Sign Jagr to play with Plekanec?

JGC21

Heard on TSN that Jaromir Jagr is going to test free agency on Jul. 1st. Call me crazy but I think Bergevin will take a run at him to play on the second line with Plekanec and Gionta.

What does everybody think?

Sign Jagr to a one year deal? Is he worth the $3M he'll likely get?

Sign the 40 year old Jagr to a team that finished last in the conference to take ice time away from a kid?

Sorry but to me this is the same as Kovalev.

Sure Jagr could keep up with Plex in a 10 game tourney but NHL seasons are a tad longer.

Sign the 40 year old Jagr to a team that finished last in the conference to take ice time away from a kid?

Sure Jagr could keep up with Plex in a 10 game tourney but NHL seasons are a tad longer.

Unlike Kovalev, Jagr actually played in the NHL last year and played fairly well. One has something left in the tank, one has nothing left.

Unlike Kovalev, Jagr actually played in the NHL last year and played fairly well. One has something left in the tank, one has nothing left.

Thats how I feel too, Jagr has something to give, Kovy's done.

Plus Jagr has always been the better player

• Upvote 1

8 points in 11 games in the post-season, 54 points in 73 games during the season. One of the greatest players to ever play the game, especially in the last 20 years. It would be like Gretzky (Yes, Gretzky) saying he wants to play in Montreal in 1999-2000 after a "bad" season of 62 points in 70 games with a -23 +/-. Why would you ever say no?

The closest we have to a young player taking that top six time and being successful with it is Bourque and Leblanc. Nobody else is going to do it with a slim chance of drafting a player ready to do it. Bringing in Jagr would create some incredible depth on the team that would put us right back in the post-season if he's relatively healthy (you just need 60 games from him).

I don't think Jagr is washed up and his production last year proves that however it is not the direction I want to go with. We need to get bigger and meaner and IMO keep going with youth. I would much rather see a guy like Parenteau here than Jagr even though Jagr and Pleks are good friends.

With that said, if we did sign him I don;t think it would be a mistake.

I thin it would be a great move. We need some immediate help up front until Galchenyuk or whoever we draft is ready. With a slim UFA pool this summer, having Jagr as a one year stop-gap would be great.

Now, would Jagr want end his career signing with the team that finished 15th in the conference?

I think he would be alright, I would be curious to see how much he wants, and if he would accept a 1 or 2 year deal, if so, and he would fit cap wise, he would be ideal. As for young guys, the only guy he would be taking time from would be Leblanc, and they could be rotated during games to give Jagr's old legs a break anyhow. Not sure if he's really interested, though, and you know someone is going to offer him a lot of money, so I really don't see it happening.

If he's willing to play here, which I doubt, then sign him. We need top-6 forwards and they're not exactly falling out of the sky. He'll probably have some injuries, but the guy has gas left in the tank and chemistry with Pleks. Great short-term bandage for a team trying to compete as it waits for the next wave.

I think he would be alright, I would be curious to see how much he wants, and if he would accept a 1 or 2 year deal, if so, and he would fit cap wise, he would be ideal. As for young guys, the only guy he would be taking time from would be Leblanc, and they could be rotated during games to give Jagr's old legs a break anyhow. Not sure if he's really interested, though, and you know someone is going to offer him a lot of money, so I really don't see it happening.

Be wary of the 35+ clause if you go into 2 year territory. I'd want him to take a big cut before considering 2 years.

I don't think Jagr is washed up and his production last year proves that however it is not the direction I want to go with. We need to get bigger and meaner and IMO keep going with youth. I would much rather see a guy like Parenteau here than Jagr even though Jagr and Pleks are good friends.

With that said, if we did sign him I don;t think it would be a mistake.

Bigger and Meaner, PA Parenteau over Jagr.... DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Parenteau? Not sure he can replicate last year's numbers without his center, Taveras. Would be a good choice for those who want more French players on the team? Is he from Quebec or Ontario?

I believe Jagr heavily benefited from playing with the very slow Scott Hartnell and Calude Giroux whom loves to slow the game down and is without question one of the top 5 centres in the game.

Thats how I feel too, Jagr has something to give, Kovy's done.

Plus Jagr has always been the better player

I agree Jagr is better than Kovalev - light years better but he is 40 and the Habs are not a serious cup contender.

8 points in 11 games in the post-season, 54 points in 73 games during the season. One of the greatest players to ever play the game, especially in the last 20 years. It would be like Gretzky (Yes, Gretzky) saying he wants to play in Montreal in 1999-2000 after a "bad" season of 62 points in 70 games with a -23 +/-. Why would you ever say no?

The closest we have to a young player taking that top six time and being successful with it is Bourque and Leblanc. Nobody else is going to do it with a slim chance of drafting a player ready to do it. Bringing in Jagr would create some incredible depth on the team that would put us right back in the post-season if he's relatively healthy (you just need 60 games from him).

My argument is that Jagr will not help the Habs win a cup next year so why take the playing time from Leblanc or even Bourque?

My argument is that Jagr will not help the Habs win a cup next year so why take the playing time from Leblanc or even Bourque?

Because we want to see the Habs be a decent team next season. Right now, thanks to the dubious Cammy trade, we have a serious need for top-6 talent if we want to compete. Bourque is clearly not a top-6 player and the same is quite likely true of Leblanc at this stage of his career. So plug Jagr into that hole. Or so runs the thinking.

Because we want to see the Habs be a decent team next season. Right now, thanks to the dubious Cammy trade, we have a serious need for top-6 talent if we want to compete. Bourque is clearly not a top-6 player and the same is quite likely true of Leblanc at this stage of his career. So plug Jagr into that hole. Or so runs the thinking.

I understand where you are coming from and I love Jagr but I would prefer other options with the current state of the team.

Jagr could very well push the Habs 1 or 2 spots up in the standings alone but I feel the better option is youth for long term success.

I understand where you are coming from and I love Jagr but I would prefer other options with the current state of the team.

Jagr could very well push the Habs 1 or 2 spots up in the standings alone but I feel the better option is youth for long term success.

The team is full of youth. After losing Gill and likely Darche, we probably need to add more veteran presence. Either we do this in the fourth line or we do it with a top six winger like Jagr or Whitney.

In Leblanc's case, he really could benefit from starting in Hamilton next year. He only got a half year down there and with all the other youngsters going there, it would be a good spot for him to be a top-6 guy, a role we hope can play with the Habs but won't be ready for yet.

In Leblanc's case, he really could benefit from starting in Hamilton next year. He only got a half year down there and with all the other youngsters going there, it would be a good spot for him to be a top-6 guy, a role we hope can play with the Habs but won't be ready for yet.

Yes would be good for his development but he needs to play that same role when he gets called up.

Can't call him up and ask him to play 12-14 minutes when he is playing 17-19 down in Hamilton.

Yes would be good for his development but he needs to play that same role when he gets called up.

Can't call him up and ask him to play 12-14 minutes when he is playing 17-19 down in Hamilton.

Call-ups rarely get the same role when they're recalled. Look at Palushaj (first liner to 4th), Engqvist (first liner; yes, seriously, to 4th), and St-Denis (25 minutes per game to 16-18). Dropping from 18 to 14 isn't that much by comparison.

There's development to be gained, not just for one player, but for all the young players on the team, by being part of a playoff race and playing in the playoffs.... Jagr helps you get there.

if Jagr doesn't help you be part of a playoff race, he's a UFA that can be flipped at the deadline for picks/prospects.