White suspended 5 games

JMMR

Ehh, he shouldn't really be playing anyways. Moen, Halpern and Prust should be our permanent 4th line. The return of Prust should basically solidify our 12 forwards. Any more injuries, Blunden will have to do. If a top 9'er goes out, I'd like to see Kristo given a shot.

White is frustrating...he has such potential to be one of these tough-nut edgy agitators who can be invaluable. Unfortunately he is having one hell of a time learning how to play on that edge without falling over. I'd be very disappointed to see him going elsewhere and becoming an effective hell-raiser. But frankly, I've wondered before if something isn't slightly amiss with him (e.g., substance abuse issues or something), because his judgement seems to be just WAY below NHL level.

I was hoping for six just so he could get penalized another days' pay. That's the only real punishment he'll get from this as there was no way he'd have been playing in these upcoming games anyway. As it is, he loses a little over $18,500.

No way I'd unload White. He's had a bad year, but I'd move Moen and gorges before him. I think if we didn't qualify him Boston would sign him in a second.

Couldn't agree more.

No way I'd unload White. He's had a bad year, but I'd move Moen and gorges before him. I think if we didn't qualify him Boston would sign him in a second.

Again your right.

Losing a kid like White who yes has been bad this year and made some awful choices will chap my arse.

White can play hockey

He plays on the edge and will STAND UP for his team mates.

He can also throw the body; something the Montreal Canadiens one of if not the softest teams in the league desperately need more of not less.

White has had an awful year, but I don't want to see him go. If he can rein in his newfound tendency to be an idiot, he'll bring a lot to the table that most Habs can't/won't.

white is a good team player, you only think he has forked up because the media said so. The hit was not as bad as it looked and if he played for the broons it would be ok.

Again your right.

Losing a kid like White who yes has been bad this year and made some awful choices will chap my arse.

White can play hockey

He plays on the edge and will STAND UP for his team mates.

He can also throw the body; something the Montreal Canadiens one of if not the softest teams in the league desperately need more of not less.

Agree 100%. We will regret losing him. I saw this movie before with Darcy Tucker. No thanks.

In a way this is a test of the new regime. They're supposed to be all about player development. Well, that means not dumping a potentially very useful kid after a horrible year of growing pains. Shipping him out would be the 'old' habs' way. I've had enough of that to last me a lifetime. The only question is if he has issues off the rink, in which case matters get murkier - but I'd still like to see us being an organization that helps struggling young men to become better players and better people, instead of dumping them when they become a Problem.

He's played 25 games.... and had 5 incidents of undisciplined penalties this season. How do you trust him?

Well, it's a good question. What's more worrisome is that he's 25 years old. He's not some wet-behind-the-ears teeny-bopper and has been a pro since 2008-09. So the excuse of youthful folly can only go so far. Conversely, guys like Cooke and Torres took even longer to figure things out, and in Torres's case are still slipping off the line now and then.

At the same time, a disastrous season like this can be one of those real learning experiences that either destroy and player or make him better. I don't say "trust him." I say "it's your job to earn back our trust, and we will give you every form of support that we can to make you the player we know you can be so that we can come to trust you again." This should include sending him to the minors (as well as counselling and possibly treatment if he has 'issues') - but my grasp of the CBA in general and his own status in particular is too uncertain to know whether we'd risk losing him on re-entry waivers.

He's played 25 games.... and had 5 incidents of undisciplined penalties this season. How do you trust him?

I think for the type of issues he's had, it's more about making the mental adjustment to his approach, which is best done in the off season.

Well, it's a good question. What's more worrisome is that he's 25 years old. He's not some wet-behind-the-ears teeny-bopper and has been a pro since 2008-09. So the excuse of youthful folly can only go so far. Conversely, guys like Cooke and Torres took even longer to figure things out, and in Torres's case are still slipping off the line now and then.

At the same time, a disastrous season like this can be one of those real learning experiences that either destroy and player or make him better. I don't say "trust him." I say "it's your job to earn back our trust, and we will give you every form of support that we can to make you the player we know you can be so that we can come to trust you again." This should include sending him to the minors (as well as counselling and possibly treatment if he has 'issues') - but my grasp of the CBA in general and his own status in particular is too uncertain to know whether we'd risk losing him on re-entry waivers.

We'd risk losing him on waivers on the way down.

This should include sending him to the minors (as well as counselling and possibly treatment if he has 'issues') - but my grasp of the CBA in general and his own status in particular is too uncertain to know whether we'd risk losing him on re-entry waivers.

There are no more re-entry waivers. He would have to go through demotion waivers and despite my disdain for his repeated stupidity this year, I'd have to think he'd be claimed.

MacTavish has made a big show of "wanting to get tougher" and "making bold moves"

Now is the time to strike.

White and a 2nd rounder (ours) to Edmonton for Paajarvi

Replace his grit in free agency with someone who wont take those dumb penalties.

I'd love to get pajaarvi, but would rather try and move Gionta. They are looking for a winner and leader.

May not be the most popular time to suggest moving the captain after he pots the winner and gets us out of our slump, but hey I'd rather ha g in to white and our 2nd rounder over having Gionta back next year. Or, how about white, gorges, Gionta for gagner and pajaarvi.

MacTavish has made a big show of "wanting to get tougher" and "making bold moves"

Now is the time to strike.

White and a 2nd rounder (ours) to Edmonton for Paajarvi

Replace his grit in free agency with someone who wont take those dumb penalties.

Actually, I wouldn't count the last one. When I looked at the replay it didn't look like ill-discipline and it didn't look like an attempt to injure. It looked like an attempt at a big hit and the other player leaned forward at the wrong time. Given the crap that has gone unpunished this season, I can't believe the punishment he's recieved.

Also, as an RFA who plays with an edge, he has value. It would be (to me) a shocking departure from MB's policy of maximizing assets for White not the be re-signed, even if the plan is to trade him.