2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Money talks. And the Habs have plenty of it. Give them Gomez-type money.Gio came here because we offered him almost $10m more than anyone else

"Money talks" didn't work for Daniel Briere, Brendan Shanahan, Jason Arnott, Brad Richards, etc.

Sometimes, you just can't pull it off. So why put the team in that risk when you can draft an 18 year old you'll have for five-seven years at the least? Who could easily be everything you need and keep your players?

Couldn't we extend him before making a move

No you cannot negotiate with him before July 1st 2012 meaning it cant be done before the draft

"Money talks" didn't work for Daniel Briere, Brendan Shanahan, Jason Arnott, Brad Richards, etc.

Sometimes, you just can't pull it off.  So why put the team in that risk when you can draft an 18 year old you'll have for five-seven years at the least?  Who could easily be everything you need and keep your players?

a guy you also have for much cheaper

Would a trade of Subban for Columbus's 1st pick (of course be Yakupov) be a fair swap.

Columbus gets a top 4 flashy roster player, easy to market and play alongside Johnson and Habs get a big offensive weapon and combine that with a 2nd top pick of a centre. Who both, more than likely, could step in in 2013-14.

Sometimes, you just can't pull it off. So why put the team in that risk when you can draft an 18 year old you'll have for five-seven years at the least? Who could easily be everything you need and keep your players?

Exactly...I even recall a helicopter tour of the city for Shanahan. Didn't work.

Would a trade of Subban for Columbus's 1st pick (of course be Yakupov) be a fair swap.

Columbus gets a top 4 flashy roster player, easy to market and play alongside Johnson and Habs get a big offensive weapon and combine that with a 2nd top pick of a centre. Who both, more than likely, could step in in 2013-14.

Would take more then that.

Columbus has stated they are not looking for defensemen.

for which?

I love PK but I don't think he is worth the 1st overall pick and as Triz said they aren't looking for a defencemen, they have something like 19 mill locked long term into their top 4 I believe.

I love PK but I don't think he is worth the 1st overall pick and as Triz said they aren't looking for a defencemen, they have something like 19 mill locked long term into their top 4 I believe.

I am not expecting to happen, just thought it might be a pretty equal swap?

It's strange that only 1 ,if that, N.A forward is listed in the top 20 prospects.

And look how many NA defencemen are in the top 20.

These things come in waves.

How bad was that injury and when did it happen? I couldn't find anything about that when reading up on him...only that he hasn't played all year.

Training camp.

Blew out his knee.

Also all day Grant McCagg keeps hinting on hfboards that Trevor Timmins hates Grigorenko as too risky and would like Forsberg or Galchenyuk.

What we know, McCagg is an editor/scout for McKeen's and a scout for tsn.ca

He's a former Habs part-time scout who is still in touch with Trevor

McCagg just wrote that scathing article on Grigo for tsn.ca

Now, I'm sure he's got good info. But at the same time the draft is a game, this could be Trevor's true feeling, or it could be him planting a story with a guy he knows 30 NHL scouting departments look to for clues about what the other teams are thinking. Teams are always trying to learn if they need to trade up to get their guy. Remember when Burke learned Murray wanted Kadri and walked over to the Sens table pretending to want a trade and then laughed and said we're taking him? Thats the espionage at the draft.

So is this real or a false story?

Adds to the drama

And as I said yesterday, if not hurt Galchenyuk fits the mould of forward Timmins loves.

McCagg is putting this out everywhere he can

Now weve got this (Not Eklund, just his site)

http://www.hockeybuz...ctive/155/42700

Personally as I said yesterday, Galchenyuk if healthy is the prototype of the forward Trevor Timmins will fall in love with. The attributes he's better than Grigorenko at (skating, two-way play, tireless worker, laser wrister) are Timmins top 4 attributes in a forward.

Remember when Burke learned Murray wanted Kadri and walked over to the Sens table pretending to want a trade and then laughed and said we're taking him? Thats the espionage at the draft.

All I can remember from that draft is the look on his face when LA drafted Brayden Schenn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3uyQPngL2s

Steve Hindle on hockeybuzz (I know, shouldn't be looking at that site, but just like playboy I only read it for the articles lol) was talking about packaging up a bunch of our 2nd round picks and a prospect or two, and trading up for another top 10 pick in this years draft. Do you guys think this is realistic? 2 top 10 picks would certainly help the rebuild.

(null)

Edited by Kiwihab

Steve Hindle on hockeybuzz (I know, shouldn't be looking at that site, but just like playboy I only read it for the articles lol) was talking about packaging up a bunch of our 2nd round picks and a prospect or two, and trading up for another top 10 pick in this years draft. Do you guys think this is realistic? 2 top 10 picks would certainly help the rebuild.

(null)

I dont, we saw the Sens package the picks last year and it only got them to 23 overall. The cost of top 10s is huge.

What we could do is package a couple seconds with our first to move up 1 or 2 spots if we need to.

We better be careful, I'm in constant contact with Leaf fans for work. They've suddenly got eyes on these lottery players as well.

As soon as the leafs are realistically eliminated, but not mathematically eliminated, they'll go on a late season run to try and get in again, only to fall short and finish in 10th-12th.

Its the M.O. of that team. As soon as the pressure of the playoff spot being on the line hit, they went 1-9-1 in their last 11. As soon as the pressure is off, and playoffs are no longer realistic, they'll win some games, and everyone will talk about how Next Season they will break the playoff drought FOR SURE. The arguments will be, "if you eliminate february and early march, we are a top 5 team in the NHL. Next year when Burke puts in his special 10 day early trade deadline for the Leafs only and takes away the deadline pressure, we'll be cup contenders and Kessel will score 40 goals."

The more I write about and think about Gally and Grigo the more interesting the decision becomes.

The guys are so close. Personally I lean to Grigo but what does our organization do?

Timmins typically favours the Galchenyuk type over the Grigorenko type. Its just his history of drafting the better skating and two way play will sway him in a close decision.

If we hire Roy, we know he'll push hard for Grigorenko. Interesting dynamic right off the bat.

I think it's time to address the "C" position. Especially if both players are close in terms of talent.

The biggest problem with the Leafs since Burke came in is a lack of veterans to create cohesion or reliability. when John-Michael Liles is your grizzled veteran, you're going to have issues keeping it together for 82 games. The value of guys like Hal Gill and Jason Arnott can sometimes be forgotten in the Internet stat age.

Yes, i agree. They need to address the C or take an nhl ready dman. I heard there may only be 2 of those.

Based on some posters and articles it looks like the habs like Galy better Grigerenko. Which doesn't really matter to me. To me the question is are either one of those nhl ready?

If they are, then either DD or pleks need to be moved.

They need top end talent period.