2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Dont forget we are hoping Greg Pateryn is the next Gorges type and his d-partner Bennett could fit in nicely in a couple years also. And that Phillip Di Giuseppe is a super looking prospect that would be great to snag early in 2nd round maybe?

But that cull Cammalleri came from Michigan also, so you can go on hating him if you like!

I don't hate anyone with the CH stamp of approval. Love the Habs more than any of my teams... Ie Patches, Bennett, Pateryn, Palushaj, or anyone we draft going forward. And I agree, i wouldnt mind drafting Di Giuseppe.

But Cammalleri and Komisarek can go back where they came from :P

You just know with a Gaunce, he will not likely be a "floater", as the russians and some euros tend to be. And i would almost hand the future #1 centre job to out our flying Dane, he is looking better all the time! And if Gaunce can fill the #2 centre role in 2 or 3 years that would be just perfect.

And from reports on Gaunce they always seem to note his off-ice leadership as a bonus and you got to love his size. And he did stand out at prospects game i thought.

Again i say, anywhere between 5th and 15th there are some dandy prospects, no worry where Habs finally finish up. Just keep on winning, but just dont let Gauthier get any crazy thoughts and sell off picks again in a mad run for playoffs!

Go with what you got and stockpile a couple extra picks with the UFAs.

My hope is those extra picks might be used to trade up too, if one of the teams ahead of us wants a Dman.

I keep going back to this interview about Galchenyuk.... and I always knew he had the talent from my viewings of him last year, but this is the one that really clinched him as a must have for me.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2012/01/chat-with-mckeens-draft-guide-guru_19.html

BO: "Hypothetically speaking, if Alex Galchenyuk doesn’t tear up his knee, does he compete with Nail (and Grigerenko for that matter) for first overall?"

DB: "I have an advantage as I was part of the scouting staff in Sarnia that drafted Alex first overall and saw him play quite often as a member of the Chicago Young Americans and last year in his OHL rookie season. Galchenyuk has elite skills and marries it with a competitive streak that is unrivalled by his peers. In addition to his scoring exploits, as he was the highest scoring 94 in the OHL last season with 83 points in all 68 games, he is an incredibly smart-two player. He simply hates to loose and his training regime is second to none as he is very committed off ice. There is speculation that he may return at the end of February as he is rehabbing his knee twice a day and making special trips to London for treatment. Should he return it would be great for the Sting and the league as he is worth the price of admission."

This is the kind of skill that Cristoval Nieves has.

This is from the Ivan Hlinka tournament in the Summer, Nieves is playing for the US team and scores against Russia.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gDTNSMdQfgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a story on him

http://thehockeywriters.com/future-watch-cristoval-nieves/

Again,, I hate saying too much about a guy I've only seen Youtubes of... I really prefer seeing full games before I personally describe a kid's game. But the scouting reports I'm seeing (and they are few and far between due to where he's playing) are glowing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on Timmins radar if we have a late first/early 2nd round pick.

This is the kind of skill that Cristoval Nieves has.

This is from the Ivan Hlinka tournament in the Summer, Nieves is playing for the US team and scores against Russia.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gDTNSMdQfgA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here is a story on him

http://thehockeywrit...istoval-nieves/

Again,, I hate saying too much about a guy I've only seen Youtubes of... I really prefer seeing full games before I personally describe a kid's game. But the scouting reports I'm seeing (and they are few and far between due to where he's playing) are glowing. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on Timmins radar if we have a late first/early 2nd round pick.

this is exact type/quality of player the Habs havent had a crack at for years, with no 2nd and even few 3rd round picks, which is why i keep fingers crossed Gauthier can at least add a couple more picks.

But as a 2nd rounder i would lean towards maybe, Dalton Thrower, who plays with Dietz in Saskatoon and as he showed vs a much bigger Wilson in prospects game, he is not afraid to drop the gloves and another WHL d-man can never hurt to draft for more grit on back end.

this is exact type/quality of player the Habs havent had a crack at for years, with no 2nd and even few 3rd round picks, which is why i keep fingers crossed Gauthier can at least add a couple more picks.

But as a 2nd rounder i would lean towards maybe, Dalton Thrower, who plays with Dietz in Saskatoon and as he showed vs a much bigger Wilson in prospects game, he is not afraid to drop the gloves and another WHL d-man can never hurt to draft for more grit on back end.

I like thrower, but if two players are close in talent level, I'd lean towards the forwards right now as our system is absolutely stocked with young defencemen. And with Emelin and Subban throwing huge hits at the NHL level, and Tinordi, Dietz, and Beaulieu all being able to hold their own in fights, i think that long term there is plenty of grit on the backend. (though a short term stop gap is certainly necessary until those kids develop).

Thrower is actually Duncan Siemens' D partner. It's interesting to compare the 3 Blades D, because they're all pretty much the same age (Dietz and Siemens were late birthdays their draft year, Thrower a very early one). They all play a bit differently, and from a development standpoint, they actually might stunt each other a bit because no one D takes on the responsibility of a #1.

Thrower is actually Duncan Siemens' D partner. It's interesting to compare the 3 Blades D, because they're all pretty much the same age (Dietz and Siemens were late birthdays their draft year, Thrower a very early one). They all play a bit differently, and from a development standpoint, they actually might stunt each other a bit because no one D takes on the responsibility of a #1.

Commandant is correct and Habs probably should just delete d-men off draft list for this year, but if they just stick with taking best available i would think Thrower would fall into 35-40th pick range and seems a character player that any team could use more of?

But i havent seen play much at all.

Commandant is correct and Habs probably should just delete d-men off draft list for this year, but if they just stick with taking best available i would think Thrower would fall into 35-40th pick range and seems a character player that any team could use more of?

But i havent seen play much at all.

I'm not saying delet them completely. I'm just saying if its close between the D and the Fwd take the D.

For example... say the Habs are drafting and its between Ryan Murray and Alex Galchenyuk... then I'd say take Galchenyuk. But if you get to the draft table and the high end forwards are gone and your choice is between Jacob Trouba and Gaunce; I'd take Trouba, because I believe he's head and shoulders above a guy like Gaunce (and I like Gaunce).

I just think that there is a clear tiers and groupings here.

Yakupov is best

Grigorenko is #2

Murray, Dumba, Trouba (dmen) Galchenyuk © Forsberg (rw/lw) are all close from 3-7 but are a step above the next grouping.

and then from 8th spot on you get Reilly, Reinhart, Faksa, Gaunce, Girgensens, etc...

If there is a clear difference then take the Best Player Available. If the two players are very close in talent, then go with the forward.

I don't like hard and fast rules, such as Always Pick for Need, or Always Pick the Best Player Available. I prefer to look at the context of each decision and choose on a case by case basis.

Craig Button's February Rankings.

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=49649

One of the more outside the box/crazier lists out there.

McKenzie's is more accurate in the end, but is more a compilation of scouts than Button's i think? But, yes he does seem to have a different take on many prospects, but draft is a crapshoot and while i dont agree with some of his stuff, he has been around for a while and must of gained some good insight?

McKenzie's is more accurate in the end, but is more a compilation of scouts than Button's i think?  But, yes he does seem to have a different take on many prospects, but draft is a crapshoot and while i dont agree with some of his stuff, he has been around for a while and must of gained some good insight?

Yeah his list is his personal take on it based on his own scouting. Where McKenzie is a survey of scouts, and not his own opinion, but a compiliation of 10 nhl scouts votes.

http://www.coppernblue.com/2012/2/14/959595/2012-nhl-draft-consensus-top-100-february-update

Consensus Top 100 from the excellent Oilers blog The Copper & Blue. Bob Mackenzie, Redline Report, Future Considerations, ISS, Craig Button, Hockey Prospectus, The Scouting Report and Win Shares' rankings are all mixed together to create this consensus list.

If the team rises to the 10-14 draft range, I'm big on both Pontus Aberg and Tomas Hertl as forwards. Teuvo Teravainen is a big time riser as well. If we can acquire a second first round pick I'd be up for taking a shot at Martin Frk who has had a rough year battling and coming back from a concussion. I'm lukewarm on Gaunce, Faksa and Collberg to be honest. I think they all lack the high-end offensive upside the Habs need to look for.

This draft is all about European forwards and North American D.

Even though he's falling, I still like Andreas Athanasiou's skill set. If one can find one of him, Cristoval Nieves, or Raphael Bussieres in the second round that be a great find. But a great home run pick would be to draft the soon to be 20 year old Nikita Gusev in the 2nd round.

If Mike Keenan finds employment look for his team to draft Stefan Matteau.

http://www.coppernbl...february-update

Consensus Top 100 from the excellent Oilers blog The Copper & Blue. Bob Mackenzie, Redline Report, Future Considerations, ISS, Craig Button, Hockey Prospectus, The Scouting Report and Win Shares' rankings are all mixed together to create this consensus list.

If the team rises to the 10-14 draft range, I'm big on both Pontus Aberg and Tomas Hertl as forwards. Teuvo Teravainen is a big time riser as well. If we can acquire a second first round pick I'd be up for taking a shot at Martin Frk who has had a rough year battling and coming back from a concussion. I'm lukewarm on Gaunce, Faksa and Collberg to be honest. I think they all lack the high-end offensive upside the Habs need to look for.

This draft is all about European forwards and North American D.

Even though he's falling, I still like Andreas Athanasiou's skill set. If one can find one of him, Cristoval Nieves, or Raphael Bussieres in the second round that be a great find. But a great home run pick would be to draft the soon to be 20 year old Nikita Gusev in the 2nd round.

If Mike Keenan finds employment look for his team to draft Stefan Matteau.

thanks for posting.

I will take a Canadian over a Euro/Russian if sort of equal and why i seem to be sold on Gaunce as the safest pick (no, not likely to be 40-50 goal scorer but). But Habs really may be bad enough to be lottery pick and i would try for Galenchyuk/Grigorenko. And if they are gone but Dumba still available, i couldnt pass on him, but i bet Oilers take him over Murray. But OIlers are only 6 points behind Habs with 2 games in hand, so who knows how shakes out by April?

Aberg seems to be doing well, but is almost a full year older than Forsberg with same stats and i thought Collberg looked like a smaller Skinner type player, but Habs shy away from Swedes or just a coincidence they never draft them? (cept Nygren)

Hertl really stood out at world juniors and he, Faksa or Frk may all turn out great? All are good size and which would be best of those 3? Scouts seem to really like Faksa though.

Zemgus Girgensons could be a clone of Kopitar and a 70-80 point guy also (just funny,he seems almost same build and potential)?

But for me, if Gauthier can just get an extra 2nd/3rd round pick(s) that would be most important for this crappy year, cause there will be lots of good looking players still to choose from in the 30-90 range.

Dumba is my favourite of the D prospects. Trouba might be second, Murray's up there he just seems to be more of an all-round Bouwmeester type guy than anything else, which isn't a bad thing obviously, JayBo is still a good D. I was just talking about forwards I like I realize.

Frk would be risky... coming into this year he was expecting to be at or near the top, a power forward who some saw as a Czech version of Neely (but really, probably a Tuomo Ruutu type is more accurate). But his concussion has really set him back. Next year, he could make everyone look silly if he recovers.

Forsberg is definitely better than Aberg, I was talking about picking Aberg if the Habs climb closer to the playoff bubble and draft 10th or later. Forsberg might be gone by pick 5 depending on the team who picks.

Dumba is my favourite of the D prospects. Trouba might be second, Murray's up there he just seems to be more of an all-round Bouwmeester type guy than anything else, which isn't a bad thing obviously, JayBo is still a good D. I was just talking about forwards I like I realize.

Frk would be risky... coming into this year he was expecting to be at or near the top, a power forward who some saw as a Czech version of Neely (but really, probably a Tuomo Ruutu type is more accurate). But his concussion has really set him back. Next year, he could make everyone look silly if he recovers.

Forsberg is definitely better than Aberg, I was talking about picking Aberg if the Habs climb closer to the playoff bubble and draft 10th or later. Forsberg might be gone by pick 5 depending on the team who picks.

Dumba is for sure my #1 d-man as well, who i think is just a bit better at everything (skating, shooting, decision making) than Subban is?; Galenchyuk would be best realistically could hope for, a soild skilled centre? He could be anywhere from 3rd to 8th, depending on how his return and playoffs go for him?

So as it sits , picks are 5th (Galenchyuk), 35th, 55th and 65th, 1 more 2nd/3rd rounder would be sweet. Lots of good looking forwards to pick from in 1st 3 rounds such as, Bussieres/Sissons/Maidens/Wilson etc etc.

If took Galchenyuk/Sissons/Bussieres/Maidens with 1st 4 picks, could be similar quality to 2007 haul by Habs first 4 picks; McDonagh/Pacioretty/Subban and Weber.

Any chance Moan/Kostitsyn worth a 1st rounder to anyone? not likely eh?

Moen I think will get a 2nd as a return, however if someone gets desperate he might get a Hal Gill like 2nd + prospect.

Weber might get a 2nd or 3rd if made available.

Campoli a 4th or 5th.

Kostitsyn is probably a second + prospect, but might get a 1st if someone is desperate, I'm looking at LA and Pittsburgh needing a guy like him.

Weber and second?

Are you kidding? He can't can;t even make the top 6 on a botoom 5 team who's defense is probably in the bottom 3 in the league.

I agree Gill got more than i thought but Weber? Come on.

Weber and second?

Are you kidding? He can't can;t even make the top 6 on a botoom 5 team who's defense is probably in the bottom 3 in the league.

I agree Gill got more than i thought but Weber? Come on.

Young defenceman, under contract, not a rental UFA, and Right handed, and good on the PP all things that make him worth a premium IMO. The rarity of these attributes on the market can drive the price up to late 2nd/early 3rd range IMO.Look at what O'Byrne got and he was the #8 defenceman, behind Alex Picard when we traded him, and he got a recently drafted high third round pick in Bournival, and a guy who had started the season very well last year when Colorado gave him up.