2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

With those losses they should forfeit 29th overall because their next natural picks could be a lot higher

The risk here is greater than the reward, a really low draft pick who wont likely make any NHL impact for those next two years anyway

That was my thinking as well but Lamoriello is not a traditional GM. You'd think that the 29th pick would be the easiest to give up. Maybe he sees a GEM that he can nab

Although he's an excellent prospect, I'm not sure Huberdeau is a better prospect than any of the 3 or 4 forwards we'll have a shot at this year with the 3rd pick, so I wouldn't trade anything substantial to get him, even a direct swap for our pick would make me nervous. I watched him play a few times this year, and while he looks good, he didn't strike me as being totally dominant either, he'll probably need some time in the AHL, or some well managed NHL minutes, and likely a few years away from being an impact player in NHL.

I agree and dont think Hurberdeau will be that great a NHLer, and possibly be a Benoit Pouliot. Not sure why but even last year i wouldnt of picked him in top 10. He does look good vs juniors but just not sold, Couturier i would trade the #3 pick for in a second.

But Habs aint trading that pick, so just hope Galchenyuk is available at 3.

I agree and dont think Hurberdeau will be that great a NHLer, and possibly be a Benoit Pouliot. Not sure why but even last year i wouldnt of picked him in top 10. He does look good vs juniors but just not sold, Couturier i would trade the #3 pick for in a second.

But Habs aint trading that pick, so just hope Galchenyuk is available at 3.

I disagree. I've only see Huberdeau 3 times in person but he is not at all like Pouliot. Pouliot was a good skater with a good shot who did not work hard, played alot on the perimter. Huberdeau is a work horse. He likes to get dirty and hustles like mad.

With those losses they should forfeit 29th overall because their next natural picks could be a lot higher

The risk here is greater than the reward, a really low draft pick who wont likely make any NHL impact for those next two years anyway

For 2012-2013... Brodeur pulls a hamstring and retires, Parise signs with Rangers, Devils go into a tailspin from which they don't recover, and actually miss the playoffs. Sound possibe? I think so.

Over the past few days, I've been trying to figure out how the Habs still have a 5th rounder to use this draft; like most, I thought it had been dealt away in the Wisniewski trade. Here's how although it gets a little complicated as evidently Gauthier liked to deal with 5th rounders.

- Habs trade for Wisniewski, conditional 5th in 2012 goes as part of the trade (with the Fischer compensation selection). The condition is met if the Habs make the playoffs and he plays half the games (yes to both).

- Habs deal Lapierre for Festerling, ANA 5th in 2012.

- Habs deal ANA 5th in 2012 to ANA (again) for Mara.

- Habs deal Wisniewski to CBJ for 2012 cond. 7th that becomes a 2012 5th if he signs (he does).

- Habs deal 2012 5th rounder to Calgary as part of the Cammalleri trade.

If you followed along, it would seem that the Columbus pick was dealt in the Cammalleri trade. It wasn't. There was an extra clause in the NYI deal that said if the Habs traded their own 2012 5th in another trade (as they did in the Calgary deal), they then give up their 4th rounder in 2013. So the Habs do indeed have a 5th this draft (and it's the Blue Jackets' meaning it's the first pick of the round).

Essentially Montreal must own their own pick to give to the Isles in the 5th round, if they don't own their own pick, they must give the Isles a 2013 4th round pick.

Their own pick was traded to Calgary.

So we keep the 5th and give up the 2013 pick.

Essentially Montreal must own their own pick to give to the Isles in the 5th round, if they don't own their own pick, they must give the Isles a 2013 4th round pick.

Their own pick was traded to Calgary.

So we keep the 5th and give up the 2013 pick.

Meh, that's too succinct. My way was more fun to follow along with. :)

Bizzare. But I guess I'll take the pick - although it's depressing, given its importance to the Habs, to read that this is widely considered one of the worst draft pools in years.

Welcome to mid-June... where scouts always say "this draft isnt good, next year's is great" year after year. At least thats what they always say publically

Bizzare. But I guess I'll take the pick - although it's depressing, given its importance to the Habs, to read that this is widely considered one of the worst draft pools in years.

Widely considered? Dont know about that, it could be, but not in the top 90 prospects that is for sure, which is where 85% of NHLers come from.

I would bet that Habs will have a good haul of prospects and most will be very pleased with picks.

My big question is whether Columbus will take Galchenyuk or Murray?

The fourth part of my mock draft is up, I included a few picks in the 3rd round to get 2 habs picks in this edition #51 and #64.

http://lastwordonspo...-4-picks-49-65/

mock draft well done sir, of course i would switch in Bozon at 33rd and maybe Winther at 51 and Hudon is likely an OK call for first token Quebecer; but still 64 is much higher than rated. He was only rated 94th of just North American skaters, so should be a 4th rounder at best.

I would prefer Mitchell Moroz at 64 and Hudon take at 94th or some other long shot quebecer.

As well as Galchenyuk did at combine, Columbus may grab him at 2 eh?

mock draft well done sir, of course i would switch in Bozon at 33rd and maybe Winther at 51 and Hudon is likely an OK call for first token Quebecer; but still 64 is much higher than rated. He was only rated 94th of just North American skaters, so should be a 4th rounder at best.

I would prefer Mitchell Moroz at 64 and Hudon take at 94th or some other long shot quebecer.

Thre is a very good chance of that meaning.....Do we go with Grigorenko or another D?

94th is only one groups' ranking for Hudon. I think THN has him at 80 or in the 3rd round, not sure where ISS has him. I know he was a player we looked at with #64 in discussions last night for the HW Mock Draft (coming to a computer screen near you on Wednesday), I think he's a legit 3rd rounder myself.

Thre is a very good chance of that meaning.....Do we go with Grigorenko or another D?

Million dollar question! I would say would be flip a coin between Forsberg-Murray.

I did a lame/informal collation of all rankings/mock drafts and found Galchenyuk as 2nd rated (in all recent mock-ups/rankings), Forsberg-Murray were identically ranked overall at 3rd and Grigorenko below these.

But will see who Bob McKenzie has at #3 today and cant beat his track record of ranking 1st round.

Million dollar question! I would say would be flip a coin between Forsberg-Murray.

I did a lame/informal collation of all rankings/mock drafts and found Galchenyuk as 2nd rated (in all recent mock-ups/rankings), Forsberg-Murray were identically ranked overall at 3rd and Grigorenko below these.

But will see who Bob McKenzie has at #3 today and cant beat his track record of ranking 1st round.

Personally I'd go with Grigorenko over Forsberg.

94th is only one groups' ranking for Hudon. I think THN has him at 80 or in the 3rd round, not sure where ISS has him. I know he was a player we looked at with #64 in discussions last night for the HW Mock Draft (coming to a computer screen near you on Wednesday), I think he's a legit 3rd rounder myself.

Could be, i havent seen play and he has fallen since last fall hasnt he, due to zero increase in offense in 2nd year? But that big Moroz could be a slightly better Ian Shultz and looked good for a big guy in Mem Cup and 64th is maybe where a Lucic type player should be taken, not another Lefebvre/Fortier/Masse/Dumont/Archambault?? If need french content, could try and get Matteau at 33rd maybe?

Could be, i havent seen play and he has fallen since last fall hasnt he, due to zero increase in offense in 2nd year? But that big Moroz could be a slightly better Ian Shultz and looked good for a big guy in Mem Cup and 64th is maybe where a Lucic type player should be taken, not another Lefebvre/Fortier/Masse/Dumont/Archambault?? If need french content, could try and get Matteau at 33rd maybe?

I think we'll see Kevin Roy drafted with the 51st or 64th Overall Pick.

If Malcolm Subban has already been drafted at 33rd, it's a toss up. Commandant had some interesting reasons for why we'll take Mark Jankowski.

Thanks

Remember this isnt necessarily who I want, but who I predict we'll take.

I admit I've never even seen Jankowski, so I have no idea how good he is, but I gave reasons why the organization will like him IMO

I think we'll see Kevin Roy drafted with the 51st or 64th Overall Pick.

If Malcolm Subban has already been drafted at 33rd, it's a toss up. Commandant had some interesting reasons for why we'll take Mark Jankowski.

I doubt Subban would be available after 1st round and wouldnt want him chosen, tons of other goalies to be had later on, Makarov would be one i would like to see picked, or better yet, just sign a young free agent like Aaron Dell.

Jankowski is a wildcard, but stats and on paper looks good for sure. But Tim Bozon managed 36 goals as rookie in WHL, which is a cut above prep school for sure and i would guess a safer pick.

Thanks

Remember this isnt necessarily who I want, but who I predict we'll take.

I admit I've never even seen Jankowski, so I have no idea how good he is, but I gave reasons why the organization will like him IMO

Impossible (darn near) at this late pick to guess correctly, so i simply guess whom i would take or maybe should be (and i have seen alot more of Bozon/Sutter/Moroz/Winther and other WHLers, so am a bit biased also).