Oct. 18, Avs vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Instead of being bad in the 1st and 2nd, then great in the 3rd...the boys flipped the gameplan and controlled the play through the first two periods before sitting back a bit in the third. Still liked the offensive output tonight..lots of shots and not just from the perimeter.

Hugely entertaining game. :thumbs_up: I'd like us to be tighter in our own zone, but it's hard to grumble with that level of sheer excitement!

WHAT A GOAL BY PK SUBBAN. A highlight reel, jaw-dropper classic.

The big news from this contest is PK and Price. Both were as dominant as we've come to expect. If they can maintain that level, we're gonna win lots of hockey games even with dodgy coverage in the defensive end.

I thought Tinordi looked good all night, and that's discounting the (impressive) fight. A good statement game from him, the statement being "I belong." Folks are ragging on Gilbert, but Emelin also seemed to struggle with the speed of the Avs' deadly forwards. Beaulieu would have looked good tonight and might have been dressed.

Not sure about leaving Weise out either. It was a night for speed. But Moen was OK.

All told, we're 5-1 with room to improve. Gotta be happy about that.

On the coverage: I thought it was fine. I rather like Mike Johnson as colour guy, he's close enough to the game to have played against a lot of the dudes out there, which is nice. I do have one big mea culpa: I was quite wrong about George Snuffleupagus. He is doing very well in his new role: relaxed, natural, engaged, asks intelligent questions. An adroit bit of recruitment.

• Upvote 2

Have to agree with you cucumber. I want to complain alot about all the 2 on 1's we let the avs get but this game was one of the most entertaining games of hockey Ive watched in a long time. The thing with playing like this is that it could just as well have ended with the avs winning 6-3.

Have to agree with you cucumber. I want to complain alot about all the 2 on 1's we let the avs get but this game was one of the most entertaining games of hockey Ive watched in a long time. The thing with playing like this is that it could just as well have ended with the avs winning 6-3.

Agreed. I would add Subban seems to get the job done, his recovery time on plays he seems to botch adds to the entertainment. You got to like his production. The Price was Right. I liked what I seen from Galchenkuk and Tinordi, as well as some of the other kids. We will take the win with the increased confidence in our younger player; thank you very much!

Hugely entertaining game. :thumbs_up: I'd like us to be tighter in our own zone, but it's hard to grumble with that level of sheer excitement!

WHAT A GOAL BY PK SUBBAN. A highlight reel, jaw-dropper classic.

The big news from this contest is PK and Price. Both were as dominant as we've come to expect. If they can maintain that level, we're gonna win lots of hockey games even with dodgy coverage in the defensive end.

I thought Tinordi looked good all night, and that's discounting the (impressive) fight. A good statement game from him, the statement being "I belong." Folks are ragging on Gilbert, but Emelin also seemed to struggle with the speed of the Avs' deadly forwards. Beaulieu would have looked good tonight and might have been dressed.

Not sure about leaving Weise out either. It was a night for speed. But Moen was OK.

All told, we're 5-1 with room to improve. Gotta be happy about that.

On the coverage: I thought it was fine. I rather like Mike Johnson as colour guy, he's close enough to the game to have played against a lot of the dudes out there, which is nice. I do have one big mea culpa: I was quite wrong about George Snuffleupagus. He is doing very well in his new role: relaxed, natural, engaged, asks intelligent questions. An adroit bit of recruitment.

Pretty great post, I agree with every word.... Mike and George are A ok.

5-1 and I don't care really how we got there...

First post in this thread was from Stogey, went something like "Subban needs a big game"

U psychic dude U!

Gilbert will be in press box next game

I think he and Weaver should play behind Bealieu. However the coach seems to like Gilbert . Had him on for the last minute with the goalie out protecting a one goal lead. Expect him to dress for the next game.

We hung on... Would like to see them blow a team out.

Only Oilers and Flyers are giving up more goals. (and they dont have goalies)

Habs are 5-1 ............great. Only tbay has played a good game against them........not great.

Avs come into Montreal on Saturday night with third string goaltender starting his first game ever...........and lose a nail biter.

Like the 5-1 record no doubt. But this is a team that could easily go 1-5 in the next six and nobody would be surprised.

Looky at lil DD's line, +18, not bad.

(DD is 15-2 on PP faceoffs, Malhotra rubbing off on him?)

Whoa. That's some stat.

The Habs do need to tighten up, that's crashingly obvious. On the other hand: they have had a bit of luck - e.g., Duschene's crossbar in the first last night - but I don't think they've been fluking their way to 5-1. What they've done is throw a lot of talent and "looks" at other teams. The emergence of Galy as a consistent threat, the unleashing of Pleks from grinding defensive duties, Parenteau, etc., these are really giving us unexpected weapons that screw teams up. It's the whole balanced attack thing. When it's working, it makes us quite a dangerous team, because we can fall behind by a goal or two and still kill you.

The PP last night was splendid. Johnson called it nicely - the Habs were doing all sorts of things, trying different strategies and plays, keeping the Avs off balance. It's kind of a metaphor for this team when it's on.

But - if we are still playing this way in our zone by, say, January, I will be worried. Because while it's great to have that kind of offence, you can't go anywhere in the playoffs without staunch defensive-zone play. I'm sure The Genius and Zoot (whose suit was impeccable last night, actually) are fully aware of that.

• Upvote 1