Philadelphia at Montreal | October 5th, 2013 | 1900

lazy26

Nobody, and I mean nobody wants David Desharnais. An undrafted shirmp with one good season signed to a long term deal. Unless the Flyers replace Paul Holmgren with a poster from hockeyhf.com, he will not be traded. He's staying. He has no value whatsoever. Look at how long Edmonton has tried to trade Ales Hemsky. The league is trending toward size and strength and two-way play. who would want a smurf who makes a nice pass every three games? Contrary to fans' beliefs, GM's don't trade their trash to fill their needs, they make difficult decisions about what's a priority.

And you know this how?

Again, I saw Toronto move Jamal Mayers, Nik Hagman, Matt Stajan and Ian White, getting Dion Phaneuf plus spare parts in return.

If I had to wager a guess, Vancouver loves former Habs and is in dire need of a second line center. If the Canadiens take back some cap space it could get done. It's all about making it work.

And you know this how?

Again, I saw Toronto move Jamal Mayers, Nik Hagman, Matt Stajan and Ian White, getting Dion Phaneuf plus spare parts in return.

If I had to wager a guess, Vancouver loves former Habs and is in dire need of a second line center. If the Canadiens take back some cap space it could get done. It's all about making it work.

That was years ago, and the principles in the trade were the two most irrational GMs in modern history. (Feaster/Burke). I'm not trying to be a negative Nancy, but I can guarantee no trade will involve Desharnais. At this point, Desharnais is basically playing to have a career.

Also, at that point, Hagman, Stajan and White had 100 points between them, and Jamal Mayers was an excellent fourth liner, it looks worse on paper today.

Vancouver is looking for a second line center like Plekanec. If they wanted Desharnais, they could sign any player under 5'5 from the pee wee leagues and receive the same production at a lower rate.

Two rookies played together last year (Galchenyuk, Gallagher) and look how they did?

There's a big difference between playing two rookies out of 12 forwards compared to playing two rookies out of six defencemen. Having ten other forwards let Galchenyuk/Gallagher get eased in; that luxury doesn't exist with two rookie blueliners. If you give both sheltered minutes, you're looking at running the Markov-Diaz pairing well over 20 minutes each to help compensate which isn't ideal.

Vancouver isn't stupid enough to think Desharnais is the answer to what ails them. I think Habs29 is right - Edmonton is a likely taker for DD. However, it's not clear who we could use to replace DD's minutes at C, assuming Galy isn't ripe for the move (and why would you break up the EGG line, the way it's playing?). That's why the "placeholder" theory does make sense.

Vancouver is looking for a second line center like Plekanec. If they wanted Desharnais, they could sign any player under 5'5 from the pee wee leagues and receive the same production at a lower rate.

Hyperbole much?

I have never really cared for DD and think he was propped up by Pacioretty but most trades in the NHL are less about what you are giving and more about what you are willing to receive in return. Too many people on the internet assume all trades should be giving up your crap to take someone's gold. It really doesn't work that way unless you fleece a GM. I have trouble taking you serious when you badmouth Burke's trades because aside from the Kessel deal, he is one of the best GM negotiators in the league when it comes to trading. He rarely loses a deal.

Of course teams want Plekanec but nobody wants to give what he'd cost. DD, on the other hand, has a long deal at a low price and nothing attached in terms of trading clauses. He can be sent anywhere at any time and burying him in the minors isn't as harsh as say Toronto burying Liles. All that for a guy who could find chemistry on another team pretty easily. If Bergevin wants to move him, he'll find a team. You just might not love the return.

Hyperbole much?

I have never really cared for DD and think he was propped up by Pacioretty but most trades in the NHL are less about what you are giving and more about what you are willing to receive in return.

Possible returns for DD:

-Overage junior

-Use of laundry facilities of that team on the road

-Advice

That all said, this would look pretty good soon:

Pacioretty - Eller - Briere

Prust - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta

Moen - White - Parros/Bournival

That's the lineup I want to see! I might even try Bournival with the Gally's to see how he does for a stretch of games. Canadiens have the hot hand with rookie forwards right now! Forget the vets, play the kids!

I still think the Habs need to replace Parros' toughness so I would dangle DD for a grittier fighting forward.

There's a big difference between playing two rookies out of 12 forwards compared to playing two rookies out of six defencemen. Having ten other forwards let Galchenyuk/Gallagher get eased in; that luxury doesn't exist with two rookie blueliners. If you give both sheltered minutes, you're looking at running the Markov-Diaz pairing well over 20 minutes each to help compensate which isn't ideal.

I hear you but with the D in the state that it's in, I don't know if Therrien will have much of a choice. Murray and Emelin are gone long term; one more banged up D-Man means Beaulieu's playing. Let me ask you this: would you rather have Drewiske in or Beaulieu?

I hear you but with the D in the state that it's in, I don't know if Therrien will have much of a choice. Murray and Emelin are gone long term; one more banged up D-Man means Beaulieu's playing. Let me ask you this: would you rather have Drewiske in or Beaulieu?

On a one-off situation independent of anything? Beaulieu. Over the course of a month or so where the player is only playing once in a while? Drewiske by a mile. If further injuries arise, Beaulieu would get the nod but the discussion is to whether it's a good idea currently to bench a veteran (I'm assuming Bouillon from your original suggestion, correct me if I'm wrong) to have Beaulieu play the 2nd PP unit with Diaz on this trip. You go with two rookies on defence when you have to, usually not voluntarily.

I think DD is going to improve purely based on the EGG line's success. You know that coaches are looking at them and trying to match up against them. As the EGG line faces other team's best players, the DD and plek line production should improve. This is the joy of having 3 strong second lines. I am not a huge DD fan, but I think that when Gio leaves, the team will be less redundant with little folks.

I'll have to agree more with Lovetts about DDS value for right now.

The only way I think that changes in a team loses an offensive Center before the playoffs. Then he potentially could have some value for a desperate team facing injury going into the post season.

Meanwhile the Jets just beat the Falcons WOW,!

Since you were victorious with this GDT, you get to try to set a two-game winning streak for tomorrow.

I'm on it.