When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Yeah, plus the fact the Flames had almost as bad goaltending as the Habs last year, and voila Hartley is gonzo, but not Coach Mike! ;)

Yeah, plus the fact the Flames had almost as bad goaltending as the Habs last year, and voila Hartley is gonzo, but not Coach Mike! ;)

You mean Mike as in Babcock?

You mean Mike as in Babcock?

I think he means that Genius guy who is ruining oops running the Habs bench. Hartley was hired by Jay Feaster which was probably a factor in that he is not Burkey's kind of guy. No truculence.

Well, if Hartley's team couldn't buy a save, does it follow that the coach should be fired?

I think habs rule has hit the mark. This is about a GM getting rid of a coach who was not 'his guy.' No more and no less.

Hartley is just like MT in my opinion: one of a broad mass of interchangeable, competent NHL coaches. His firing has no bearing on Therrien one way or the other. The only way it affects us is that, should the Habs struggle in the early going, we'll have a comparably-qualified bilingual replacement floating around looking for work. It's win-win for us.

Guest Stogey24

Hartley is an old school coach, which I think is what this team needs to get away from.

I'm pretty sure he brought a boxer into a practise, to teach the players how to fight.

The guy just won the jack adams, lets not put him in a group of "Meh" coaches, he is a very good coach who was made the sacrificial lamb for the season in calgary, this was by no means justified by evaluating his job. He did some amazing work developing some of their best young players, he trusted his young talent and it thrived because of it.

The guy just won the jack adams, lets not put him in a group of "Meh" coaches, he is a very good coach who was made the sacrificial lamb for the season in calgary, this was by no means justified by evaluating his job. He did some amazing work developing some of their best young players, he trusted his young talent and it thrived because of it.

Babcock has never won a Jack Adams. Quenneville has one from St. Louis. It often goes to the coach who turned a team around and not the best coach that year.

Babcock has never won a Jack Adams. Quenneville has one from St. Louis. It often goes to the coach who turned a team around and not the best coach that year.

I know that, but it still seems silly to fire a coach less than a year after he wins that trophy.

He won that trophy with a team that had an insanely high shooting percentage and got better goaltending than should reasonably have been expected, and won a disproportionate % of their one-goal games.

Everyone knew the Flames 2014-15 season was a matter of a team where absolutely everything went right, and they were going to come back to earth this year.

kinda like the 2013-14 Avalanche.

Next year's candidates the Rangers and Panthers.

Well, cross Boucher off the list of potential Therrien replacements. I guess we'll see if he is as bad as some on this board would have you believe.

I believe he learned a lot with the lightning. Now as to his don't cross the red line defence. I thought it took a lot of guts to do that. He knew he was going to get creamed over it but did it anyway to prove a point. He proved what happens if you take "the Trap" to it's final conclusion. I think Ottawa have a good coach who thinks outside the box. I like that. Le Genius thinks in the box, the cat's sand box. :)

“You learn a lot,” Bergevin said at the time. “We all learned. Players learned. I’m convinced they have, and if they didn’t we’re going to have a problem. I met with them this morning and I believe they learned a lot from what transpired this year and we’re not happy. It’s my job to address this team moving forward and I will do that. But Michel will be behind the bench.”

Is Le Genius working for minimum wage? I mean that would explain why he doesn't get fired. :)

“You learn a lot,” Bergevin said at the time. “We all learned. Players learned. I’m convinced they have, and if they didn’t we’re going to have a problem. I met with them this morning and I believe they learned a lot from what transpired this year and we’re not happy. It’s my job to address this team moving forward and I will do that. But Michel will be behind the bench.”

Is Le Genius working for minimum wage? I mean that would explain why he doesn't get fired. :)

Quite the opposite. He's signed long-term and it would cost a lot to fire and replace with another.

Quite the opposite. He's signed long-term and it would cost a lot to fire and replace with another.

He is signed until 2017/18 so not that long. I personally would be ok if he wanted to drive the team bus for the balance of his contract. I don't think coaching is his talent, maybe driving is. Oh but there is that Scotch thingy. hmmmm :)

Just for Don: that was a joke.

He is signed until 2017/18 so not that long. I personally would be ok if he wanted to drive the team bus for the balance of his contract. I don't think coaching is his talent, maybe driving is. Oh but there is that Scotch thingy. hmmmm :)

Just for Don: that was a joke.

Therrien is signed through 2018-19, actually. $2 M per year

Just a personal opinion.. but we now have the worst coach in the division!!

Yes, Guy Boucher's track record of unsurpassed excellence in the NHL certainly proves him to be a superior coach to MT

Yes, Guy Boucher's track record of unsurpassed excellence in the NHL certainly proves him to be a superior coach to MT

I'd be just fine with MT carrying on. I like him. I don't know anything about coaching and I suspect there are too many unknowns on any night to make informed judgments about what's really going on. I've liked MT all the way through.

Yes and Buffalo, Florida & Detroit's coachs are super also, not sure what their names are but; Babcock really has outcoached the rest of league and done...actually very little since losing cup finals 8 years ago and Bruins coach is on 'hot-seat' almost every year isn't he?

Sarcasm aside, Ottawa's co-appointment of Boucher with 'associate head coach' Crawford is a bit of a head-scratcher - either an innovative gambit for scooping up two attractive coaching candidates simultaneously, or a bizarre duopoly that will prove untenable in the long run, given that the head coach's better-qualified replacement is sitting right there next to him the whole time.

This seems to reflect a turn in the NHL in recent years towards 'joint' high-profile braintrusts, like Roy + Sakic in Colorado, Benning/Linden in Van (with those idiots the Acqualinis in the background, interfering) or TO's bloated triumvirate of Shanahan/Babcock/Lamoriello. I don't think there's anything new in collaborative coaching/management per se...what might be a bit new is the willingness to cram together clear-cut alpha dogs within the same structure and hope they gel into a cohesive unit.

• Upvote 1

For Crawford, he's likely hoping he can take credit for a strong PP or something to move into another job.

I really like Jacques Martin in Pittsburgh and Kirk Muller in St. Louis though. Same with the Walrus in Anaheim. Guys with flaws as head coach but still have tons to offer on a coaching staff. I think it'd be great for Therrien to have an associate coach who has head coach experience but in Montreal, people might assume he's there just to one day replace Therrien.