Minnesota @ Montreal: 7PM EST (TVA, CityTV)

As I've mentioned before, I am lukewarm about Pointu's sweater being retired on the grounds that only the very best, all-time greatest players should receive this honour in Montreal. Lapointe was not even the greatest Montreal Canadiens defenceman of his era (Big Bird and The Senator rank ahead), let alone an all-time great D-man in the league. That said, Lapointe was a top-10 defenceman of his generation, a multiple Cup winner and part of the Big Three, so I'm not going to the wall attacking this decision.

But these observations set up my next point, which is: there's nobody else who deserves their number retired. The only all-time great player since 1980 was Roy, and #33 is already rightly hanging in the rafters. The question is whether the Habs will be able to resist the temptation of sentimental, celebratory ceremonies. That they've stooped to retiring the jerseys of "merely really good" players suggests they won't. What we'll hear pretty soon is that "the next generation" of Habs' fans deserves their retirement ceremonies too. Hello, Koivu.

Given that corporate sponsor logos will soon be desecrating the once-sacred Habs' jersey, perhaps this degeneration of the currency is appropriate anyway.

6 Stanley Cups. 2 Canada cups. Sounds like one of the top players of his era. The fact that he was #3 on his own team, just means the 70's habs had one of the greatest defence of all time.

I agree that of the last era of the habs, the only hab that deserved his jersey retired is Roy. They had some other great players, but none of them were around long enough with the team (i.e. Chelios, Lemieux, Damphousse), or win multiple cups like Roy did.

For Montreal? Absolutely.

I always call Vincent Damphousse the gatekeeper of the HHOF. He's a guy who had a fantastic career, great statistics, great accomplishments and a Cup ring being one of the best players on that Cup winning team. But that's not enough to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Damphousse could be the same for the Habs retirement. While I hate it when guys wear #25 on the Habs, truth be told he didn't have a good enough career to be retired in Montreal despite a ring, being a captain and putting up great numbers. Koivu is behind him, Naslund is behind him, Markov is behind him, Richer is behind him, pretty much the only Hab that played during or after Damphousse ahead of him has his number in the rafters: Roy. Had Chelios stayed a Canadien he might be up there, but the same could be said for Rod Langway.

I think Langway and Chelios would be locks. Had Lemeiux stayed in montreal and won a couple more cups, he'd be a candidate (he won what 3 more cups and a Conn Smythe after leaving the habs?

Beautiful to see the great Guy Lapointe with tears flowing slipping into history.

I read a good article reviewing how the confidence we picked up on the latter part and playoffs of last year morphed with a young team into arrogance this year. We do have a good team here and we will get it going. It's not like we're Toronna after all.

interesting.....well if that was the case i'm sure the arrogance has been squashed.

give aways like the one pk just did get rookies benched. nice play by markov backing him up

give aways like the one pk just did get rookies benched. nice play by markov backing him up

That was a better period. Eller and Sekac both have some jump to them which is nice to see. If those two can find some chemistry, it'd really be handy for both of them.

The Habs are doing well at the faceoff dot tonight, all four C's are at or above 50%.

That was a better period. Eller and Sekac both have some jump to them which is nice to see. If those two can find some chemistry, it'd really be handy for both of them.

The Habs are doing well at the faceoff dot tonight, all four C's are at or above 50%.

that's if Sekac isn't sat again like the last time he had a great game