Jan. 22, Montreal vs Pittsburgh, 7 PM

dlbalr

So anyone notice toronto tied with us in points. We'll still have 2 games in hand, but didn't we have like an 8 point lead on them with the games in hand?

So anyone notice toronto tied with us in points. We'll still have 2 games in hand, but didn't we have like an 8 point lead on them with the games in hand?

When was the last time the habs went on a run... They have been mediocre for quite some time.

Yes. Change the match ups. Markov against Malkin is a mismatch. Play Subban/Markov against Crosby. Gorges Emelin against Malkin. Oh yeah, Emealin isn't playing in favour of Boulicrap

Pittsburgh had last change, for sure they were going to keep Crosby away from the top pairing. I'm not sure Emelin's ideal for a shut down role at the moment either. Emelin playing his wrong side is a disaster most nights, putting him on Malkin the way he was playing for most of tonight? That could really have been ugly.

I liked the effort in the 3rd, the Pacioretty line looked a lot better. I'm not quite sure what exactly Budaj was thinking there with a few minutes to go but it brought a bit of levity to an otherwise tough game.

That turned out as bad as expected. I turned it off before Budaj's little rampage, unfortunately; it was probably the only bright spot all night.

At least I know that there will be CGI boobs waiting here to comfort me. Sweet, sweet CGI boobs.

Pittsburgh had last change, for sure they were going to keep Crosby away from the top pairing. I'm not sure Emelin's ideal for a shut down role at the moment either. Emelin playing his wrong side is a disaster most nights, putting him on Malkin the way he was playing for most of tonight? That could really have been ugly.

I liked the effort in the 3rd, the Pacioretty line looked a lot better. I'm not quite sure what exactly Budaj was thinking there with a few minutes to go but it brought a bit of levity to an otherwise tough game.

I was happy to see that. There's no excuse for Shawn Thornton, but Orpik running Gallagher into the boards, twenty feet away from the play in garbage time is questionable. Good to see that they care, it's basically open season on Gallagher.

in a 5-1 blowout, who cares

Likely many fans I would assume?

Got to give the big fellow props for a good game.

Gallagher, Bourque, Briere, Boullion and several others played fine as well.

Got beat by tough opponent.

Here's a question - maybe THE question. How come (as Marc Denis pointed out) the Habs were excellent defensively up until Dec. 10 (allowing 2.06 goals per game), and since then have averaged 3.01? It's not Price. His excellence has largely continued. It's the team. What's going on? How come they are suddenly porous as Rob Ford's glands on a bender? Is it the FW not pitching in? The D suddenly forgetting its job? A shift in the system? Other teams adjusting? What the crap is up with allowing an extra goal per game over the past month and half???

• Upvote 1

I don't think it's any one reason.

One simple reason could be that the eastern conference for the first 20 to 30 games was crap. As other teams have started playing better, the habs don't look as good as they did before those other teams improved.

This improvement exposes the habs D - which I've always felt had a 1a (Subban) and a 1b (Markov). Markov has been over utilized by MT AND Subban under utilized until recently.

Then they have a #4 dman (Emelin) coming back from injury who has struggled and then a bunch of 3rd pairing dmen (gorges, Diaz) and a whole bunch of 7th dmen (Murrey, Bouillon). Patryn, Tinordi or Beaulieu should have each been getting looks over playing garbage like Bouillon.

I think how MT has handled the D has been horrible. It's the players job to perform, the coaches job to get them to perform. There has also been very selective accountability.

Tonight Bouillon takes a stupid penalty and never missed a shift.

Bouillon and Murrey should NEVER be in the same game, and adding Diaz, to those two is even worse.

Another reason is that the PP has sucked as teams adjusted to the Subban/Markov threat and MT true to form has not been able to adjust the PP. The habs don't have the PP as a strength anymore, so they don't get the lead as often an we they do the defence fails them - see reason 2.

I remember past habs teams having different units for the PP then the regular lines. This is also the tactic most GOOD teams use. MT continues Rolling lines on the PP. You see this whith the pens with Malkin and Crosby both out together. Why Gionta is on the PP is beyond me. Eller, Galchenyuk have been under utilized. They may as well keep Galleghar on for the full two minutes, since he is the only guy who parks his butt in the goalies knees. The guys bigger then him than can get their butts in the goalies face are playing like pussies.

Selective accountability for the forwards as well. Prust has been garbage for the most if the last 20 games or so. Why is he still getting a free pass. You get a kid in and he plays under 2 minutes. Guys like Prust need to be hard on the backcheck. This year outside of dropping the gloves he hasn't done much. Create some healthy competition. Give Leblanc and Bournival a longer look. The amount of chances a bum like Bourque has gotten is criminal.

Guys like maxpac who are pure offense AND are producing can get a bit of a pass were softness in their own. Bourque, Prust, parros, Gionta, are veterans who need to be held more accountable. I'd include Moen on that list, but this yeR he has been pretty good.

Thinning the offense by spreading the offense. Can MT try to put TWO solid offensive lines out rather then just one by crippling pleks with Moen or Prust or Bourque. I'd even take Gionta off the line and put pleks with Briere and Eller until Galchenyuk returns. Have a solid checking line with Prust, Moen and white when he returns and have a kid energy line.

Last year some of the blame for the collapse was on Price. This year even when letting in 4 or 5 goals, price has been solid. Bottom line is, like last year, as other teams improved and other coaches adjusted to the habs strengths, MT is being exposed for the weak tactician and buffoon that he is.

Here's a question - maybe THE question. How come (as Marc Denis pointed out) the Habs were excellent defensively up until Dec. 10 (allowing 2.06 goals per game), and since then have averaged 3.01? It's not Price. His excellence has largely continued. It's the team. What's going on? How come they are suddenly porous as Rob Ford's glands on a bender? Is it the FW not pitching in? The D suddenly forgetting its job? A shift in the system? Other teams adjusting? What the crap is up with allowing an extra goal per game over the past month and half???

• Upvote 1

Most times in a situation like this the old cliché is "you can't change all the players, so the coach must go" . This time, I don't really think that is true, the coach can't make the players more agile or give them the physical stature, or the mental drive to compete. Truth is that the line up is bad, and devoid of physical players to go with any talent we might have. The NHL is all about speed and size, small talented players can earn a living while they have speed but they need to be insulated by size with talent, and aggression toward the opposition's net like Gallagher brings, and the Habs just don't have that. Part of that basic lacking is Therrien's fault through his game plan, and what he asks of the players, and he must have missed the lesson Toronto gave us on going to the net with speed and scoring on the rush, that's the type of team we have, not a grinding, cycling team like he demands they play like. Personnel changes to equip us with size needs to come before a coaching change, I don't really think we are at that point yet from our low of two seasons past.

I agree that Therrien has made some bad decisions, but he isn't the one floating around not back checking or lazily not coming back with his man, and basically giving up on plays. He doesn't have the players to work with, to effect changes that need to be made to game plan, or to handle some opposing teams, teams with speed and teams with size and aggression absolutely own us.

Too many blown defensive coverage by both forwards and defense, and not the diversty/talent needed to right the sinking ship.

If we are going to keep Markov, then we need to insulate him with a big, tough, stay at home defenseman, that will cover his blown aggressive chances he takes in the neutral zone or at his own blue. Can Emelin return to form, I think he will given time....

Subban needs to be permitted to be Subban, and he needs a stay at home defenseman, with some shutdown abilities. Tinordi.

Gorges needs to go, no doubt about it, and Beaulieu can finish the season with Murray, and next season Pateryn will be here to stay. He has good size and decent offensively.

Nobody can tell me pairings of Markov/Emelin, Subban/Tinordi, Beaulieu/Murray(for this year Pateryn next year) wouldn't be better than any pairings with Diaz, Bouilion and Gorges involved, I won't believe you till I see it for myself.

Say what you like, but Murray has improved immensely since the season's start, and is the only sign of a hitter on the back end, outside of Subban, who leaves his position too vulnerable when he attempts the big hits, and him hitting worries me of injuries to shoulders, and knees etc. Waste of PK's talent to make him play too physical every night. Tinordi, and Pateryn will bring size that we desperately need on the back end, eventually.

If we cannot ice a better line up, we are doomed to miss the playoffs, and if we are doomed, then MB needs to move out all assets at deadline to change the identity from soft to formidable, and hard to play against. Markov, Plekanec, Gorges, DD, Gionta, Bourque, Eller, whoever it takes to change us from pussies to men......

Guest Stogey24

Signing Markov to a contract extension will be a mistake. He's slowly starting to wear down as the season progresses. He did the exact same thing around 40 game mark last year and looked gassed in the playoffs. Markov is a great player, but from a business perspective, he needs to be moved. The guys on the TSN panel all agreed that he's starting to look sluggish.

Guest Stogey24

HABS29. Murray was Montreal's best D-man last night. With this current roster, I bet Murray starts consistently playing in that number 6 spot.

Habs boo every team's superstar when they come into our barn. Glad PK is getting the superstar treatment.

Not really. They boo chara and we all know why. What exactly has PK done to these teams to warrant the braying? They don't boo Weber or any other superstar I have seen unless there was bad blood.

All 4 players who failed to show up in Pitt, 76-79-31-67 (till last 10minutes) are all headed to Sochi. Simply coincidence?

A game off for 79, to reflect/rest/heal-up may be in order?

Therrien move to put 55-6 both in game, seems was very unpopular pre-game, but both were solid.

Not really. They boo chara and we all know why. What exactly has PK done to these teams to warrant the braying? They don't boo Weber or any other superstar I have seen unless there was bad blood.

Because he is a bit of showboat, eggs opponents on with chirping, is visibly easy for opposing fans to recognize, as well as being a star player who is a game changer when playing well.

So is almost more a sign of respect (for lack of better word), as Reggie Jackson said "They don't boo Nobodies!"

But, is very common in sports and non-issue.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it's any one reason.

I think how MT has handled the D has been horrible. It's the players job to perform, the coaches job to get them to perform. There has also been very selective accountability.

Tonight Bouillon takes a stupid penalty and never missed a shift.

Nonsense... PK missed shifts for taking a selfish, useless penalty late in a scrum after the period ended and after Montreal got momentum. He took just as bad penalty as Boullion did DURING PLAY last night and neither missed a shift. If you can't see the difference then you are just looking to complain about MT.

Unless you have a better coach in mind or honestly believe that we are a top tier team under performing, then I see no reason to complain about MT. This team is a 500 team based on players and MT has done a reasonable job keeping them in the playoffs. All teams go through slumps and it isn't always the coaching. Usually, it is players not performing, getting run down, injured, or simply suffering from confidence issues.

I don't agree with every decision any coach makes, but I look to Bergevin to improve the roster before I throw a decent coach under the bus. Besides, we do not know what goes on behind the scenes, which can have a huge impact on coaching decisions, which otherwise look strange from the outside looking in.

It always amazes me that we all complain about the personnel on this team, yet expect MT to make them champions.

• Upvote 1

Nonsense... PK missed shifts for taking a selfish, useless penalty late in a scrum after the period ended and after Montreal got momentum. He took just as bad penalty as Boullion did DURING PLAY last night and neither missed a shift. If you can't see the difference then you are just looking to complain about MT.

Unless you have a better coach in mind or honestly believe that we are a top tier team under performing, then I see no reason to complain about MT. This team is a 500 team based on players and MT has done a reasonable job keeping them in the playoffs. All teams go through slumps and it isn't always the coaching. Usually, it is players not performing, getting run down, injured, or simply suffering from confidence issues.

I don't agree with every decision any coach makes, but I look to Bergevin to improve the roster before I throw a decent coach under the bus. Besides, we do not know what goes on behind the scenes, which can have a huge impact on coaching decisions, which otherwise look strange from the outside looking in.

It always amazes me that we all complain about the personnel on this team, yet expect MT to make them champions.

Agree, and I still see most of fan frustrations as more unrealistic "lofty" expectation related.

When no one picked Habs to contend and at best squeak into playoffs, which is more realistic.

I know some are calling for team to tank, fire the GM, fire the coach, trade 1/2 the team; but aint happening.

• Upvote 1