Another Home Opener Game: Oct. 13, Habs vs Penguins, 7 PM

dlbalr

Looks like I managed to miss a pretty good tilt. ...

And Patches is only on his 3RD goal.. while we've played 4! Why the slump?

And the team appears to be stalled at 8 points!

Oh well... :hyper:

Don't worry TH, Patches and the team are going to be ok. Just give them a little time to settle in. :)

Solid win, probably our best effort of the young season. Each line produced some chances, and Carey bailed us out when he had to. A couple shaky moments from Beaulieu and Gilbert, but the defense was strong otherwise.

The second line got close a couple times, but I keep wanting each of them to just pull the trigger and SHOOT.

Yeah the second line needs to shoot more. All in all was a good game by the boys, they came out ready to play, and they got at it. If this keeps up I am going to be a fan of le Genius. Ok probably not but still, he has not found his blender, he has been calm. Maybe Carey is giving him lessons on "chillin"? This team looks very tough to play against. Even if they make a mistake, they are all covering for each other and then of course we have Mr All World back there to bail them out. They still need a little more offence ( a power play would make a huge difference). But at 4-0 what the hell is there to complain about? Well the Rags are next and they are going to be pissed off after getting hammered by the Jets. So another tough test for the boys, but so far this team has what it takes. Keep working hard, be prepared, and be consistent on everything, and get get a forking power play. We have a shot at the cup. Oh and by the way stay healthy. :habslogo:

Fourth goal for Max , on pace for 82. Ha! Emelin had a great game with seven hits. Four lines rolling all night. Therrien only using the blender for the powerplay.

Markov played 25 minutes, need to see that cut down.

Yeah the second line needs to shoot more. All in all was a good game by the boys, they came out ready to play, and they got at it. If this keeps up I am going to be a fan of le Genius. Ok probably not but still, he has not found his blender, he has been calm. Maybe Carey is giving him lessons on "chillin"? This team looks very tough to play against. Even if they make a mistake, they are all covering for each other and then of course we have Mr All World back there to bail them out. They still need a little more offence ( a power play would make a huge difference). But at 4-0 what the hell is there to complain about? Well the Rags are next and they are going to be pissed off after getting hammered by the Jets. So another tough test for the boys, but so far this team has what it takes. Keep working hard, be prepared, and be consistent on everything, and get get a forking power play. We have a shot at the cup. Oh and by the way stay healthy. :habslogo:

I wasn't able to watch this one, but I'm glad to see the DD line got rewarded. I'm a fan of that trio, which seems to me to play terrifically smart, under-the-radar hockey - hockey for connoissuers, as it were.

MT isn't juggling the lines for three reasons IMHO. First, the Galchenyuk Project: they are committed to having Galy succeed at C and recognize that allowing him to create some chemistry with his linemates is a good idea. Second, the current configuration gives us four exemplarily balanced lines, which is what all coaches typically aim for, so why change? And third, well, the team is 4-0! Once we start losing, we will start to see some mixing and matching.

Every coach in the league mixes and matches lines when things aren't working.....

This is the most simplistic, overused, and crappy complaint that hockey fans make on the internet. It is a complaint that every fanbase has about every coach.

Just as Habs fans we made the same complaints on Julien, Gainey, Carbonneau, Martin, and Cunneyworth..... every single one got the complaint of juggling lines too often.

Take him out of the PK rotation

I'd like to see his PK time cut down as well but it appears they don't have the confidence in Beaulieu to give him a regular turn shorthanded. They could play Gilbert on his off side but I don't see them wanting to do that either.

0:59 for Beaulieu&Petry on the PP; 0:45 for Subban and 1 for 2 is better showing.

Awesome shots by Pacioretty and hard work by lil Davie saved at least 1g against.

Every coach in the league mixes and matches lines when things aren't working.....

This is the most simplistic, overused, and crappy complaint that hockey fans make on the internet. It is a complaint that every fanbase has about every coach.

Just as Habs fans we made the same complaints on Julien, Gainey, Carbonneau, Martin, and Cunneyworth..... every single one got the complaint of juggling lines too often.

I agree. And it's the same in other markets too. The fan all b*tch about the coach mixing up the lines too much. It's just silly to complain and whine about what is a universal of modern hockey.

That said, I do want to see stability for Galchenyuk in particular. Be careful about throwing him into a blender; let that line find and sustain some chemistry. At the very least, keep Galy paired with either Semin or Eller - don't start throwing him into new configurations game after game. His development at C is THE most important thing for the Habs this season (apart, maybe, from the PP).

• Upvote 1

All I was saying guys is it is nice to see him having some patience with the lines, and it appears to be paying off. Off course if things go wrong he is going to have mix the lines up to get the guys going, however in the past he has broken lines up that were producing. He is a very stubborn man from all accounts and if things are not going the way he thinks they should, he tends to want to throw everything in the blender and see what comes out, usually with less than stellar results. I am happy to see him give the guys some time to become comfortable in their roles. Of course as CC says we haven't lost yet, so when we do all bets are off.

• Upvote 1

A few seasons ago the only line in the NHL that stayed together for more than 75% of the games was the Jarome Iginla line in Boston. Every other line got flipped around and played with.

Right now there's no reason to play with lines until an injury.

Interesting fact: I watched the Boston and Pittsburgh games from American commentary and both booths went out of their way to compliment Tomas Plekanec as an elite two way centre and important to the Habs. Both called him underrated in the league.

This may be true, but as a Therrien "positive neutral" my only complaint about him last season was the amount he changed his lines. There's definitely a difference between making adjustments and literally constantly changing your lines. It's so obvious already that the players have more chemistry this season than at any point last season because the lines are intact. Come playoffs, that chemistry is huge and along with the powerplay struggles, I believe that that was truly a huge factor in our lack of offense in the playoffs and overall last season. It's possible that the argument is overused in general, but that does not mean it's never accurate. Some coaches are good at it and some coaches are bad, just like anything else.

So while it seems to be 50/50 on this board, I think the line juggling, specific to Therrien, was a valid criticism of him last season. Call it having the personnel all you want but I could believe that if Therrien were to look at himself introspectively, it's possible that he came to a similar conclusion about the way he handled the team last season. I am aware that lines constantly change and that like Machine said, once injuries come (knock on wood), they will have to be adjusted but there is a specific method to the madness and I believe and hope that it will be handled better this season.

This may be true, but as a Therrien "positive neutral", my only complaint about him last season was the amount he changed his lines. There's definitely a difference between making adjustments and literally constantly changing your lines. It's so obvious already that the players have more chemistry this season than at any point last season because the lines are intact. Come playoffs, that chemistry is huge and along with the powerplay struggles, I believe that that was truly a huge factor in our lack of offense in the playoffs and overall last season. It's possible that the argument is overused in general, but that does not mean it's never accurate. Some coaches are good at it and some coaches are bad, just like anything else.

So while it seems to be 50/50 on this board, I think the line juggling, specific to Therrien, was a valid criticism of him last season. Call it having the personnel all you want but I could believe that if Therrien were to look at himself introspectively, it's possible that he came to a similar conclusion about the way he handled the team last season. I am aware that lines constantly change and that like Machine said, once injuries come (knock on wood), they will have to be adjusted but there is a specific method to the madness and I believe and hope that it will be handled better this season.

BINGO

I haven't heard anyone around the league saying Therrien is any worse than other coaches. Honestly.

The past few seasons, Therrien has focused on duos. This season he looks like he wants set trios. From the moment Fleischmann signed on the line combinations were almost set in stone. Even the fourth line was clearly going to be Flynn - Mitchell - Kassian and then Kassian had his issues. That just meant Smith-Pelly got back into the lineup.

If things start going awry either due to injury or lack of production, I think he goes back to duos. The duos that won't change are likely:

Pacioretty-Plekanec

Eller-Galchenyuk

Fleischmann-Desharnais

And it'll be the right wingers flipping around.

Well let's face it, not everything comes out around the league. Kassian was in stage 1 rehab. I certainly did not know that. I know that MB and Le Genius did when they made the trade but it was not common knowledge. I also don't know that he is any worse than say Scotty Bowman who was the king of mix and match but there was a lot more talent on Scotty's team than there is on this one. I still say that I like that he is giving them a chance to play together and get comfortable. That he has not done before so it is a change, at least in my mind. Which is a dark and murky place.

• Upvote 1

This may be true, but as a Therrien "positive neutral" my only complaint about him last season was the amount he changed his lines. There's definitely a difference between making adjustments and literally constantly changing your lines. It's so obvious already that the players have more chemistry this season than at any point last season because the lines are intact. Come playoffs, that chemistry is huge and along with the powerplay struggles, I believe that that was truly a huge factor in our lack of offense in the playoffs and overall last season. It's possible that the argument is overused in general, but that does not mean it's never accurate. Some coaches are good at it and some coaches are bad, just like anything else.

great post