October 30, Montreal vs Calgary, 9 PM

dlbalr

According to byrons goal/MTL's win, when when semin get back into the lineup? (I don't care, I'm actually an immediate fan of byron's)

Sorry but not sure what you are asking?

Haha, hey Illwill, that was about as funny as it gets, man I have moments.

Yum, those crow meat sandwiches are tasty, everyone I complained about scored !

I am truly sorry Mr. Weise, lol :monkey:

In my defense though...

Quote from Weise..."It feels good," said Weise, who also had a career-high seven shots on goal. "I've had so many chances, empty nets that I've missed that I just shouldn't miss."

Guest Stogey24

Condom is really a good goalie, pretty good positioning, fast hands and feet, not anywhere near Price, but this guy can be a #1 in this league. May present a good problem . If we can hang on to him until Fucale is ready to be backup then trade him? Just a thought.

the guys played well and of course after I said to bring Semin back so Byron gets a goal and an assist so he will stay in the lineup. I still say Galchenyuk needs Semin (for some reason) so who sits. Alex is very key to our future I believe.

Good game by the guys never let up, never got cocky, just kept working couple of fork ups but life goes on.

All in all really good effort, and I still have not seen the blender per se, but I know he wants too. :)

Flynn will be in the presser. Semin wasn't hurting this team and as I posted earlier; He leads this team in almost 3 offensive possession categories.

I find it pretty funny that Therrien says he won't let individual players hide behind the team's success. Meanwhile, Emelin is a disaster in his own end, yet he's still getting minutes like a top pair D-man.

Guest Stogey24

Torrey Mitchell proves a lot of what I said about Eller as a third line centre last year. Mitchell does just as good of a job on the fourth line that Eller did on the third line.

Eller is getting traded

Honestly I've had it with Eller. I've been waiting for him to break out and be the player he has the potential to be but I've given up on him now. He's had so many opportunities to step up but he's so inconsistent and most of the time he produces nothing. I've been a fan of his and I've been waiting but I'm done. Please trade him.

I've been one of Eller's bigger detractors here, but I am not so convinced he gets traded.

When we've been winning (which is 83% of the time so far), we've had different guys stepping up every game. When our first line didn't get it done, one of our others would. Always there would be lines that looked weak in any given game, but another line would like better than usual. Last night was a perfect example... Our first and second lines did nothing, but our third and fourth looked like superstars. Eller has been better so far this year than he has been at any point of his career. Sure it's "Eller steps up one game out three"... But if he does that all season, I'm elated.

There's my positive reasons not to trade him. Now my negative... Based on past performance and his contact, you'd have to hold back salary to unload him, and only get aging depth players in the process. 3.5 million requires a player guaranteed to either score twenty a year, or put up 40+ points. That's never going to be Eller. MB overpaid for the big Dane. If be far less critical of Eller if he were making Weise's salary -- because Weise is an all around better player. He's faster, more physical, better defensively, and with just as good an offensive upside. But Weise isn't sucking up salary cap space. So it would be hard to move Eller.

Right now Eller is bringing more to our team than we could get in trade for him.

I've been one of Eller's bigger detractors here, but I am not so convinced he gets traded.

When we've been winning (which is 83% of the time so far), we've had different guys stepping up every game. When our first line didn't get it done, one of our others would. Always there would be lines that looked weak in any given game, but another line would like better than usual. Last night was a perfect example... Our first and second lines did nothing, but our third and fourth looked like superstars. Eller has been better so far this year than he has been at any point of his career. Sure it's "Eller steps up one game out three"... But if he does that all season, I'm elated.

There's my positive reasons not to trade him. Now my negative... Based on past performance and his contact, you'd have to hold back salary to unload him, and only get aging depth players in the process. 3.5 million requires a player guaranteed to either score twenty a year, or put up 40+ points. That's never going to be Eller. MB overpaid for the big Dane. If be far less critical of Eller if he were making Weise's salary -- because Weise is an all around better player. He's faster, more physical, better defensively, and with just as good an offensive upside. But Weise isn't sucking up salary cap space. So it would be hard to move Eller.

Right now Eller is bringing more to our team than we could get in trade for him.

You are quite correct and I agree with you.

When Bergevin gave Eller that extension, it seemed pretty clear what the plan was. He'd be bottom six last year and this before ideally sliding into Plekanec's role; his salary jumps over $4 million starting next season. Clearly that's not going to happen now.

If they're going to trade him, they have a much better shot at doing so this year. As soon as his salary jumps, the number of potential suitors will drop considerably.

Guest Stogey24

When Bergevin gave Eller that extension, it seemed pretty clear what the plan was. He'd be bottom six last year and this before ideally sliding into Plekanec's role; his salary jumps over $4 million starting next season. Clearly that's not going to happen now.

If they're going to trade him, they have a much better shot at doing so this year. As soon as his salary jumps, the number of potential suitors will drop considerably.

That's a good point.

The benching last night may be of things to come for Eller. I think Therrien and Bergevin were expecting a little more from Eller to start the year. We'll see I guess.

I may have opinions slanted by cheering for a team like montreal, but i don't think a sliding salary generally means much. Oh, there's exceptions - teams like Columbus or Phoenix, where the financials really matter, but for most teams, the cap hit is all that counts, which is averaged out over the length of a contract. Eller's cap hit is 3.5 million. That's his salary, regardless of whether he makes 3 or 4 this season or next.

That's a good point.

The benching last night may be of things to come for Eller. I think Therrien and Bergevin were expecting a little more from Eller to start the year. We'll see I guess.

Anybody who was expecting more from Eller than what he's given us so far this year hasn't paid attention to Eller over the last few years. He's currently exceeding my expectations - because my expectations for him were much, much lower than yours. I assume the status quo - that Eller will perform like he always has. Too many people seem to think he's a bonafide potential top 6 forward.

the fact that he's been playing like a second-to-third line forward so far this year rather than the 4th liner he's been over the last 4 complete seasons has me rather tickled.

Eller is playing like Eller. At 3.5 a year the Habs get a big, physical third (sometimes second) liner, penalty killer, play center or wing, take a hit to make a play, pot you 15 even strength goals a year. Sometimes he will leave you wondering whats wrong with him yes, other times he will surprise you with a whale of a game or a great play off series. As was already stated, what he would bring in a trade would net the habs less than what they are getting from him. Another fact about Lars, not a forward on the Canadiens (including Max) has had a play off as stellar as the one Larry gave us in 014.

Yes he leaves you wanting more, but come play off time (when it matters most) what current Hab forward has not.

Eller is playing like Eller.

Na. He's playing somewhat better than typical Eller. (in that he's on a semi-consistent pace to hit 20 goals.)

Which is still unexplicably less effective than some people expected.

Here we go again with Eller. I notice that all the Eller-lovers who, early in the season, were triumphantly saying 'look what happens when he finally plays with talented players!!' have crawled back into the woodwork.

He's a serviceable bottom-6 guy good for 30 points and a reasonably good two-way game. This is all anyone should expect from him.

That said, my hope for this season was that, as Galchenyuk's winger, we might see a better offensive presence from Eller. Playing on the wing is generally considered less onerous than playing C; maybe he'd be freed up a bit. No one is a greater Eller skeptic than me, but I tend to think it's a bit early to give up completely on the idea.

The thing is, we really have no choice BUT to hope that guys like Eller and Semin can be tolerably productive. I'm a big admirer of Weise and Mitchell, but they're not going to continue producing at their current pace. Sooner or later we will need Semin-Eller to generate something.

And what about Galchenyuk? He's done well so far, but how long can he go with, say, Brian Flynn as his winger?

(Incidentally, everyone is talking about Byron's goal - but how about that superb assist he delivered last night as well? That showed superb vision. Based on that one game, he not only deserves to be in the lineup but maybe a crack on a scoring line. With Semin stapled and Eller in the doghouse, why the heck not? Maybe he can catch lightning in a bottle for a few games).

Here we go again with Eller. I notice that all the Eller-lovers who, early in the season, were triumphantly saying 'look what happens when he finally plays with talented players!!' have crawled back into the woodwork.

He's a serviceable bottom-6 guy good for 30 points and a reasonably good two-way game. This is all anyone should expect from him.

That said, my hope for this season was that, as Galchenyuk's winger, we might see a better offensive presence from Eller. Playing on the wing is generally considered less onerous than playing C; maybe he'd be freed up a bit. No one is a greater Eller skeptic than me, but I tend to think it's a bit early to give up completely on the idea.

The thing is, we really have no choice BUT to hope that guys like Eller and Semin can be tolerably productive. I'm a big admirer of Weise and Mitchell, but they're not going to continue producing at their current pace. Sooner or later we will need Semin-Eller to generate something.

And what about Galchenyuk? He's done well so far, but how long can he go with, say, Brian Flynn as his winger?

(Incidentally, everyone is talking about Byron's goal - but how about that superb assist he delivered last night as well? That showed superb vision. Based on that one game, he not only deserves to be in the lineup but maybe a crack on a scoring line. With Semin stapled and Eller in the doghouse, why the heck not? Maybe he can catch lightning in a bottle for a few games).

Crawled back into the wood work............only to find it full of all the Weiss bashers.

I don't see Eller's play as deserving of being on the 2nd line. If it wasn't for the fear of disturbing the DD line I would put Flash in Eller's place in a heartbeat. That and the fact our supposed 3rd line is really our 2nd line in terms of production. I'm willing to be more patient with Semin than Eller at this point because Eller has burned so many opportunities with this team. Semin is new here so I'd stick with him for a while to give him a fair shot at it.

Guest Stogey24

Anybody who was expecting more from Eller than what he's given us so far this year hasn't paid attention to Eller over the last few years. He's currently exceeding my expectations - because my expectations for him were much, much lower than yours. I assume the status quo - that Eller will perform like he always has. Too many people seem to think he's a bonafide potential top 6 forward.

the fact that he's been playing like a second-to-third line forward so far this year rather than the 4th liner he's been over the last 4 complete seasons has me rather tickled.

When has he ever been pegged as a fourth liner. He's a third liner with the expectation of taking a leap to a second line centre.

My point was that if Brian Flynn is about to start taking preference over Eller, then move him.

When has he ever been pegged as a fourth liner. He's a third liner with the expectation of taking a leap to a second line centre.

My point was that if Brian Flynn is about to start taking preference over Eller, then move him.

Flynn is obviously not a long-term solution in the top-6. Let's not overreact to the coach's decision to send a message to a player.

On a team with holes in its FW configuration, trading a FW doesn't make a whole lot of sense, as a rule.