The time is now for Galchenyuk to be Montreal's #1 centre

Speaking of Galchenyuk, should the Habs be looking to extend him now instead of waiting until next offseason? (They're able to extend him at any time since July 1st has come and gone.) I've looked at some of the comparable players and looked at what a six year extension might cost the Canadiens: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/08/what-would-an-extension-for-alex-galchenyuk-cost/

Speaking of Galchenyuk, should the Habs be looking to extend him now instead of waiting until next offseason? (They're able to extend him at any time since July 1st has come and gone.) I've looked at some of the comparable players and looked at what a six year extension might cost the Canadiens: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/08/what-would-an-extension-for-alex-galchenyuk-cost/

So 5 to 8 yrs at $6.3 to $6.5, seems reasonable and cant argue at all. I still think (or hope at least) that Galchenyuk will rip it up, if not this year then the next, if is given 17+minutes/gm, good wingers and prime PP time.

Would you guess that they will wait, or wont happen until after the new year to get a extension deal done?

If I'm Galchenyuk, I probably think to myself that I could get more without signing an extension. On the other hand, I don't think he should be making more than Couture at this point in time.

I'll predict 31-41 for 72 points this season and if I'm the Habs I'm fine with signing him to a 6 year 36-39 mil extension. If I'm Galchenyuk, I honestly wait it out but that doesn't mean he doesn't love it here and might not consider the extension.

If I'm Galchenyuk, I probably think to myself that I could get more without signing an extension. On the other hand, I don't think he should be making more than Couture at this point in time.

I'll predict 31-41 for 72 points this season and if I'm the Habs I'm fine with signing him to a 6 year 36-39 mil extension. If I'm Galchenyuk, I honestly wait it out but that doesn't mean he doesn't love it here and might not consider the extension.

If he goes over 70 points.... he's probably going to be looking for 7 million a season IMO.

Would you guess that they will wait, or wont happen until after the new year to get a extension deal done?

I don't think we'll see an extension until next year. I could see Galchenyuk betting on himself to have a bigger season. When I started this piece a couple of days ago, I had the mindset that there should be a decent range money wise where they could get a deal done. As you saw by the end though, that range is really small and it seems to be more towards does Galchenyuk want the security now and would potentially leave a bit of money on the table to get it or not?

Monahan 7 years 6.3M/year. 62+63 points the last two years. So Galchenyuk 7 years at maybe 5.8 should be a good deal for both?

Galchenyuk will get more than Monahan.... Monahan is signing away 4 RFA years, and 3 UFA years.

Galchenyuk will only be signing away 2 RFA years because of the bridge contract.