Oct. 6, Toronto vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

I can't see coach Mike having Sergachev a regular in the lineup, you know how he loves his veteran D. I think Beaulieu is going to have a great season, but even though he has a few years in, Mike will still treat him young...

I want Sergachev to be ready like most, but just can't believe Therrien will keep him up, he is going to benefit greatly by playing junior this year, at 18, there is no rush imho.

13 hours ago, illWill said:

Hungover scouting report from the game: #ChezParee

* Weber, wow. Makes all the little plays and is always in the right position. Crowd loved him

*Segachev needs more time. 

*Somebody farted in row 67 and Desharnais fell over. My 4 year old kid could knock him off the puck 

*Thank God we have Carey Price

*Lekonen is the real deal

I know it was only the Leafs but man the Habs looked good. They definitely seemed like they were all on the same page. My head hurts too much to write anymore 

Was this your yearly trip or are you going back during the season as well? 

7 hours ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Was this your yearly trip or are you going back during the season as well? 

A 22 hour round trip drive sucks so once is good but I'd go up if they go on a deep run in the playoffs for sure. Went this time cause the wife wanted to see a Drake concert the next night so it was good timing to go. And I figured it would basically be the opening lineup anyway and a chance to see the new guys

51 minutes ago, illWill said:

A 22 hour round trip drive sucks so once is good but I'd go up if they go on a deep run in the playoffs for sure. Went this time cause the wife wanted to see a Drake concert the next night so it was good timing to go. And I figured it would basically be the opening lineup anyway and a chance to see the new guys

That sounded like a fun trip man. I still have not figured out a date to hit the bell center, I'm thinking sometime in November.

1 hour ago, Scott462 said:

That sounded like a fun trip man. I still have not figured out a date to hit the bell center, I'm thinking sometime in November.

I would shoot for the Thursday March 2nd game.

(1 day after Joe Thorton gets traded to Habs)

14 hours ago, KoRP said:

I can't see coach Mike having Sergachev a regular in the lineup, you know how he loves his veteran D. I think Beaulieu is going to have a great season, but even though he has a few years in, Mike will still treat him young...

I want Sergachev to be ready like most, but just can't believe Therrien will keep him up, he is going to benefit greatly by playing junior this year, at 18, there is no rush imho.

I'm personally of the belief that the organization wants Sergachev to have every chance to succeed as early as possible to make people forget about Subban. I got no proof of it. Just my hunch. Bergevin packed the organization with third line defencemen only to try and play Sergachev as an 18 year old. Just doesn't pass the smell test to me for this organization's previous moves. Therrien is already spinning him as having his best games when he's clearly having issues, the kind of ignorance he usually leaves for David Desharnais. I'll wear the tinfoil for this one happily.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I'm personally of the belief that the organization wants Sergachev to have every chance to succeed as early as possible to make people forget about Subban. I got no proof of it. Just my hunch. Bergevin packed the organization with third line defencemen only to try and play Sergachev as an 18 year old. Just doesn't pass the smell test to me for this organization's previous moves. Therrien is already spinning him as having his best games when he's clearly having issues, the kind of ignorance he usually leaves for David Desharnais. I'll wear the tinfoil for this one happily.

I hope you're wrong; PR is a terrible basis for making decisions about player development. Given that the bizarre decision to trade Subban is probably explicable in part due to non-hockey factors, there are grounds to wonder.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hope you're wrong; PR is a terrible basis for making decisions about player development. Given that the bizarre decision to trade Subban is probably explicable in part due to non-hockey factors, there are grounds to wonder.

The thing is, how much more can Sergachev learn in Junior?  Every scout, GM and hockey analyst has said that he has the skills to be in the NHL now, so I don't think MTL keeping him up to start the year is off-base by any stretch.  I mean, he could be sent down after 9 games... we just don't know yet. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"Bizarre" to you perhaps, not to most of course; but, keep-on cynically wondering out loud, is always good for a chuckle or two. :scared:

1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

The thing is, how much more can Sergachev learn in Junior?  Every scout, GM and hockey analyst has said that he has the skills to be in the NHL now, so I don't think MTL keeping him up to start the year is off-base by any stretch.  I mean, he could be sent down after 9 games... we just don't know yet. 

"Project" he has the skill.

His defensive IQ isn't there yet. It wasn't there yet in the OHL either. He's close but his play in exhibition has not been at the level you want an 18-year-old in the NHL to be.

5 minutes ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

"Project" he has the skill.

His defensive IQ isn't there yet. It wasn't there yet in the OHL either. He's close but his play in exhibition has not been at the level you want an 18-year-old in the NHL to be.

At the end of the day, he'll probably only stay up for the 9 games or less as many have stated. Petry got injured and although it's not a longterm injury, I'd have to assume it played a role in the decision making process. I haven't witnessed much of preseason action but I still expect him to go down prior to the 9 game mark based on what I've read.

If that's the case, it seems like a reasonable and quite normal part of the process. Allow Sergachev to get some real NHL regular season game action in order to see first hand what he has to work on once he is sent down. 

1 hour ago, JGC21 said:

Defensively... he can learn a lot in the ohl.

His instincts and angles on small ice and reading the play on small ice need more work.

35 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Defensively... he can learn a lot in the ohl.

His instincts and angles on small ice and reading the play on small ice need more work.

I would like to see how he does in the reg season, if he is good enough, keep him. If not send him down.

4 hours ago, JGC21 said:

My sentiments as well, who is to say this kid won't develop at an elevated speed getting some NHL games under his belt? He could very well make a quantum leap forward with his development adjusting his play to the speed and necessities of the NHL after 9 games than he ever could dominating the OHL again, and that is exactly what he did btw, dominated.

Do I think he is an NHLer at the moment? no, I think he is very close, so I'm not really shocked that he is getting the 9 game look. He is physically able to be in the NHL, and that is first and foremost for an 18 year old, secondly he has NHL talent, all he is missing is the fine tuned details to help him be consistent shift after shift. I don't think it is crazy for them to suggest he may actually learn these adjustments quickly while playing at the highest level.

3 hours ago, AshleynSteve Almeida said:

My sentiments as well, who is to say this kid won't develop at an elevated speed getting some NHL games under his belt? He could very well make a quantum leap forward with his development adjusting his play to the speed and necessities of the NHL after 9 games than he ever could dominating the OHL again, and that is exactly what he did btw, dominated.

I mean, sure, he could do that (also, your definition of dominate and mine must be different), and then Montreal could also have eight forwards score 30 goals, and Price could have a save percentage of under 1, and Michel Therrien could understand modern forechecking, and people could figure out what Scott Mellanby does, and...

9 hours ago, DON said:

I would shoot for the Thursday March 2nd game.

(1 day after Joe Thorton gets traded to Habs)

Lol

I thought I read somewhere that Joe hates it in Montreal. Besides we have Chucky now. ?

11 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I mean, sure, he could do that (also, your definition of dominate and mine must be different), and then Montreal could also have eight forwards score 30 goals, and Price could have a save percentage of under 1, and Michel Therrien could understand modern forechecking, and people could figure out what Scott Mellanby does, and...

Laughed so hard I spit coffee all over my monitor! :lol:

16 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

so true sad but true