Who we gonna Draft?

habs rule

Or they simply see Matthews as Yakapov 2.0 and likely be a solid player but not a big deal (like McDavid or even Eichel) and maybe him being almost year older also a factor?

See on April 30th if we should really care or not who goes in top 3.

I see Nylander is up as one of a bunch of players for OHL player of year.

Chychrun & Sergachev up for OHL d-man of year.

(which Nylander brother is better?)

You said he plays 'like' Pat Kane eh and think he is 8th best in draft.

Just seems that hardly ever do 2 brothers both excel in NHL and William seems to be doing well at end of year for Leafs and likely to become a solid player.

Just seems that hardly ever do 2 brothers both excel in NHL and William seems to be doing well at end of year for Leafs and likely to become a solid player.

I said very specifically that his game is stylistically similar to Patrick Kane, but that wasn't a comparison based on talent.

My comparisons are always about style, and not about how good the player is/isn't.

So the Richards weren't successful? The Swedes 1 and 2 and how about them Sutters? I could probably think of more but that what leaped into my mind.

Yes Commandant, I wasn't trying to say you anointed him as the was the next Kane, but "plays like" him.

HR... Richards' were only what..60+years ago and Henri was an OK player on stacked teams, so bad example (try Espositos if going old school). I think many would say

Sedins are quite unique. Sutters were a family of grinders/leaders (one may of stood out but so long ago I cant remember, maybe Duane was a stand out?)

So the Richards weren't successful? The Swedes 1 and 2 and how about them Sutters? I could probably think of more but that what leaped into my mind.

Other families

Staal

Stastny

Koivu

Hull

Mahovlich

Esposito

Niedermayer

Benn

Howe

Valeri Bure was a good player, not as good as his brother but still good.

Reinhart

Broten

Hunter

Courtnall

Gionta

Dineen

Dryden

Kaberle

Foligno

there are more too.

Good one Command. Anyway I have us drafting tenth (our luck has to run out) with the possibility of Gauthier, McLeod, Brown and Juolevi still on the table. Pretty good choices if you ask me. The answer to a previous question would be Brent Sutter who was i believe a point per game guy for a while, that would be with those high powered Islanders.

Other families

Staal

Stastny

Koivu

Hull

Mahovlich

Esposito

Niedermayer

Benn

Howe

Valeri Bure was a good player, not as good as his brother but still good.

Reinhart

Broten

Hunter

Courtnall

Gionta

Dineen

Dryden

Kaberle

Foligno

there are more too.

You forgot the highest scoring brothers of all time. Keith Gretzky and his brother

Of the 3 Stastny's one was very good the other two made the NHL, Dryden again one was good other was not, DIneen? one was OK no one can remember was another.

Valerie Bure was OK, but again was like Hossa, nothing like his brother.

Again, all support one brother exceling and other not so much.

Not sure why you simply listed all the brothers that actually made the NHL...bored maybe?

Of the 3 Stastny's one was very good the other two made the NHL, Dryden again one was good other was not, DIneen? one was OK no one can remember was another.

Valerie Bure was OK, but again was like Hossa, nothing like his brother.

Again, all support one brother exceling and other not so much.

Not sure why you simply listed all the brothers that actually made the NHL...bored maybe?

In every duo of players rarely are two "equal".... whether that is Kane and Toews, Perry and Getzlaf, Datsyuk and Zetterberg, Subban and Markov, it doesn't matter. One player is better than the other. So I don't know why it would be different with brothers. Obviously one brother is better.

That doesn't change the fact that Valerie Bure was a decent NHLer, so was Gord Dineen, so are Marc Staal and Jordan Staal, Frantisek Kaberle, the Sutters, Marcus Foligno, Russ Courtnall, Pete Mahovolich, Rob Niedermayer, and on and on down the list. Even if less successful of the two brothers, they are still good NHLers.

I don't know what revelation you had that when there are two brothers one will be better than the other.

But none of that should matter. Who cares if Alex Nylander is or isn't better than William? The question is if Alex Nylander is a better prospect than other players available at the pick, not if he's better than his brother.

Guest Stogey24

That might one of the stupidest things i've heard. Not drafting a player because his brother is playing well in the Nhl. How does that make any sense at all?

Guest Stogey24

What if the first brother drafted is the "bust" do we jump on the band wagon and draft the 2nd cause he just has to be good? Kinda silly no?

Mads Eller?

As for options with pick.

Seems trading picks to move up within top ten of draft just dosent happen (recently anyways). Last highest pick for picks deal was 12th pick traded for #16-77 &181st in 2009.

But seems almost every year a 'relatively' high 1st rounder gets dealt as part of package for a roster player;

2011 8th+stuff for Jeff Carter

2012 8th+stuff for Jordan Staal

2013 9th for Schneider

2015 13th+stuff for Lucic

So Habs may do similar and ship #9+stuff for an Oiler roster forward, if don't simply use it (which is most likely of course)?

Tyson Jost leading U18 in scoring early on, 2gms 6pts

Dante Fabbro 2gm 5pts

Clayton Keller (USA) 2gms 5pts

Mike McCarron II (Logan Brown-USA) 2gms 4pts

As for options with pick.

Seems trading picks to move up within top ten of draft just dosent happen (recently anyways). Last highest pick for picks deal was 12th pick traded for #16-77 &181st in 2009.

But seems almost every year a 'relatively' high 1st rounder gets dealt as part of package for a roster player;

2011 8th+stuff for Jeff Carter

2012 8th+stuff for Jordan Staal

2013 9th for Schneider

2015 13th+stuff for Lucic

So Habs may do similar and ship #9+stuff for an Oiler roster forward, if don't simply use it (which is most likely of course)?

It's a tempting scenario - get a talented young player back for the "pick + stuff." But what's less clear to me is why the Oilers would do it. They're not just looking to get rid of their young FWs, after all; they want to turn those guys into assets that will make them a better team, preferably sooner rather than later. No?