When does Therrien get fired?

habs rule

Isn't it interesting that All about Habs has a poll on their site, and 93% of 286 people say language should not be an issue in hiring a coach. 93% hmmm. Maybe we should hold a Canada wide referendum on this. Habs fans only of course, no forking laff fans. I wonder if I could convince Justin that is actually a matter of national importance. I mean he is always asking me for money, so really let's get this going. All in favor say aye. AYE

That's a bit of a stretch on the stats.

Pacioretty 25th, Chucky 62nd, Plek 68th, Subban 90th, Markov 130th in league scoring. That's your top 5 on the team. I wouldn't call that a group of superstars. To me a superstar is a top 20 player in the league. Period. For me Subban and Price are superstars. Pacioretty is elite. Gallagher is a legitimate 1st liner but barely elite, and chucky is a fringe elite. Hardly blows your hair back if you ask me. It's not like MT had the 1977 Canadiens and couldn't win. He had a strong team with a few issues and they outplayed their opponent consistently until February. They couldn't finish because they were short top 6 players. They couldn't stop the puck because their goalies sucked. Galy and Petry were hurt for much of the season. I would have preferred a better coach this year but I understand why MB made the choice to give him another shot. I'm surprised the "when does MB get fired" thread isn't more popular. That's what I want to see if he doesn't balance the team.

Ahhh, the infamous "Fire Bergevin" thread. Good for a few laughs now.

Isn't it interesting that All about Habs has a poll on their site, and 93% of 286 people say language should not be an issue in hiring a coach. 93% hmmm. Maybe we should hold a Canada wide referendum on this. Habs fans only of course, no forking laff fans. I wonder if I could convince Justin that is actually a matter of national importance. I mean he is always asking me for money, so really let's get this going. All in favor say aye. AYE

Frankie Gagnon had a good point, 80% of RDS viewers need French subtitles with English programming or speakers on the channel.

In the press conferences, the French reporters always go first. Molson speaks French on Twitter and did when he addressed the media. As far as the media pushing their hands, the English media has no power in Montreal.

I can't envision a scenario where a unilingual coach coaches the Habs.

Frankie Gagnon had a good point, 80% of RDS viewers need French subtitles with English programming or speakers on the channel.

In the press conferences, the French reporters always go first. Molson speaks French on Twitter and did when he addressed the media. As far as the media pushing their hands, the English media has no power in Montreal.

I can't envision a scenario where a unilingual coach coaches the Habs.

i am not sure I understand, isn't RDS in french. I used to get it some years ago cause it was cheap and I could see every game. But I have other methods now. :ph34r:

It means that 80% of Quebecois watching rds cannot understand when an English person is interviewed they need subtitles

Hmm I see, so the 100% of English speaking fans (who don't have the luxury of subtitles) don't count? It would be interesting to know the breakdown of English fans and French speaking fans.

As made clear many times before, the language issue became policy due to the fact our worst NHL season possibly ever came with a coach who didn't speak French, never tried to speak French, sucked as a coach and was probably put in the head coaching gig to deflect the heat coming at the GM.

Had Cunnyworth never became our coach, it wouldn't be team policy. It's going to be team policy until a coach can come in with a proven track record, make an effort to learn the language and win a Stanley Cup. In other words, say Joel Quenneville became available. If Montreal hired him, there would be complaining due to not following Molson's promise about a French coach, followed by Quenneville making a statement in French to the press, followed by Q hiring a prominent French assistant coach to do a lot of the media and then the team having to win the Cup.

Is it a stupid issue? In a lot of ways yes. Is it also dumb for young head coaches trying to get NHL gigs to not learn a little French (plus other languages) so they can open up the possibility for 30 jobs in the league? Yes. Is it an issue that has to go away with a very qualified candidate, which was the real issue in the first place? Yes. But until that scenario happens, this is the situation. Don't like it? Your only other option is to find a new team until the rule is lifted. That's up to you.

As made clear many times before, the language issue became policy due to the fact our worst NHL season possibly ever came with a coach who didn't speak French, never tried to speak French, sucked as a coach and was probably put in the head coaching gig to deflect the heat coming at the GM.

Had Cunnyworth never became our coach, it wouldn't be team policy. It's going to be team policy until a coach can come in with a proven track record, make an effort to learn the language and win a Stanley Cup. In other words, say Joel Quenneville became available. If Montreal hired him, there would be complaining due to not following Molson's promise about a French coach, followed by Quenneville making a statement in French to the press, followed by Q hiring a prominent French assistant coach to do a lot of the media and then the team having to win the Cup.

Is it a stupid issue? In a lot of ways yes. Is it also dumb for young head coaches trying to get NHL gigs to not learn a little French (plus other languages) so they can open up the possibility for 30 jobs in the league? Yes. Is it an issue that has to go away with a very qualified candidate, which was the real issue in the first place? Yes. But until that scenario happens, this is the situation. Don't like it? Your only other option is to find a new team until the rule is lifted. That's up to you.

After 51 years of being a Hab fan you get to tell me to fork off cause of a stupid hiring rule? It is stupid, very stupid but that is not going to make me not a Habs fan. I do not have to agree with everything they do but I AM A FORKING HABS FAN. PERIOD. You go find a new team.

Well, this went south fast.

I don't like the 'affirmative action' policy either, but I'll admit that I'm kinda tired of the debate. It's a settled fact, a policy of the organization under Molson if not his predecessors. Might as well complain that we moved out of the Montreal Forum.

Well, this went south fast.

I don't like the 'affirmative action' policy either, but I'll admit that I'm kinda tired of the debate. It's a settled fact, a policy of the organization under Molson if not his predecessors. Might as well complain that we moved out of the Montreal Forum.

yeah you are probably right. Sometimes I actually get mad. :)

Probably part of the reason why Therrien still has a job right now. What other coach out there can speak French?

Well Crawford and Boucher for starters

With Julien and AV out of the running, and barring the (unwise) choice of a raw rookie coach from the junior ranks, we're basically left with Crawford, Lefebvre, Boucher, and Carbo. I regard Crawford as an upgrade on MT (and he would no doubt get his rusty French up to speed, I'm not too worried about that), but he is the only one of the four that has anything like Therrien's resumé. Arguing that either Carbo or Boucher are self-evidently better coaches than MT is based purely on hope rather than any evidence. I haven't watched the AHL guys, but I have yet to hear anyone say anything good about Lefebvre.

This has been the Achilles Heel of the MT haters all along - the absence of an obviously superior bilingual replacement.

Guest Stogey24

I still think Crawford would be a great coach for the Habs. He's a seasoned coach and has righted some pretty shitty teams in the past.

I still think Crawford would be a great coach for the Habs. He's a seasoned coach and has righted some pretty shitty teams in the past.

I agree for sure. His teams play up-tempo hockey, he has lots of experience with youngish players looking to fulfill their potential, he's been through the highest highs and the lowest lows that pro hockey can mete out - perfect training for Montreal - he was highly successful in Europe, and he only lost his last NHL gig due to a general managerial change. Some team is going to get themselves a highly qualified, superbly well-seasoned coach when they hire Crawford. Sadly, it won't be us.

This has been the Achilles Heel of the MT haters all along - the absence of an obviously superior bilingual replacement.

Logic takes a back door to blind hate, so I've learned since he's been hired. He has actually been a great coach, yes great coach since he has come back into the fold. Many made their minds up about him that very second and he could do no right in their eyes. I wasn't overly thrilled when he got the job but kept an open mind and wanted to see how it went. Well the Habs have been one of the most successful teams since then despite an obvious discrepancy in rosters when comparing to other Cup contending teams. Even when the Habs were steamrolling through the opposition the cries of many still wanted him gone. He got zero credit for all the wins but yet got all the blame for the losses. How the hell does that make any sense? This thread and many others have slapped logic and facts into the faces of those against him but none of it matters, that's why this thread is currently on page 60.

This thread is on page 60, maybe we can keep all the therrien complaints here and not have them in all the other active threads too.

Its all therrien bashing all the time, which is great, i get it, a bunch of you hate the guy (and I'm not singling out any one person, its more than that).

But lets talk about draft choices and off-season moves, and stuff, without all the therrien stuff infecting it?

just my two cents... you don't have to agree with me, i have no real power here.

• Upvote 1

Logic takes a back door to blind hate, so I've learned since he's been hired. He has actually been a great coach, yes great coach since he has come back into the fold. Many made their minds up about him that very second and he could do no right in their eyes. I wasn't overly thrilled when he got the job but kept an open mind and wanted to see how it went. Well the Habs have been one of the most successful teams since then despite an obvious discrepancy in rosters when comparing to other Cup contending teams. Even when the Habs were steamrolling through the opposition the cries of many still wanted him gone. He got zero credit for all the wins but yet got all the blame for the losses. How the hell does that make any sense? This thread and many others have slapped logic and facts into the faces of those against him but none of it matters, that's why this thread is currently on page 60.

Agree, many have been calling for his head since day 1 and seems dosent matter why.

Agree, many have been calling for his head since day 1 and seems dosent matter why.

Does his "process" work? NO. He needs to be fired. "Hey Carey you good to go?" is simply not good enough for me.