2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

You stuck with program and dont have any "off the board" picks and seems pretty good? But there are always at least 3 or 4 2nd rounder ranked guys who sneak into 1st round eh; I think Sieloff/Kerdiles/Nieves or maybe Hart being taken by Rangers/Kings.

And Tom Wilson as a 1st rounder? He will likley go 1st round but shouldnt (another Biggs type, who the Oilers used to pick in looking for that power-forward with zero luck) and Canucks would take the big Swedish-American before him i would hope.

Just a couple diff of opinion is all.

How has the Biggs kid done this year anyhow? I was kinda hoping he'd slip into second round, he'd be worth a pick there or the third, of course, the Leafs couldn't pass up on him. Last I heard, he threw up at try outs for the American junior team.

9 goals 17 pts at the University of Miami (Ohio) as a freshmen, he's now left school and is headed for the OHL next year.

A disappointing year overall for a first round pick, but not hugely so....

9 goals 17 pts at the University of Miami (Ohio) as a freshmen, he's now left school and is headed for the OHL next year.

A disappointing year overall for a first round pick, but not hugely so....

Interesting to see how he does next year, I was kind of hoping we'd nab him with 2nd or 3rd round pick, i'd say at worst he becomes a Turner Stevenson type, and we could use one of them on our roster on third or fourth line.

Interesting to see how he does next year, I was kind of hoping we'd nab him with 2nd or 3rd round pick, i'd say at worst he becomes a Turner Stevenson type, and we could use one of them on our roster on third or fourth line.

I'll grab my Turner Stevenson type in the 4th or 5th round or sign them in Free Agency for 1.5-2 million like a Moen or Prust.

No reason to waste high picks on them.

I want talent with the high picks.

Think about it...

1) If you get a guy with talent who contributes, you have him cost controlled for 7 years before he's a free agent.

2) Guys with talent who make free agency are rare, and you have to overpay to get them, whereas the Moens/Prusts i named above are available.

3) There are these types available later in the draft.

I'd rather gamble and lose on getting someone who can actually score, than to take a safe pick for my 3rd or 4th line.

I'll grab my Turner Stevenson type in the 4th or 5th round or sign them in Free Agency for 1.5-2 million like a Moen or Prust.

No reason to waste high picks on them.

I want talent with the high picks.

Think about it...

1) If you get a guy with talent who contributes, you have him cost controlled for 7 years before he's a free agent.

2) Guys with talent who make free agency are rare, and you have to overpay to get them, whereas the Moens/Prusts i named above are available.

3) There are these types available later in the draft.

I'd rather gamble and lose on getting someone who can actually score, than to take a safe pick for my 3rd or 4th line.

I said at worst, he becomes that type. Also a chance he develops into a second line power forward who can terrorize other teams d-men. I'm sure thats why he was ranked where he was by a lot of scouts, he has that potential.

I said at worst, he becomes that type. Also a chance he develops into a second line power forward who can terrorize other teams d-men. I'm sure thats why he was ranked where he was by a lot of scouts, he has that potential.

Its rare that a kid who couldnt score at 18 in the USHL suddenly starts scoring.

Everyone is looking for the "next Lucic" who magically develops a shot and hands at 19/20 and its rare.

The real "next lucic" will be scoring before his draft and taken top 10

So when can we expect some official weigh-ins from the combine? I'm still very interested to see how tall Galchenyuk is.

6'0" or 6'1"

Bigger than Plekanec and Desharnais or Big Enough.

I would guess he may be Pacioretty sized down the road, as they say he is a gym rat and hard worker?

Galchenyuk, I just like what I read about him, his work ethic and coming back from the ACL injury as well as he did. I also saw a short interview he conducted at the combine, I think on Sportsnet, I was impressed with his demeanor/body language. I like him and would be happy with his selection by Montreal at #3.

Galchenyuk, I just like what I read about him, his work ethic and coming back from the ACL injury as well as he did. I also saw a short interview he conducted at the combine, I think on Sportsnet, I was impressed with his demeanor/body language. I like him and would be happy with his selection by Montreal at #3.

Couldn't agree more. Luckily he was injured this season or he'd be the consensus 1b/2 pick. And it doesn't hurt that Columbus wouldnt/couldnt legitimately/confidently draft another russian forward. This draft would be mega interesting if CBJ got 1st overall.. lmao

ps.

WHAT IF.. the 1st overall was available for Subban, Avstin(other) & a 2nd(plus).

I think the possibility of drafting Yakupov & Galchenyuk is something Bergervin has to strongly consider. And that duo is worth more to the franchise than PK. Imo. Oilers could hopefully land Malcolm as well. That would be best for everyone involved. Beaulieu, Ellis. Bennet, Torp, Patteryn & Tinordi.. plus a deep defensive pool this season and a plethora or 2nd round picks on the horizon. Time to make a move.

Edited by nihilz

A couple of Hab tidbits from the combine:

- In total, the Montreal Canadiens will have interviewed 65 players this year. That’s a lot.

- Of note; Trevor Timmins, Montreal’s Head Scout, has mentioned spending some time with Filip Forsberg’s family this year, getting to know them and him.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=44719

Couldn't agree more. Luckily he was injured this season or he'd be the consensus 1b/2 pick. And it doesn't hurt that Columbus wouldnt/couldnt legitimately/confidently draft another russian forward. This draft would be mega interesting if CBJ got 1st overall.. lmao

Firstly... Columbus was burned by taking Brule, Leclaire and Picard. Does this mean they also won't confidently draft any Canadian kids?

Second.... Galchenyuk is American.

WHAT IF.. the 1st overall was available for Subban, Avstin(other) & a 2nd(plus).

I think the possibility of drafting Yakupov & Galchenyuk is something Bergervin has to strongly consider. And that duo is worth more to the franchise than PK. Imo. Oilers could hopefully land Malcolm as well. That would be best for everyone involved. Beaulieu, Ellis. Bennet, Torp, Patteryn & Tinordi.. plus a deep defensive pool this season and a plethora or 2nd round picks on the horizon. Time to make a move.

No, none of those propects are #1 defencemen.

Firstly... Columbus was burned by taking Brule, Leclaire and Picard. Does this mean they also won't confidently draft any Canadian kids?

If Brassard doesn't do any better than a 40 point center they can make a great point to never draft a French Canadian in the first round again.

Matt Murray of Sault Ste. Marie

http://lastwordonspo...54-matt-murray/

Saw him play less than I would've wanted since our GM traded 50 draft picks for Jack Campbell and Murray sat on the bench.

He'll be a stud this season for my Hounds, and would love if the Habs took a flyer on this kid.

Lots of re-entry players this year (unsigned prospects from the 2010 draft). Here they are:

Anaheim

6th Round 161st Andreas Dahlstrom

Buffalo

4th Round 98th Steven Shipley

5th Round 143rd Gregg Sutch

6th Round 173rd Cedrick Henley

Calgary

3rd Round 73rd Joey Leach

Carolina

6th Round 167th Tyler Stahl

7th Round 187th Frederik Andersen

Chicago

2nd Round 35th Ludvig Rensfeldt

6th Round 151st Mirko Hoefflin

Colorado

4th Round 95th Stephen Silas

5th Round 139th Troy Rutkowski

Columbus

2nd Round 55th Petr Straka

4th Round 94th Brandon Archibald

4th Round 102nd Mathieu Corbeil-Theriault

Dallas

4th Round 109th Alex Theriau

Detroit

6th Round 171st Brooks Macek

Edmonton

4th Round 91st Jeremie Blain

6th Round 166th Drew Czerwonka

Florida

4th Round 99th Joonas Donskoi

6th Round 153rd Corey Durocher

Minnesota

7th Round 189th Dylen McKinlay

Montreal

7th Round 207th John Westin

Nashville

7th Round 194th David Elsner

New Jersey

7th Round 204th Mauro Jorg

New York Islanders

5th Round 125th Tony DeHart

New York Rangers

7th Round 190th Randy McNaught

Ottawa

4th Round 106th Marcus Sorensen

Philadelphia

7th Round 206th Ricard Blidstrand

7th Round 209th Brendan Ranford

Pittsburgh

6th Round 152nd Joe Rogalski

St. Louis

3rd Round 63rd Brock Beukeboom (originally selected by Tampa Bay)

6th Round 164th Stephen MacAulay

Tampa Bay

3rd Round 72nd Adam Janosik

4th Round 96th Geoffrey Schemitsch

Toronto

3rd Round 79th Sondre Olden

5th Round 146th Daniel Brodin

7th Round 182nd Josh Nicholls

Vancouver

6th Round 175th Jonathan Iilahti

7th Round 205th Sawyer Hannay

Washington

6th Round 176th Samuel Carrier

Winnipeg

5th Round 128th Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel

6th Round 155th Kendall McFaull

6th Round 169th Sebastian Owuya

A few interesting names on that list, particularly Frederik Andersen, a goalie drafted by Carolina. His SEL numbers were terrific last year and the scuttlebutt is that he declined offers from the Hurricanes (instead of not getting offered a deal like many on the list). I think the Habs would be wise to consider him at some point in the draft. Jeremie Blain is an offensive d-man but with the glutton of young defencemen Hamilton bound next year they may not want one that's already AHL age. Up front, Joonas Donskoi is a player I've always liked when I saw him in the World Juniors. All in all, this is a half decent crop of re-entries compared to recent years.