you do it?

We've talked about trading for lecavilier for years but I would much rather have Ovechkin than Lecavilier (even when he was in his prime)

(null)

Depending on what they want maybe. He is awesome and even when he has an off year he still is. When the the guy is hot there is no one that brings what he can. GOALS GOALS AND MORE GOALS!!!! size, speed, he hits hard and never plays scared plus can do it all himself. Not saying he is the best player in the world but at times he can be. we have some great prospects coming and it would be tough to part with some of them. Tinordi,Bournival,Gallagher,Beaulieu,Kristo to name a few. If they wanted a 1st and two top player and or prospects for nash they will want the world for him.

Neither club would or should do a deal like that. Ovie is not only their best player, but he is the face of their franchise. He single-handidly made hockey matter in Washington again, and you can bet he sells tickets and merchandise by the boatload. Trading him would set the franchise (not as an on-ice product but as a interest to the public) back years.

On the other side, Montreal shouldn't do a trade like that. While Ovie is great, he falls into the category of being so great that on the trade market, he would command enough high end prospects and young, talented roster players that such a trade would completely gut a team of all it's depth. We have seen time and time again that a 1-line team will not go far in the the playoffs. Depth wins cups.

Ovie has been good the past two years but not at the same level of greatness as before. That as well as the timing of this story, scare the crap out of me. I'm not saying they are connected but it has to be a red flag.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Steroid-dealer-boasts-of-sales-to-Washin?urn=nhl,166076

That is from two years ago and Ovy hasnt been the same player since.

I agree.

Ovechkin seems like he will be a Jerome Iginla. An power forward who will have a presence on the ice even when he's not producing at a high level. Will reach 40-50 a few times in his career but will probably never have a season with less than 30. Still an ideal franchise player.

Ovechkin hasn't been the same player since because he changed his style.  Steroids doesn't make you score more goals.

He also misses Mike Green.

Steroids help your body recover from injury and take the grind of an 82 game season. They heal the wear and tear of the 82 game season and keep you stronger. If you notice Ovechkin now goes on hot and cold steaks. He didnt use to have as many cold streaks, or nearly as long. He was on almost every game when he was at his best. Also the style change and being less reckless out there could be part self-preservation without the healing effects of the anabolics. If this is true, it might not be.

Steroids help your body recover from injury and take the grind of an 82 game season. They heal the wear and tear of the 82 game season and keep you stronger. If you notice Ovechkin now goes on hot and cold steaks. He didnt use to have as many cold streaks, or nearly as long. He was on almost every game when he was at his best. Also the style change and being less reckless out there could be part self-preservation without the healing effects of the anabolics. If this is true, it might not be.

Ovechkin actually throws more bodychecks now, he just floats around the blueline and doesn't goto the net as often. The reason why Ovechkin started going to the blueline more was due to the loss of Mike Green. Green seems completely broken at the moment and if he does snap out of it or Washington gets a new point man, Ovechkin will likely goto the net more. Ovechkin is more of a team player than people realize.

I'm not denying the fact he might have been using steroids. However, Ovechkin's issues can be completely explained by the way his game has changed and has little to do with an artificially increased testosterone.

I don't want to dump Gallagher just becuase of his size, I've got a really good feeling about this kid.

I love Gallagher's play as well and hope he lights up the AHL next year; but, i was just wondering out loud what kind of kooky package the #1 overall pick would cost the Habs. Which for a conservative organization like the Habs, will never happen, but what if?

And whether having 2 of top 3 picks would be worth the cost?

Also Columbus must be a bit leery of drafting any more Russians, given their track record and trading down for roster players to rebuild quicker might be more appealing to them?

I love Gallagher's play as well and hope he lights up the AHL next year; but, i was just wondering out loud what kind of kooky package the #1 overall pick would cost the Habs. Which for a conservative organization like the Habs, will never happen, but what if?

And whether having 2 of top 3 picks would be worth the cost?

Also Columbus must be a bit leery of drafting any more Russians, given their track record and trading down for roster players to rebuild quicker might be more appealing to them?

Well when Burke drafted the Sedins he traded his... 4th overall pick and two thirds for the 1st overall. I know that was a time ago and things have changed and all... but thats the one first overall pick trade I remember.

Well when Burke drafted the Sedins he traded his... 4th overall pick and two thirds for the 1st overall. I know that was a time ago and things have changed and all... but thats the one first overall pick trade I remember.

The picks used to take Rick Nash and Marc-Andre Fleury were also trade downs, but I can't look them up right now.

I don't like that the Islanders schedule includes two games against Pittsburgh, as well as multiple games against teams like NJ, Flordia and Ottawa who will be fighting hard to make/keep their spot in the playoffs :/

Edmonton has an interesting role to play in the pacific race with two games against LA and a game against Dallas.

Minnesota gets to play some really hot teams like Chicago and a heating up Washington as well as playoff battling Flordia, LA, Phoenix and Nashville.

We get... Tampa, Carolina and the Leafs in our last three games :D... yikes. The tank will be close.

On Fleury and Nash...

The Florida Panthers trade the first pick (Marc-Andre Fleury) and 73rd pick (3rd round) (Daniel Carcillo) to the Pittsburgh Penguins for the third pick (Nathan Horton), the 55th (late 2nd) pick (Stefan Meyer) and Mikael Samuelsson.

No. 1 (Florida to Columbus): Florida trades this pick to Columbus for first-round pick (No. 3 overall, Jay Bouwmeester) and option to switch first-round picks in 2003 on June 22, 2002.

Three games to watch today. Right now we have isles 0 / Panthers 1 and Wild 0 / Caps 0, plus ducks/bruins tonight.

Ovechkin has been on fire and Washington needs this win big with Buffalo being so hot right now. Must win game for them. The Wild are just playing spoiler.

Florida/LI really doesn't matter for either team so I wouldn't put any money on the outcome of that.