2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Forsbergs team Leksand is having some sort of pretraining camp around here where I live for a few days now. Should I go stalk them and look for Forsberg? :D

Bet he is in the US preparing for the draft so no use of that.

I'm hoping they don't, but I could see Columbus taking Galchenyuk, just have a funny feeling.

I have a feeling the top five knows what each team in the top five is picking. This is why Toronto made a big stink about Montreal getting Dudley so they can whine and cry when Montreal picks the guy they wanted.

I have a feeling the top five knows what each team in the top five is picking. This is why Toronto made a big stink about Montreal getting Dudley so they can whine and cry when Montreal picks the guy they wanted.

Lol, that organization doesn't have the smarts to pick the guy Timmons wants, they shouldn't worry.

Lol, that organization doesn't have the smarts to pick the guy Timmons wants, they shouldn't worry.

Well we're talking top five picks. It would be different if they were arguing about Montreal taking the guy they wanted in the fifth round. Anyone I know who knows Toronto scouts say their targets are the same as Montreals: Yak, Gally and Forsberg. Both teams have open possibilities to select blueliners but it's quite doubtful.

Toronto isn't completely terrible at everything. I don't think they are a bad drafting team. The bad Toronto decisions come in free agency signings, trading, team management, assessing team needs and pro development. Drafting they are alright. Kadri and Blacker will be good NHLers.

If Galchenyuk does go to Columbus, I would be okay with Forsberg. He seems like he's projected to be a top 3 power forward.

As would I those are my top 2 choices.

Well we're talking top five picks. It would be different if they were arguing about Montreal taking the guy they wanted in the fifth round. Anyone I know who knows Toronto scouts say their targets are the same as Montreals: Yak, Gally and Forsberg. Both teams have open possibilities to select blueliners but it's quite doubtful.

Toronto isn't completely terrible at everything. I don't think they are a bad drafting team. The bad Toronto decisions come in free agency signings, trading, team management, assessing team needs and pro development. Drafting they are alright. Kadri and Blacker will be good NHLers.

Actually, they don't even like Kadri anymore, and even the players they did alright with, ie, Schenn, they manage to totally screw up afterwards. They do do everything wrong. Lets hope the new ownership there gives the existing management a big thumbs up.

I'm hoping they don't, but I could see Columbus taking Galchenyuk, just have a funny feeling.

I'm hoping they do, so we may go after Grigo, but I think if they did take Galchenyuk, we would take Murray.

Did anyone watch the TSN mock draft last night? Did you hear what that idiot Mcguire said that Edmonton should ask for the top pick? Pk, and Montreals 1st round pick, for the first pick. He is obviously undervaluing PK, in my mind. Mind you, this is what he said Edmonton should ask for, not what Montreal should do, but still, glad this guy wasn't chosen as the GM.

Did anyone watch the TSN mock draft last night? Did you hear what that idiot Mcguire said that Edmonton should ask for the top pick? Pk, and Montreals 1st round pick, for the first pick. He is obviously undervaluing PK, in my mind. Mind you, this is what he said Edmonton should ask for, not what Montreal should do, but still, glad this guy wasn't chosen as the GM.

I thank the good Lord that McGuire is not our GM, but I'm not sure your criticism is fair. If WE had the #1 overall pick, what would you want our GM to demand in return for it? Probably an elite young player for starters. So McGuire's argument is not crazy, especially if you believe there is a big drop off after Yakupov.

To suggest such a trade on national TV suggests that PM has no idea about asset value and I'm glad he's not our GM.

He was adamant, it wasn't just PK for #1, it was PK and #3 (so the oil could still get murray or reinhart) for the number 3. Then he said, oh i'll probably have to throw something else in from the Oiler side. Yeah, you'd have to throw something else in... start with Hall or RNH, you doofus.

If the rolls were reversed would Montreal not ask for the same thing. If you want the #1 overall, severely overpay.

If the rolls were reversed would Montreal not ask for the same thing. If you want the #1 overall, severely overpay.

There's a difference between an overpay and a trade that EA sports would reject and laugh at you for even suggesting.

Why doesn't Pierre suggest the Oilers trade RNH for number 3 overall so they can have both Galchenyuk and Yakupov? Because its a ridiculous non starter.

An Overpay is #3 + 33 + Beaulieu; that is at least plausible... but for an NHL analyst to go on the air with this suggestion just shows he's out of touch with player valuation.

There's a difference between an overpay and a trade that EA sports would reject and laugh at you for even suggesting.

Why doesn't Pierre suggest the Oilers trade RNH for number 3 overall so they can have both Galchenyuk and Yakupov? Because its a ridiculous non starter.

An Overpay is #3 + 33 + Beaulieu; that is at least plausible... but for an NHL analyst to go on the air with this suggestion just shows he's out of touch with player valuation.

I think the reason s because Edmonton wants Murray and Habs want Yakupov. So it would make sense for Edmonton to ask the world for the guy if he is far and away the best players available. Doesn't mean Habs would even remotely consider it.

If you want to know the cost of juggling picks in the top five, look no further than 1999 which TSN just recently did an article about: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/story/?id=398633

Vancouver had third overall and gave up a first round pick in 2000 and Bryan McCabe for fourth overall. He then traded fourth overall plus two third round picks for first overall with the Lightning. He then swapped first overall with second overall.

It all depends on what the other team wants and needs. Tampa Bay wasn't too picky as they ended up trading that fourth overall pick to New York in the end. Chicago wanted a lot for their pick. McCabe was just coming into himself as a player and the pick in 2000 ended up being 11th Overall. But McCabe wasn't Subban.

If we want to swap places with anyone, it'll cost us but it won't cost us P.K. Subban. That's a non-starter. A lot of people believe Edmonton wants Murray but they do not want the pressure of selecting him first overall and skipping on Yakupov. That means if Montreal offered a guy they wanted at forward, they'd be more comfortable giving up 1st for 3rd. Who could that be? Dunno, just investigating.

It's too much to give for Yakapov.

The habs will pick Galyenchuk if Columbus doesn't.

If Galyenchuk isn't there they could move down for Grigerenko or pick Dumba or Murray. I would Go Dumba because he is a RD. Habs have Markov, Emelin, Kaberle, Gorges (plays both) with Tinordi and Beaulieu all LD. They have Subban on the RD. Weber, Diaz and others are spare parts.

I would stay away from Forsberg, he reminds me Paajarvi from Edmonton. Since when is a power forward 6' 185?

It's the habs big chance to land a Big Center in Grig or Galy. Or you go with with a top end Dman IMO. It sure worked for Nashville.

It's too much to give for Yakapov.

The habs will pick Galyenchuk if Columbus doesn't.

If Galyenchuk isn't there they could move down for Grigerenko or pick Dumba or Murray. I would Go Dumba because he is a RD. Habs have Markov, Emelin, Kaberle, Gorges (plays both) with Tinordi and Beaulieu all LD. They have Subban on the RD. Weber, Diaz and others are spare parts.

I would stay away from Forsberg, he reminds me Paajarvi from Edmonton. Since when is a power forward 6' 185?

It's the habs big chance to land a Big Center in Grig or Galy. Or you go with with a top end Dman IMO. It sure worked for Nashville.

Forsberg is

6’1.25″ 188 lbs

which is 3/4 of an inch shorter than Pacioretty. He is also still 17 and still growing, as that height was recorded over 3 months before his 18th birthday. Chances are he'll end up about the same size as Patches.

I'm not worried about the "power" part of Forsberg's game as he has the type of frame that he'll be able to add weight as he grows.

The question I have is the high end finishing ability. Many guys with similar stats at his age in Sweden develop it... but then there are stories like Jani Rita, and Magnus Paajarvi too.