Who we gonna Draft?

habs rule

We certainly find ourselves with a lot of free time and inclination to discuss personnel this year..... :ph34r:

well ya know my friend we are waiting for next year, it is the sad time. Counting something on the wall (paper) love Willy.

well ya know my friend we are waiting for next year, it is the sad time. Counting something on the wall (paper) love Willy.

Playin' solitaire 'til dawn, with a deck of 51

smokin' cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Now don't tell me I've nothing to do

Its not just pleks value i'm looking at, its also the value of that top 10 pick.

Here is what I'm looking at....

1) a 55-60 point forward who gives added value of playing against the other team's top lines. He's older, but still just 33, so he's got some value, but ok I'm discounting a bit.

2) Here is the value though... a top 10 pick, who might not make the team next year, but I expect to be on the team in 2017-18 or at the latest 2018-19. This pick should be an impact player considering that he's gonna be top 10, and he's going to be a cheap source of production for at least three years on an ELC.

So I'm throwing in a hell of a piece with Plek, a hell of a good piece. That tells me it has to be a serious upgrade on the 55-60 point guy with good defence that Plek is. And if you are talking SERIOUS upgrade on Pleks, that means best forward on our team. Like I'm looking for a 75-80 point guy, or there is no value in giving up the 55-60 point guy + a draft pick of that value.

I was not done when I threw Plek + top 10 overall pick. Honestly, what I've wanted for quite a long time now, is a legitimate high end 1st line RW. Better than Gallagher in every way.

I'm thinking : Perry, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Kucherov, Stone, Kessel, Simmonds, Voracek.

Of course, some (all) of them are probably untouchables in their respective teams.

And yes, I'd still give a good shot for Jordan Eberle.

Now, in the past, I've already said that I'd like to go after Oshie but WAS did it before us.

The ones I don't consider better than Gally, like Okposo who might be UFA this offseason, Hudler, Hornqvist, even Palmieri, would all be great addition and might come a lot cheaper, but I'd still focus on trying to get my hands on a 1st line RW.

If it means slightly overpaying, then let's overpay Messieurs. Fucale, McCarron, Juulsen, 2017 1st pick, I don't mind at all.

Time to make a move while Price-Subb-Pax-Galchenyuk are still there.

Jost is ripping it up at the U18. I'd move him up to #9 if I had to re-rank it now.

Yes, he had 2a yesterday and now both he and Nylander tied with 8pts in 3gms.

Guest Stogey24

I was not done when I threw Plek + top 10 overall pick. Honestly, what I've wanted for quite a long time now, is a legitimate high end 1st line RW. Better than Gallagher in every way.I'm thinking : Perry, Tarasenko, Wheeler, Kucherov, Stone, Kessel, Simmonds, Voracek.Of course, some (all) of them are probably untouchables in their respective teams.And yes, I'd still give a good shot for Jordan Eberle.Now, in the past, I've already said that I'd like to go after Oshie but WAS did it before us.The ones I don't consider better than Gally, like Okposo who might be UFA this offseason, Hudler, Hornqvist, even Palmieri, would all be great addition and might come a lot cheaper, but I'd still focus on trying to get my hands on a 1st line RW.If it means slightly overpaying, then let's overpay Messieurs. Fucale, McCarron, Juulsen, 2017 1st pick, I don't mind at all.Time to make a move while Price-Subb-Pax-Galchenyuk are still there.

Stamkos should be the number one player on Bergevin's radar right now. We'll have almost 10mill in cap space(if the cap goes up), with the possibility of moving out a couple more contracts.

Signing Stamkos immediately makes this team a high end cup contender.

Price,Subban,Stamkos,Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher...Is there a better core than that in then Nhl? I'll keep dreaming, but Bergevin should have a bit of tunnel vision on Stamkos.

I don't give a lot of consideration to U18 tournament.

When these guys will play NHL, they will face older player on an everyday basis.

World Juniors is a much more accurate tournament when it comes down to evaluate these players.

Unless your only goal is to observe where they stand strictly against same age players...

Stamkos should be the number one player on Bergevin's radar right now. We'll have almost 10mill in cap space(if the cap goes up), with the possibility of moving out a couple more contracts.

Price,Subban,Stamkos,Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher...Is there a better core than that in then Nhl? I'll keep dreaming, but Bergevin should have a bit of tunnel vision on Stamkos.

Of Course, but it doesn't solve our RW situation... Unless Plek can play RW...

A lot of commentators have remarked that Stamkos's blood clots make his contract uninsurable. This could mean that the competition to sign him will be less than it otherwise would be - assuming, that is, that Molson is willing to risk millions and millions of his own money. It's a tantalizing scenario.

If I have to include the 9th overall pick, yup

Well, we need an impact FW, and if all it took to get Taylor Hall was Plek's sorry ass and a 9th overall pick, I'm all in...

When these guys will play NHL, they will face older player on an everyday basis.

World Juniors is a much more accurate tournament when it comes down to evaluate these players.

Unless your only goal is to observe where they stand strictly against same age players...

More accurate? What does that mean.

The draft is 17-18yr olds, who else would you evaluate them against?

This is draft thread, not trade Plekanec one, isn't it.

Very few draft eligible players make the WJC before they are draft... we are talking 1 player on team Canada, 2 players on Team USA, 3 players on Finland.... thats about it for players projected in the first round.

So yes, the U18 is a big deal for scouts, and every single team in the NHL sends multiple representatives every year.

Now one tournament isn't the be all and end all, but Jost has done it all season. The only question was the fact he was playing BCHL (to maintain NCAA eligibility he didn't go to the WHL), and his level of competition was considered weak. But now he's playing against high level competition (and on a team with other high draft picks) and he's dominant. Clear best player on the ice all three games.

Guest Stogey24

I've been reading alot about McLeod. He took a huge jump stats wise from last year to this year. Has the size and speed too.

I've been reading alot about McLeod. He took a huge jump stats wise from last year to this year. Has the size and speed too.

Most 16 year old rookies to 17 year old second years in the CHL show those type of stat jumps (at least if they are legit prospects)

Jost is greatly outshining him so far at the u18

I'd still have McLeod in the top 12, but Jost has passed him imo.

Many good players still playing in their respective playoffs.

U18 tournament is not such a big deal no.

Usefull to evaluate just that : how U18 play against U18.

Not more, not less.

Edmonton sportswriters have been on the radio saying that Oilers mgmt team has concluded it needs to make major change in the core of the young leadership group - Eberle, Hall and RNH. They said the least likely to go is RNH because of his stronger two way play and that Hall's attitude and lack of maturity and inability to show leadership makes him the most likely to get moved for a top pairing dman. The Calgary radio guys doing the interview also said that Hall needs to go so this can truly be McDavid's team. Th Edmonton writer also brought up Hall's tweet to McDavid when the oilers won the draft lottery as an indication of his lack of maturity and leadership.

They all seemed pretty convinced that Hall is the one most likely to get traded for a number 1 dman.

Fuel for the subban may be traded fire?

Very few draft eligible players make the WJC before they are draft... we are talking 1 player on team Canada, 2 players on Team USA, 3 players on Finland.... thats about it for players projected in the first round.

So yes, the U18 is a big deal for scouts, and every single team in the NHL sends multiple representatives every year.

Now one tournament isn't the be all and end all, but Jost has done it all season. The only question was the fact he was playing BCHL (to maintain NCAA eligibility he didn't go to the WHL), and his level of competition was considered weak. But now he's playing against high level competition (and on a team with other high draft picks) and he's dominant. Clear best player on the ice all three games.

Edmonton sportswriters have been on the radio saying that Oilers mgmt team has concluded it needs to make major change in the core of the young leadership group - Eberle, Hall and RNH. They said the least likely to go is RNH because of his stronger two way play and that Hall's attitude and lack of maturity and inability to show leadership makes him the most likely to get moved for a top pairing dman. The Calgary radio guys doing the interview also said that Hall needs to go so this can truly be McDavid's team. Th Edmonton writer also brought up Hall's tweet to McDavid when the oilers won the draft lottery as an indication of his lack of maturity and leadership.

They all seemed pretty convinced that Hall is the one most likely to get traded for a number 1 dman.

Better not be. Subban for Hall would be appalling.

It figures that EDM wants a top-pairing D-man for Hall. That's what I'd do in their shoes. But it rules us out of any trade package - or ought to.

Agreed. But after this year, I just don't have much faith in our Mgmt team. This summer is really a big show me year for me.

Better not be. Subban for Hall would be appalling.

It figures that EDM wants a top-pairing D-man for Hall. That's what I'd do in their shoes. But it rules us out of any trade package - or ought to.

Agreed. But after this year, I just don't have much faith in our Mgmt team. This summer is really a big show me year for me.

I neither have faith nor lack it; I feel it's premature to draw conclusions one way or the other. But I'm completely with you that this year is KEY. Bergevin has to add significant talent to this roster, or else get ridden out of town on a rail.

Trade Subban for Hall? What forking drug addled mind came up with that? Subban for Yak and Hall and their next five 1st round picks. That is a deal I could see making. In other words he is basically and untouchable.