GDT - With a Little Luck - Habs @ Wild

Commandant

Unbelievable stats. Yes, you can say they need to drive the net more. But when you're 4th overall in high-danger chances and LAST in shooting percentage, that's simply not sustainable. We're witnessing a freak 'perfect storm' of futility.

I still say the deeper problem is the netminding. Commandant posted that the goalies have a save % of below .800 in the last four games. Well, no team is going to win like that - doesn't matter how dynamic the offence is.

They just don't have any natural gol scorers on the team. Regardless of opportunities. They have been near the bottom of the league in scoring for years.

Pacs has 13 I believe, proabably close to half are empty netters, Galchenyuk has top 6 talent but hasn't shown it yet.

When you the likes of DD< Pleks, Eller and Weisse in your top 6 often, you won't score much. Regardless of the chances.

They just don't have any natural gol scorers on the team. Regardless of opportunities. They have been near the bottom of the league in scoring for years.

Pacs has 13 I believe, proabably close to half are empty netters, Galchenyuk has top 6 talent but hasn't shown it yet.

When you the likes of DD< Pleks, Eller and Weisse in your top 6 often, you won't score much. Regardless of the chances.

DD, Pleks, Eller, Weise, Byron, you name it... all of them are far better than 4% shooters for their career. So no, I don't think "they won't score regardless of the chances" is true at all.

The difference between goal scorers and non goal scorers is the number of chances they generate, not how good their shot is. There is a reason Ovy leads the league in shots and goals. There is a reason max is always amongst the NHL leaders in shots. There is a reason Steven Stamkos is always amongst the NHL shot leaders.

Are these guys shots better? Yes, but its only marginal in shooting percentage. The fact is the score so much cause they are able to generate a vast quantity of shots from high danger areas.

All of the players in our top 6 have NHL quality shots. If you give them enough high quality shooting opportunities, they shouldn't be at 4% shooting. Sure they won't be Ovy... but 8-10% is normal production here, or approximately 2 extra goals per game based on the number of shots we generate.

Gilbert has been so fackin bad lately.

You won't see him the rest of the night (lower body injury). They're now finishing with 5 defencemen, one on his wrong side, and another who has hardly played this year. It's going to be a long night for Beaulieu, Markov, and Subban.

Big break with that no goal.

Agreed - I thought there was enough evidence to call that a goal, especially from the side view where the puck had cleared the goal post entirely with a bit of room in between.

Tinordi looks like he needs a practice or two to get the puck out of the zone. That being said, I don't see these small Wild forwards rushing to go into the corners with him.

That's something he should be working on in practices. Though he rarely plays, he's at practice every day so fundamentals like that are what the extra blueliners can actually work on daily.

Pretty even game so far. Pacioretty is much more involved tonight, hopefully he gets rewarded. (Or someone else on the Habs gets rewarded, I don't much care who scores as long as they're wearing a white sweater and aren't scoring on the goalie in the white sweater...)

Looks like Fleischmann may be getting benched (or he got hurt and I missed it). Just 7:38 through 2 periods, only a few seconds ahead of Byron for the team low.

Condon making some big saves.

I feel like someone will have to score with his ass with the way our offense is going.

Maybe that could be our secret weapon on the powerplay; PK sneaks in backdoor, parks at the side of the net with his back to the play. The far-side winger blasts a slapper at his ass, playing the bank shot....

Guest Stogey24

Lars Eller skates into three Wild players in the neutral zone, gives the puck away... and boom 2-0

Ya, Plekanec did the exact same thing before that so...

Yeah, a lot more of the same. It looks like Parise just scored from the replay, so that's four goals.

Shows that CORSI can be inflated. The Habs hired an analytics flunky, and all of a sudden they're throwing the kitchen sink at the net thinking that'll make something happen. MT is even mentioning possession in press conferences. Nothing is from the slot, and nothing is off the rush. Odd man rushes are a thing of the past.