Who we gonna Draft?

habs rule

Sergachev fills a serious need in a left handed defenceman to one day grow into what Markov was for us. The only thing better than that would be a forward that could step in immediately like Matthews or Laine. Jost I'm iffy on his skating but I could see it. Otherwise I'd lean towards trading the pick for immediate help up front.

Sergachev fills a serious need in a left handed defenceman to one day grow into what Markov was for us. The only thing better than that would be a forward that could step in immediately like Matthews or Laine. Jost I'm iffy on his skating but I could see it. Otherwise I'd lean towards trading the pick for immediate help up front.

Sid the Kid for 1st rounder and emelin.

Guest Stogey24

2 year window to win a cup, without running into contractual issues with core players. Trade the pick with Plekanec and get a legit forward top line player.

I do like the fact of having a potential game changing player in the system though.

Sergachev seems like would be a smart pick, but would he have any offense at NHL level; if not, not real fond on choosing a defensive d-man in top 10.

Both Keller & Jost are very smart-shifty centres and I guess why McKenzie has them 10 & 11th and just more nice options for Timmins to get to pick from at 9th (or 10th).

And Bean, Chychrun, maybe Mike McLeod are three other promising options.

Sergachev seems like would be a smart pick, but would he have any offense at NHL level; if not, not real fond on choosing a defensive d-man in top 10.

Both Keller & Jost are very smart-shifty centres and I guess why McKenzie has them 10 & 11th and just more nice options for Timmins to get to pick from at 9th (or 10th).

And Bean, Chychrun, maybe Mike McLeod are three other promising options.

Sergachev: 0.85 points per game

Chychrun: 0.79 points per game

There's a very good possibility Sergachev will be an offensive defenceman in the league.

Sergachev: 0.85 points per game

Chychrun: 0.79 points per game

There's a very good possibility Sergachev will be an offensive defenceman in the league.

He also is just a rookie in North America hockey and Habs lack a LH d-man like him in the system. But...I doubt he will ever be top ten in NHL scoring, which is what the Habs have not had since Naslund 30 years ago. That is my only reservation in Habs going with a d-man in top ten.

Jost seems to be a leader and very skilled centre, so is quite tantalizing to think what he might do as #2 centre behind Galchenyuk in couple years (a Plekanec replacement).

Guest Stogey24

Habs lack left handed, but you want to trade Beaulieu. Hmm. Maybe when Sergachev hits 23 we can trade him for a forward

Habs lack left handed, but you want to trade Beaulieu. Hmm. Maybe when Sergachev hits 23 we can trade him for a forward

Never ever said I 'want' to trade Beaulieu.

Prospects like players can be seen simply as an asset and if right forward was offered for Sergachev, do it.

I think Sergachev has better offensive upside than Chychrun or Juolevi. Also think that there is a good chance that all 3 get taken before the #9 spot. Toronto, Edmonton, Columbus, Buffalo, Vancouver, Calgary and Arizona all chose before the Canadiens so far. All of them have very little in the way of high end defense prospects. Most of them have a lot of young talent up front. Winnipeg might be the only team chosing ahead of the Canadiens that would want a forward more than a defenseman. Columbus might go either way as well.

Chychrun has all along been #1 ranked d-man, with the Finn, Sergachev and Bean as next best.

But MacKenzie has it Juolevi, Sergachev, Chychrun at 7-8-9 now...so flip a coin who goes where.

We should get someone good, last time Timmins drafted in this vicinity he got McDonagh. Problem is that this player probably won't make an impact with us before our core is on the wrong side of 30.

OK, prospect experts - who are we gonna get with this 9th pick? How likely are we to get a stud?

Tyson Jost and 57%.

OK, prospect experts - who are we gonna get with this 9th pick? How likely are we to get a stud?

As i said in the lottery thread.... teams 4-8 all have a greater need for Defence than forward in their prospect pools. Some like Edmonton and Buffalo are desperate for that D pick. Others like Vancouver and Arizona would strongly prefer the D. The Flames? they could really go either, but may have a slightly bigger need on the blueline.

We need at least 1 and preferably 2 of those teams to take Dmen (or go off the board like Craig Button predicts for VAncouver and take Logan Brown, i'd be fine with that too).

Every defenceman that gets picked in those spots means we have one of Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander, Jost or Keller fall to us. Every defenceman that is not picked means one more of Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi is in our range.

www.Lastwordonsports.com/2016-nhl-entry-draft-headquarters

As i said in the lottery thread.... teams 4-8 all have a greater need for Defence than forward in their prospect pools. Some like Edmonton and Buffalo are desperate for that D pick. Others like Vancouver and Arizona would strongly prefer the D. The Flames? they could really go either, but may have a slightly bigger need on the blueline.

We need at least 1 and preferably 2 of those teams to take Dmen (or go off the board like Craig Button predicts for VAncouver and take Logan Brown, i'd be fine with that too).

Every defenceman that gets picked in those spots means we have one of Tkachuk, Dubois, Nylander, Jost or Keller fall to us. Every defenceman that is not picked means one more of Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi is in our range.

To invert C-3P0's catchphrase, "I have a good feeling about this..."

We should get someone good, last time Timmins drafted in this vicinity he got McDonagh. Problem is that this player probably won't make an impact with us before our core is on the wrong side of 30.

I thought I'd look at guys who played in the past three years around our pick.

2015: Mikko Rantenen, 9 games with Colorado (10th overall)

2014: William Nylanders, 22 games with Toronto (8th overall), Nikolaj Ehlers, 72 games with Winnipeg (9th overall), Nick Ritchie, 33 games with Anaheim (10th overall), Kevin Fiala, 6 games with Nashville (11th overall)

2013: Rasmus Ristolainen, 194 games with Buffalo (8th overall), Bo Horvat, 150 games with Vancouver (9th overall), Valeri Nishushkin, 166 games with Dallas (10th overall), Max Domi, 81 games with Arizona (12th overall), Alexander Wennberg, 137 games with Columbus (14th overall)

Out of those guys I'd say Ristolainen and Domi have made the biggest impacts at 20/21. So that's two years from now our pick could be an impact player at 9th overall. Some other examples of guys who made an impact fast near the 9th overall pick were Filip Forsberg (11th overall, 2012), Cam Fowler (12th overall, 2010) and Anze Kopitar (11th overall, 2005)

So unless a swing for the fences guy like Jost is ready quick, we're waiting at least two years.

I thought I'd look at guys who played in the past three years around our pick.

2015: Mikko Rantenen, 9 games with Colorado (10th overall)

2014: William Nylanders, 22 games with Toronto (8th overall), Nikolaj Ehlers, 72 games with Winnipeg (9th overall), Nick Ritchie, 33 games with Anaheim (10th overall), Kevin Fiala, 6 games with Nashville (11th overall)

2013: Rasmus Ristolainen, 194 games with Buffalo (8th overall), Bo Horvat, 150 games with Vancouver (9th overall), Valeri Nishushkin, 166 games with Dallas (10th overall), Max Domi, 81 games with Arizona (12th overall), Alexander Wennberg, 137 games with Columbus (14th overall)

Out of those guys I'd say Ristolainen and Domi have made the biggest impacts at 20/21. So that's two years from now our pick could be an impact player at 9th overall. Some other examples of guys who made an impact fast near the 9th overall pick were Filip Forsberg (11th overall, 2012), Cam Fowler (12th overall, 2010) and Anze Kopitar (11th overall, 2005)

So unless a swing for the fences guy like Jost is ready quick, we're waiting at least two years.

Yes, is pretty standard timeline and for d-men it can be even longer.

HOWEVER, the last Hab 1st round forward pick (2007 pick#22) who played in NCAA, spent only one season before turning pro. So if Jost lights it up at North Dakota, he may be in NHL as early as 2017-18.

Yes, is pretty standard timeline and for d-men it can be even longer.

HOWEVER, the last Hab 1st round forward pick (2007 pick#22) who played in NCAA, spent only one season before turning pro. So if Jost lights it up at North Dakota, he may be in NHL as early as 2017-18.

I think we need some help a little sooner than that. Trade the pick.

I think we need some help a little sooner than that. Trade the pick.

They might...but about same chance of that happening as landing Stamkos.

Draft of a 17 or 18 year old isn't the normal way to try to address and fix a current roster.

But, we have seen Rangers trade their last 4 or 5 1st round picks and how has that turned out? Got close to a cup, but now are bloated with overpaid vets and thin prospect pool.

Leafs were also famous for trading picks for roster fix-ups also, so maybe not the best way to go?

Guest Stogey24

Rangers traded alot of their picks at the deadline for rentals. We'd be trading for a long term fix.

They might...but about same chance of that happening as landing Stamkos.

Draft of a 17 or 18 year old isn't the normal way to try to address and fix a current roster.

But, we have seen Rangers trade their last 4 or 5 1st round picks and how has that turned out? Got close to a cup, but now are bloated with overpaid vets and thin prospect pool.

Leafs were also famous for trading picks for roster fix-ups also, so maybe not the best way to go?

I didn't say trade all the picks i said trade this one cause it should be a decent return if we add someone else to the mix, like Emelin, DD Eller. I know I know you get nothing for garbage.

Are you suggesting that teams (Montreal in particular) draft for need and not BPA? I think we are making progress.