2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

They need a top end center with size, they need a dman. Any combination of Weber, Diaz, Campoli, Kaberle just won't cut it if they want to contend.

I think there is just about a next to zero chance that they select a dman with their top pick. You forgot to mention the dman that they have penciled in the lineup next season, Subban, Markov, Emelin and Gorges make a sexy top 4. Campoli is gone and perhaps Weber, and having Kaberle and Diaz back there isn't as bad as people think. And with Beaulieu, Tinordi and Ellis coming, it doesn't make sense to forgo an opportunity to get a potential elite forward.

I think there is just about a next to zero chance that they select a dman with their top pick. You forgot to mention the dman that they have penciled in the lineup next season, Subban, Markov, Emelin and Gorges make a sexy top 4. Campoli is gone and perhaps Weber, and having Kaberle and Diaz back there isn't as bad as people think. And with Beaulieu, Tinordi and Ellis coming, it doesn't make sense to forgo an opportunity to get a potential elite forward.

I would say Zero is not realistic; as we can exclude Yakupov we have 3 top forwards and 2 top d-men as options for #3 pick; so i would peg it at 40% of taking a d-man.

If Dumba is taken, both Markov and Kaberle will be gone after 2013- 2014, before Dumba is likely even in NHL (fall 2014), so current roster is irrelevant; but if happen to pick Murray, then will likely see room made for him, on July 1st at the #6 d-spot. A deal of Diaz and Beaulieu to Oilers, or something of the like, could be easily done for picks-forward prospect.

I expect Bergevin to make some deals to put his stamp on team on draft day/July 1st.

I would say Zero is not realistic; as we can exclude Yakupov we have 3 top forwards and 2 top d-men as options for #3 pick; so i would peg it at 40% of taking a d-man.

If Dumba is taken, both Markov and Kaberle will be gone after 2013- 2014, before Dumba is likely even in NHL (fall 2014), so current roster is irrelevant; but if happen to pick Murray, then will likely see room made for him, on July 1st at the #6 d-spot. A deal of Diaz and Beaulieu to Oilers, or something of the like, could be easily done for picks-forward prospect.

I expect Bergevin to make some deals to put his stamp on team on draft day/July 1st.

Montreal drafted Price while Theodore was still playing really well, so its possible they could draft a dman, but I doubt it as well, because there will still be at least 2 or 3 highly rated offensive forwards available at #3, not matter how the draft goes. As for Bergevin trading some of our top prospects, I don't think so, not if he really wants to build this team correctly. In todays NHL, those young prospects are gold. And also, I wouldn't count on Markov being gone after 2013-14, unless he has to retire due to injury, I'd say he'd like to stay longer than that.

I would still like the Habs to take the best center available. Galy would be my pick w/ the 3rd OA, yet should he not be available or the Habs go the BPA route. Then I really like them to pick a player with flow on the ice. I think that might have been the tipping point for PK's selection. I find player with flow have that it for Habs hockey and fans. Last season IMHO our best players had that flow. DD, Cole, PK, CP31, JG. Plecky had like dull skates or something half the season, only half flow :(

Super skills are Divine given, skills is something you can work on but flow (IMO) comes with sometimes super skills but always heart.

For the past few months I thought the draft order was pretty well established as Yakupov, Grigerenko and then Galchenyuk. A few questions. I'm reading that according to various reports Grigerenko's stock has fallen and he may be further down the list now. Is that right??

Secondly, I was really hoping we would get Galchenyuk because he is a center, very hard working, a great skater, and probably almost no threat to bolt to the KHL. What do you think the chances are of us being able to draft him at #3??

Grigerenko has slipped for a few reason, commandant will know for sure. Work ethic, illness and i believe he is Russian and the KHL probably will go adfter him.

Galyenchuk is american i believe. Or at least raised in the states.

It will all depend on Columbus, losing Carter a center and getting a defenseman back puts Galyenchuk into play for them.

I saw a mock draft with that scenario and the habs taking Forsburg. Which i personally wouldn't do. I think he has Paajarvy (edmonton) written all ove him.

We will see in a few weeks, i would still take a chance on Grigerenko before forsberg. But that's just me. Murray is a sleeper for me anyway at 3.

Grigerenko has slipped for a few reason, commandant will know for sure. Work ethic, illness and i believe he is Russian and the KHL probably will go adfter him.

KHL has nothing to do with it.

Galyenchuk is american i believe. Or at least raised in the states.

Galy is very American and people trying to claim he's a Belarussian or Russian is xenophobia running wild.

It will all depend on Columbus, losing Carter a center and getting a defenseman back puts Galyenchuk into play for them.

Columbus has had serious looks at all of the top players. They still don't have a very good D and adding Murray would go a long way. They are hoping Edmonton does it, though so they can nab Yakupov.

If Edmonton does take a defenceman and then Nail goes next and we end up being able to choose between Galyenchuk and Grigerenko, my choice would be Galyenchuk. I sure hope it goes that way. For us to be able to end up with a big, skilled centerman would be just what we've needed for many years.

Galy is very American and people trying to claim he's a Belarussian or Russian is xenophobia running wild.

I wouldn't go to quite that extreme. In the THN Draft Guide, Galchenyuk admits he gave consideration to play for Russia internationally (in large part because of Yakupov interestingly enough).

I wouldn't go to quite that extreme. In the THN Draft Guide, Galchenyuk admits he gave consideration to play for Russia internationally (in large part because of Yakupov interestingly enough).

Lately though he has renounced his Russian passport.

Meh, if you can read body language.. Grigorenko is a bust OR will take alot of time in the AHL to mature and play with authority. He will have to have his ego eased into professional hockey so that he knows he can dominate before he is dominant.

Meh, if you can read body language.. Grigorenko is a bust OR will take alot of time in the AHL to mature and play with authority. He will have to have his ego eased into professional hockey so that he knows he can dominate before he is dominant.

I think he's a little too skilled to bust. Injuries are the only thing that might lead to that. I can see a Thomas Vanek type of career for him where he has elite skill but nobody calls him elite.

This ego/maturity stuff is ridiculous to me. Patrick Kane still doesn't have any maturity. Ego and maturity doesn't prevent a player from scoring goals in the NHL.

I think he's a little too skilled to bust. Injuries are the only thing that might lead to that. I can see a Thomas Vanek type of career for him where he has elite skill but nobody calls him elite.

This ego/maturity stuff is ridiculous to me. Patrick Kane still doesn't have any maturity. Ego and maturity doesn't prevent a player from scoring goals in the NHL.

Sorry buddy, but there are different types of maturity. Just as ego, depending on mentality and maturity dictate soo many intangibles. And, comparing a player to Kane's skill level as an example is moot. Let alone that Kane is American, playing in an American market, with very little adjustment to be made.

You know Kane personally, or are people still holding the Taxi incident against him.. or his mullet?

Sorry buddy, but there are different types of maturity. Just as ego, depending on mentality and maturity dictate soo many intangibles.

If you think Grig is going to turn into Alex Daigle because there are a few reports he wasn't trying as hard as he should have you've lost the game.

As for Kane, he has had much more than just the taxi incident. I love his mullet. My point is that Kane is an immature player and it doesn't matter. He gets the job done on the ice. Zack Kassian is going to be great for the Canucks and I know first hand how immature and how much of a "Bro" he is.

Again, nobody had an ego on the Canadiens like Patrick Roy and that didn't stop him from being Patrick f'n Roy. People need to get off the immature/ego thing. They are tangibles that you cannot relate to a players future performance. It's about as useful to whether a player will "boom or bust" as size is.

• Upvote 1

If you think Grig is going to turn into Alex Daigle because there are a few reports he wasn't trying as hard as he should have you've lost the game.

As for Kane, he has had much more than just the taxi incident. I love his mullet. My point is that Kane is an immature player and it doesn't matter. He gets the job done on the ice. Zack Kassian is going to be great for the Canucks and I know first hand how immature and how much of a "Bro" he is.

Again, nobody had an ego on the Canadiens like Patrick Roy and that didn't stop him from being Patrick f'n Roy. People need to get off the immature/ego thing. They are tangibles that you cannot relate to a players future performance. It's about as useful to whether a player will "boom or bust" as size is.

My opinion is based on interviews with him and watching his body language infront of the cameras and while interacting with people/ other prospects in general. It is only my own. In comparison to Yakupov, Gally & co. im not surprised if he drops as Esposito did, for example. Cause he is weak mentally. Again, imo. And when your confidence is shook before it is tested. That is an issue. The most alarming thing is when a player doubts himself, even though his skill dictates otherwise. IMO, mental flaws take many years of reassurance and masking before they are comfortable and had their ego inflated to fit their mentality. What im saying is ego is a bad replacement for confidence, essentially. I fear for Grigs, and would pass on him with the depth of ready young professionals at this draft.

Edited by nihilz

I predict that if Yakupov and Galchenyuk are gone, habs go with Grigorenko. I still think he's at least 3rd best forward in draft, the kid had mono this year..anyone know what that does to you? Just beats you out, its impressive that he was able to play through that at all. He's got tons of skill and great size, he's the real deal.

LOL I find it funny that people point out omg the 20 something yr old millionaire on holiday's went out and got loaded!!!! I am 30 something and i have been drunk just like the rest of ya's out there it is not a big deal. Lots of adults giver all the time and if he shows up to work ready to play who cares!!!!

LOL I find it funny that people point out omg the 20 something yr old millionaire on holiday's went out and got loaded!!!! I am 30 something and i have been drunk just like the rest of ya's out there it is not a big deal. Lots of adults giver all the time and if he shows up to work ready to play who cares!!!!

Kane got kicked out of the Kappa Sig party I was at for trying to choke a girl. It took 10 of us to push him and two of his buddies out of the house. He hung around outside and then disappeared into Kappa Kappa Gamma with some hot sorority girls. He was very very drunk. Also, he drinks beer like a girl

I get dirty drunk all of the time but choke a girl?

I get dirty drunk all of the time but choke a girl?

Was he charged with it? and you and i both know rich people are targets for scams and black mail type stuff. if he did do it he is a dickhead

Was he charged with it? and you and i both know rich people are targets for scams and black mail type stuff. if he did do it he is a dickhead

Maybe she was an ex there are ones i would like to choke!!! haha kidding people i wouldn't want to hurt hands on them so not worth it.