GDT - Penguins @ Habs 7pm

Commandant

The absence of Petry and, yes, Gilbert hurt tonight. The team got better as the game wore on, but those defensive-zone lapses...oy. We're papering things over with rookies and an over-used 37-year old. Not good.

Commandant has made the case for Pleks, but I'm afraid I'm with the haters tonight. The guy is making $6 mil per and for the last month and change has been only marginally more noticeable than Eller, who is himself overpaid. I get that Pleks eats the tough defensive minutes. But Mr. 26-Goal Man HAS to generate some serious offence; the team is structured in part on that premise. Enough is frigging enough.

Desharnais, I thought, started the game with a lot of zip, then faded. There's another guy that we desperately need to come up to his career norm in terms of offensive production. Again: enough is enough.

MaxPac also did nothing, but at least he's potted a few of late.

The guy who really got my goat tonight was Mitchell. Two penalties, and little else. He's been closer to a liability than an asset lately. Presumably he's still hurt, as Petry was, but I'm sick of watching him fart around out there. Might as well play Bournival.

Other than the steady improvement through the game, and Condon's excellence, the only bright spot for me was Superstar Subban, who was an absolute beast tonight. Can't ask for more from him, at least.

I find this such a demoralizing loss. All that talk about turning it around, etc., and they come out and stink out the joint in the first period, then expire from yet another brain-dead defensive breakdown.

Until Pleks and DD start producing, MaxPac starts being RELIABLY dangerous, and the D stops these Pee-Wee moments, we're going to continue to suck. Simple as that.

I agree with you 100% except for the last bolded. I think they're right where they should be in the last six games, without Carey Price. Win a game, lose a game. Winning two in a row is going to be hard to come by. They just don't have the horses, and now with the defensive and depth injuries piling up it's a tough slog.

I agree with you 100% except for the last bolded. I think they're right where they should be in the last six games, without Carey Price. Win a game, lose a game. Winning two in a row is going to be hard to come by. They just don't have the horses, and now with the defensive and depth injuries piling up it's a tough slog.

Well, one thing about this team is that it's been pretty darned healthy for the last two seasons. This year is turning into a more typical NHL season injury-wise. And maybe we need to adjust our expectations with that in mind, as your post suggests. It's a fair point.

Nonetheless: Pleks and DD need to come back to their NORMAL level of offensive production. Their long, drawn-out inability to do so is a huge contributor to this mess. That's not about injuries - it's about proven performers getting their heads out of their arses.

Guest Stogey24

His line was our best line. His line was our most dangerous.

I donno man. Definitely wouldn't go that far. Gary Galley was even saying Plek and Pacioretty weren't clicking out there.

I thought Paul Byron was the best forward. Obviously P.K had a great game. Barberio is playing pretty well back there too

Well, one thing about this team is that it's been pretty darned healthy for the last two seasons. This year is turning into a more typical NHL season injury-wise. And maybe we need to adjust our expectations with that in mind, as your post suggests. It's a fair point.

Nonetheless: Pleks and DD need to come back to their NORMAL level of offensive production. Their long, drawn-out inability to do so is a huge contributor to this mess. That's not about injuries - it's about proven performers getting their heads out of their arses.

They need all hands on deck for sure. They can't afford the slumps. Having Gallagher back has been a big boon. Before that they were playing like a lottery team.

Getting shots from in close and actually getting away GOOD shots from in close are not the same thing and the difference does not show up on stats. Once again they made fleury look better than he was by taking very poor shots on good opportunities - which speaks to them needing guys with actual finish.

This myth is really getting tired. A simple look at shot charts shows that its not true. They are about average in getting shot attempts from the home plate (hextally) high scoring chance areas. They are also very good at preventing them from high chance areas.

The stats don't support this belief, which may have been true in past seasons but isn't true now.

And before you bring up, oh but they haven't been good lately... they've actually been better during the slump, than they were at the start of the year.

But lets not let get facts get in the way of the Habs are small/soft narrative that has persisted for years (not just you, I blame many who keep repeating this).

I thought Gallagher (4shots 3 hits) played very good as did Subban, Condon of course, Byron, Barberio, Beaulieu and Emelin all played fine. The centres did very well on faceoffs and 17 shots in 3rd period was good to see effort at least.

All those calling for Pateryn-Tinordi to play more instead of Gilbert-Emelin...did you see the 2nd Pitt goal. Pateryn hasn't played much and maybe is bit rusty, but chasing that hit was fugly.

(forgot Eller got 17+ for 5th time this year :thumbs_up:and also played fine, other than dumb tripping penalty.)

Guest Stogey24

Start losing too many games consecutively and all of the sudden you start losing the dressing room a little bit. That look Max gave P.K after he said "it's not my job to score goals" was not pretty.

You want pretty looks, better places to see that than NHL dressing room. :flaming:

I think he likely was a bit taken back or shocked by the curse words Subban used to answers some reporter's dumb question.

Losing dressing room eh? Imagine if played on one of the 19 teams below the Habs in the standings, their locker rooms must be just total gong shows.

Guest Stogey24

You want pretty looks, better places to see that than NHL dressing room. :flaming:

I think he likely was a bit taken back or shocked by the curse words Subban used to answers some reporter's dumb question.

Losing dressing room eh? Imagine if played on one of the 19 teams below the Habs in the standings, their locker rooms must be just total gong shows.

Good one..This team went from top of the league to almost falling out of a playoff spot. Little different than other teams

I think you hit the nail in the head yourself - hasn't played much. Gilbert has been doing that hi whole career, but still plays. You play young players, you need to give them rope to learn from their mistakes. You play an old dog like Gilbert, you keep watching him make the same mistakes he has been making for 10 years.

I thought Gallagher (4shots 3 hits) played very good as did Subban, Condon of course, Byron, Barberio, Beaulieu and Emelin all played fine. The centres did very well on faceoffs and 17 shots in 3rd period was good to see effort at least.

All those calling for Pateryn-Tinordi to play more instead of Gilbert-Emelin...did you see the 2nd Pitt goal. Pateryn hasn't played much and maybe is bit rusty, but chasing that hit was fugly.

(forgot Eller got 17+ for 5th time this year :thumbs_up:and also played fine, other than dumb tripping penalty.)

I can't remember Gilbert actually hitting anyone;) I was referring to running around chasing a player in our zone.

Gilbert has NEVER made that mistake.

Never have i seen gilbert skate 90 feet in front of his defence partner to try and throw a hit like that.

Come on now....

No way I play Pateryn over Gilbert. Ever. I've seen enough of Pateryn to know that he is an AHLER. Gilbert is not a top 4 but he has done just fine as a #6. I actually don't hate Gilbert. His salary is slightly high but nothing like Emelin.

No way I play Pateryn over Gilbert. Ever. I've seen enough of Pateryn to know that he is an AHLER. Gilbert is not a top 4 but he has done just fine as a #6. I actually don't hate Gilbert. His salary is slightly high but nothing like Emelin.

Exactly.... I'd say that there are very few teams who have a #6 who is better than Gilbert

I think the D-corps rather misses Gilbert, actually.

I think we're seeing he was a bit more of a stabilizer than some have given him credit for. It's weird, no one (fans or media) seems to be asking when he'll be back. When he was first noted as injured, they said they'd reevaluate him after the road trip. Here we are a few days later and still nothing.

Almost out of playoffs? Have you actually looked at the standings, they arnt even a wildcard team. But can always do the glass 1/2 empty interpretation if are a pessimist I suppose.

Guest Stogey24

Almost out of playoffs? Have you actually looked at the standings, they arnt even a wildcard team. But can always do the glass 1/2 empty interpretation if are a pessimist I suppose.

It's not pessimism, it's being a realist. Sixth in the Eastern Conference, but are only three points ahead of the ninth-place Senators. The Penguins are one point behind Ottawa. Both have games in hand on Montreal

Guest Stogey24

So 3 teams need to pass the Habs to put them temporarily out of playoffs. You worry too much sir.

lol, yes I do, but there doesn't seem to be much light at the end of the tunnel in terms of this team strining some wins together.

Guest Stogey24

Sooner or later #31 will be back to SAVE the day!

Then we can go back to last year of HOPEFULLY squeeking out one goal wins. Throwing that kind of workload at a goalie nightly isn't healthy.

I don't think your seeing the big picture here

Actually Don if the playoffs started today they would be a wildcard team. Boston is 31/2 games over ..500/ Montreal is only 3. Detroit and Florida slide in ahead. MB must be under extreme pressure to do something to turn this thing around. I think a lot depends on where Price is. It may be of Montreal's best interest to concede the year, without actually saying so, and ride out the storm; depending on the health of Carey.