Oct. 6, Toronto vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Sergachev NEEDS to learn defense in junior. He's gonna get eaten alive in the NHL.

Getting him 9 games in the NHL isn't worth risking anyone else to waivers.

Sergachev didn't even look bad in his own end. Only questionable play was a 1 on 1 against Mathews. 

And Barberio got himself put on waivers. He looked like shit in every pre season game. There's a reason he cleared. 

10 hours ago, Habs owned the 70's said:

I think there's chemistry with Radulov and Chucky.  Get the blender out Therrien!

All coaches do, just gotta wait till reg season when got to play a real opponent.

Nate was +4 yesterday and had 8pts in pre-season and nice to see Radulov get 5pts in his 3 gms. 

Sergachev 8pims in his 4gms. 

9 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Sergachev didn't even look bad in his own end. Only questionable play was a 1 on 1 against Mathews.

There were more bad plays than that.  He is absolutely lost in his own end right now and this is only the preseason.  He's only going to get exposed more against full NHL rosters.  He's going to be a very good defenceman before long but that's a year or two down the road, not yet.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There were more bad plays than that.  He is absolutely lost in his own end right now and this is only the preseason.  He's only going to get exposed more against full NHL rosters.  He's going to be a very good defenceman before long but that's a year or two down the road, not yet.

Watched game twice and still don't see the horrible "lost" plays that you and Commandant are referring to? I thought he has done fine, sure a bit lost or weak in own end but too be expected when still 1/2 step or second behind in pre-season. But not as bad as you guys are painting.

Should he be sent to Windsor, 100% yes, but would likely do fine in sheltered minutes on 3rd pair (which of course isn't ideal but).

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Watched game twice and still don't see the horrible "lost" plays that you and Commandant are referring to? I thought he has done fine, sure a bit lost or weak in own end but too be expected when still 1/2 step or second behind in pre-season. But not as bad as you guys are painting.

Should he be sent to Windsor, 100% yes, but would likely do fine in sheltered minutes on 3rd pair (which of course isn't ideal but).

Watch his reaction time in the defensive zone.  He's unsure where to be so he hesitates which can very easily be exploited.  You can't shelter that, especially when Emelin or Pateryn (or Redmond, I suppose) would be his playing partners and they're exactly the most reliable of players either.

When the puck is on his stick, good things happen.  He's strong in the transition game, skates well, and seems to have a good idea of when and when not to pinch (which is actually pretty impressive for a young D).  Those are all strong elements to his game that are near NHL quality.  But I've yet to see anything from him that suggests he won't be a defensive liability when the season starts.  (Granted, I've been stuck with the RDS game in an hour for a lot of them so I can't say I've seen every shift, just to be fair.)  The most important part of defence is playing defence and he doesn't look very good at it in the preseason.  If he can't play the most important part of his position, he shouldn't be out there when the real games get underway.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Therrien said after the game that he thought it was Sergachev's best performance thus far:

“I thought he was solid on the right side (with Alexei Emelin on the left),” Therrien said. “He used to play on the right side last year (with the junior Windsor Spitfires). Most of the season he played on the right side. We spent some time trying to teach him how we want him to be aggressive and I thought tonight that was his best game. He wanted the puck, he played with confidence. He’s got poise. He had a really good game.”

Hungover scouting report from the game: #ChezParee

* Weber, wow. Makes all the little plays and is always in the right position. Crowd loved him

*Segachev needs more time. 

*Somebody farted in row 67 and Desharnais fell over. My 4 year old kid could knock him off the puck 

*Thank God we have Carey Price

*Lekonen is the real deal

I know it was only the Leafs but man the Habs looked good. They definitely seemed like they were all on the same page. My head hurts too much to write anymore 

Just now, JGC21 said:

Therrien said after the game that he thought it was Sergachev's best performance thus far.

I saw that this morning.  Even if it was, generally speaking, you can still have your best game and still not do that well in the grand scheme of things if all of the previous performances weren't that good either.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I saw that this morning.  Even if it was, generally speaking, you can still have your best game and still not do that well in the grand scheme of things if all of the previous performances weren't that good either.

True.  I'm not sure if he should make the team but if Petry can't go, perhaps he does a stint (under 10 games) until Petry comes back?

1 minute ago, JGC21 said:

True.  I'm not sure if he should make the team but if Petry can't go, perhaps he does a stint (under 10 games) until Petry comes back?

I'd imagine that would be the case if it's short-term for Petry.  I don't think they'd bring Barberio back up that fast.

Great game last night. I thought the habs moved the puck really well and our boys were skating fast. Even though I think Sergachev is close to the NHL, i think one more seaons in the OHL (with a good team) will help him in the long run. Let him dominate in the OHL for one more year.

I like what I saw from Lehkonon, Weber and Radulov. Especially Radulov. I was impressed at how hard he was working along the boards. He was in it all game.

Nice to see Chucky score a beautiful goal. Hopefully, he'll score 35 this year! and lastly, how can I not talk about Carey. The MVP is BACK!!! enough said!

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

We must have been watching different games. Absolutely lost in his own end? Come on now

6 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

We must have been watching different games. Absolutely lost in his own end? Come on now

Admittedly I was watching with a critical eye but yes, I would qualify his in-zone play as far from being NHL calibre at the moment.  He's tentative and unsure of where to go and has struggled in 1-on-1 battles.  All of those are signs that he's far from comfortable in the defensive zone.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

He'll need time in Jr, there's no doubt about it. I agree with Don though. I think he could play sheltered third pair minutes with this team. Do I think that's a good idea for his development, no; but I don't think he's been as awful as a couple of you are saying. 

Guest Stogey24
3 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

On one play, I noticed Sergachev below the red line in the offensive zone with the puck on a Leaf's stick. 

Ya, I saw that . Beaulieu use to pinch like that too. That's junior hockey right there. 

43 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Admittedly I was watching with a critical eye but yes, I would qualify his in-zone play as far from being NHL calibre at the moment.  He's tentative and unsure of where to go and has struggled in 1-on-1 battles.  All of those are signs that he's far from comfortable in the defensive zone.

Its clear he's got a lot to learn.  Apparently you and I watched the same game. 

What's the need to rush the kid? Is our D some kind of Swiss cheese where we need to plug guys into holes? Are we the Vancouver Canucks of last season, throwing guys into spots and desperately hoping they could cope? If not, then let him go back to junior and learn to dominate. Develop him properly, in other words.

• Upvote 1

On 06/10/2016 at 1:29 PM, dlbalr said:

If Sergachev makes the team, that's where he'd fit in though so they may as well play him with his likely partner to start the season.  He's nowhere close to being a top four guy.  The fact that both could speak Russian on the ice could also prove helpful for Sergachev.

He has been speaking English in Windsor just fine. Talking to a mute Russian won't help him at all. 

Guest Stogey24

All I'm saying is you don't see Sergachev throwing the puck up the centre of the ice or or pinching and getting caught up. 

Yes, he needs to work on his defensive play, but he's been far from terrible. Some more intensity in his own end will probably go a long ways. 

His poise with the puck is beyond his years as is his size. You guys know far more than me, but I don't think he's from off from an NHLer. 

Good luck by the way Lovette. Looks like she's getting pretty nasty in Florida 

Edited by Stogey24

I agree with Brian, Sergachev looks great when he's got the puck, but I thought he looked very uncomfortable, hesitant and timid defending in his own end.  I don't think it'd hurt to have a few NHL practices with the big club, but I'm all for sending him back to the minors this season.  As much as I want him to be NHL-ready, I just don't think he is.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Ya, I saw that . Beaulieu use to pinch like that too. That's junior hockey right there. 

You can tell right away he has a ton of talent, even if he regresses to pond hockey. Imo, this happens to players that have talent/size that greatly exceed their peers. They can rely more heavily on athleticism than smarts. His skating reminds me if Victor Hedman. He's deceptively fast and really hard to stop when he has a full head of steam.

3 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

His poise with the puck is beyond his years as is his size. You guys know far more than me, but I don't think he's from off from an NHLer.

I don't disagree, he's not far away.  With one more strong junior season where he really works on his in-zone play, I could see him pushing for a full-time spot in 2017-18.  Taking that final step will be a whole lot harder if they try to keep him in the NHL this season.  It sounds like he'll start the season on the team but hopefully will be sent back before too long.