2013 NHL Trade Deadline

JoeLassister

Mildly off-topic, but does anyone have a list of the picks Montreal has in the top three rounds? Because, really? We have Calgary's 2nd? That's some serious gravy-sauce Batman!

Montreal has their 1st, their second (plus Calgary and Nashville), and their third (plus Dallas).

As for the trade, it seems like Iginla forced it to Pittsburgh or bust meaning that Feaster had no shot of getting much in the way of value back. I think Calgary was trying to string Boston along to use as potential leverage for Shero to pony up more but Feaster was in a no-win situation from the looks of it.

Montreal has their 1st, their second (plus Calgary and Nashville), and their third (plus Dallas).

As for the trade, it seems like Iginla forced it to Pittsburgh or bust meaning that Feaster had no shot of getting much in the way of value back. I think Calgary was trying to string Boston along to use as potential leverage for Shero to pony up more but Feaster was in a no-win situation from the looks of it.

but feaster forced himself into that corner trying to make the playoffs the past few years and failing. He needs out for Calgary to have a future.

but feaster forced himself into that corner trying to make the playoffs the past few years and failing. He needs out for Calgary to have a future.

I don't disagree that he has done a lousy job in general, just that I feel bad for him in this particular instance. I was listening to HC @ Noon on Sportsnet today, they were saying Feaster wanted to move him two years ago but ownership nixed it. I'm reading now that Calgary told Boston the deal was done yesterday but Iginla said no at the last minute, he forced his way to the Pens.

I don't disagree that he has done a lousy job in general, just that I feel bad for him in this particular instance. I was listening to HC @ Noon on Sportsnet today, they were saying Feaster wanted to move him two years ago but ownership nixed it. I'm reading now that Calgary told Boston the deal was done yesterday but Iginla said no at the last minute, he forced his way to the Pens.

"Here's my 4-teams list"

"oh wait, scratch that off, here's my 1-team list"

Exactly. It's really hard to extract value when the player says ____ team or bust.

I don't know how NTC work. Once you give a list of teams to the GM, can you really stop a trade to one of those teams ?

I don't know how NTC work. Once you give a list of teams to the GM, can you really stop a trade to one of those teams ?

The list is not "I am waiving to these teams" but "You should talk to these teams".

Players do not waive their NMC/NTC until the trade is ready to be pulled. Feaster had everything set for Boston and Iginla said he'd only waive to Pittsburgh. Bit of a prick move for sure. He made Feaster think he had options.

You wonder if he is just a rental, and a return to Calgary imminent. I thought they had a rule in to prevent rentals

I don't believe there's a rule, I think that was the purpose of the conditional draft picks.

If Iggy gets his cup, he's re-signing with Calgary in the offseason. Thats almost guaranteed.

There's no rule against rentals. There is a rule against accepting trading a player after an offer sheet though

There is a rule that you can't have a wink, wink, nudge, nudge I'll re-sign with you on July 5th arrangement with a player though.

It would be virtually impossible to prove someone broke the rule though.

There is a rule that you can't have a wink, wink, nudge, nudge I'll re-sign with you on July 5th arrangement with a player though.

It would be virtually impossible to prove someone broke the rule though.

Well sure. Most players move on after they get dealt to chase the Cup. I think the last guy to go right back to his team was Doug Weight.

As for wink wink nudge nudge, we'll find out what happens with Mike Keenan claiming that Kipper had a gentleman's agreement with Calgary that he would retire before his final season.

just not keen on givng up picks for very short term depth players, already have depth on d and at least several extra 3rd/4th liners. Summer is much more affordable time for trades.

I like Smid and Torres on that list. Florida seem to have interesting depth players as well.

It sounds like the Ryane Clowe deal is coming sooner than later:

A source has informed CSNCalifornia.com that the Sharks have approached Clowe’s agent about the possibility of waiving his no-trade clause, and a deal could happen as soon as Sunday.

Boston, Montreal and the New York Rangers appear to be the most likely destinations. Sharks director of pro scouting John Ferguson, Jr. was in Philadelphia for the Bruins-Flyers game on Saturday afternoon. He flew to Montreal for the Canadiens-Rangers game later that day, according to RDS’ Ren Lavoie.

Ferguson also attended the Bruins’ home game with Montreal on Wednesday.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/clowe-trade-could-come-soon

It sounds like the Ryane Clowe deal is coming sooner than later:

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/kevin-kurz/clowe-trade-could-come-soon

Perhaps if Clowe really wants MTL we could get him for a discount similar to the pens deal for Iggy. Perhaps in this case a 2nd and a prospect whose name is not well known to us all. Wishful thinking? Probably.

As part of our lead up to the deadline, we're in the midst of a Writers Weigh In series. The question for tomorrow's article is:

If you could acquire one player for the playoff run out of the names speculated to be available, who would it be and why?
I'll pose the same question to you, who do you specifically want the Habs to acquire between now and Wednesday? I'll note some of the responses as part of the article.

Maxime Talbot was a popular pick for some to help out the fourth line but he can be crossed off the line as he is out for the year with a broken leg. Ladislav Smid is also reportedly close to re-signing in Edmonton.

Maxime Talbot was a popular pick for some to help out the fourth line but he can be crossed off the line as he is out for the year with a broken leg. Ladislav Smid is also reportedly close to re-signing in Edmonton.

Smid signed a 4 year extension, $3.5M AAV

Perhaps if Clowe really wants MTL we could get him for a discount similar to the pens deal for Iggy. Perhaps in this case a 2nd and a prospect whose name is not well known to us all. Wishful thinking? Probably.

Iggy was different, he had a full NTC. He would of went to Boston if he didn't have the choice. Only reason he ended up in Pittsburgh is because he wanted to go there and could use his NTC to veto any and every trade he didn't want to be apart of. The Flames got less in return for him going to Pittsburgh than if he would of went to Boston.

Clowe on the other hand doesn't have a full NTC. He can give a list of 8 team (I believe it's 8, I could be wrong) to which he would be willing to be traded to. Once he submitted the list, he has no control over which of those teams he listed he ends up in. I expect him to land in Boston because Boston was willing to part with a pick, a roster player and a top prospect for Iggy, so they are less attatched to those 3 piece than they were previous to the Iggy trade. Boston will offer more. Only way he would land in Montreal over Boston is if Boston isn't on his list.

I think Clowe actually has a full no-trade clause meaning an Iginla situation could in theory repeat itself. That said, he doesn't have the clout that Iginla did, I'm not sure he could really orchestrate a move to one specific team.

I think Clowe actually has a full no-trade clause meaning an Iginla situation could in theory repeat itself. That said, he doesn't have the clout that Iginla did, I'm not sure he could really orchestrate a move to one specific team.

Your right, he does have a full-NTC. Misunderstood TSN this morning while they were talking about it.