Home Opener - Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Montreal Canadiens | October 18th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

11 minutes ago, Dalhabs said:

I remember Condon working fine for using 2 or 3 times but after that Condon is less safe and starts to have holes in it/him...

I understand completely. :D

8 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Last year was an anomoly (wherein the entire team sucked). Desharnais is a consistent 45-55 point guy.

2011 - 22 points in 43 games

2012 - 60 points in 81 games

2013 - 28 points in 48 games

2014 - 53 points in 79 games

2015 - 48 points in 82 games

2016 - 29 points in 65 games

2017 in progress - 3 points in 3 games

Career: 243 points in 402 games, or 0.604 ppg -- or 50 points per 82 game season.

Solid points Jeff. 

31 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Where is is Sergachev 

Riding the pine.  He played all of 1:22 in the 3rd period (two 41 second shifts in the second half of the period).  8:30 for the game.

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Tough decision... Gotta think you ride the hot goalie, no? 

If Price is ready, he needs to play, even though Montoya has done well so far.  (Montoya also has typically struggled with a starting workload, that's why he's a backup now; he's probably due for a clunker.)

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I know it's Carey Price, but Montoya has helped the team get 5 out of 6 points so far... do you pull a winning goalie?

If its for Carey Price you do.. all other cases.. no. :B)

3 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I know it's Carey Price, but Montoya has helped the team get 5 out of 6 points so far... do you pull a winning goalie?

I think if Price is 100% you gotta go to him since they've been waiting so long to get him back in a regular season game. I doubt Price is quite there yet, so with Montoya playing so well it gives you the opportunity to give Price that extra rest. I'm sure if we were getting sub par goaltending there would be more urgency to get Price back.  

Great performance by Montoya tonight and he looked pretty happy to get the shutout. 

40 minutes ago, illWill said:

What a difference a solid back up makes. It will go a long way in the standings at the end of the season

He got 2 tap in goals from beauty passes, wouldn't bench him just yet

Can't get tap in goals if you don't get open in good areas of the ice. 

35 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Last year was an anomoly (wherein the entire team sucked). Desharnais is a consistent 45-55 point guy.

2011 - 22 points in 43 games

2012 - 60 points in 81 games

2013 - 28 points in 48 games

2014 - 53 points in 79 games

2015 - 48 points in 82 games

2016 - 29 points in 65 games

2017 in progress - 3 points in 3 games

Career: 243 points in 402 games, or 0.604 ppg -- or 50 points per 82 game season.

Most of those years are playing top 6 minutes.

He's a third liner now, so I don't expect 45-55 points.

If he gets 35 points on the third line, it will be a productive year and an important part of this team's offense. 

He got 48 points playing primarily 2nd and 3rd line minutes in 2015.

I actually agree with the announcer in today's game -- we won't see Desharnais' production drop on the third line. He'll be playing against less effective defenders, and he's got enough offensive talent to make the other team pay for that lack of attention. What we'll probably see is more goals, fewer assists, than he usually gets. DD has pretty good hands, but when you've got Pacioretty on the wing, at DD's talent level, the smart money is to pass to him. Now we'll see him shooting.

Not only that, but our third line now includes Andrew Shaw... who despite the penchant for goonery is a serious offensive threat.

He played primarily with Pacioretty and Gallagher in 2014-2015 when he scored 48.

I'd be pleasantly surprised with 45... Very pleasantly surprised.

I'm one of the few who really likes having DD playing those exploitation third line minutes, i just think 45 points is a high bar for any third line centre.  How many third liners got 45 points last year? More than a handful??

Bah, even Montreal's 4th line centre managed 19 goals, 25 assists back in 1993 -- but that's what happens when you have John LeClair playing on the 4th line.

(Why was LeClair the 4th line center? Muller had 94 points, Lebeau had 80 points, and Savard had 50 points.  Balanced attack, and somehow we had room for Carbonneau on the roster, too. What a year that was.)

29 minutes ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

He got 48 points playing primarily 2nd and 3rd line minutes in 2015.

I actually agree with the announcer in today's game -- we won't see Desharnais' production drop on the third line. He'll be playing against less effective defenders, and he's got enough offensive talent to make the other team pay for that lack of attention. What we'll probably see is more goals, fewer assists, than he usually gets. DD has pretty good hands, but when you've got Pacioretty on the wing, at DD's talent level, the smart money is to pass to him. Now we'll see him shooting.

Not only that, but our third line now includes Andrew Shaw... who despite the penchant for goonery is a serious offensive threat.

He's pretty offensive alright... :tumbleweed:  I like your points on DeeDee and sure hope it pans out. 

THis team has so much more smackitinthenetitude about it. 

1 minute ago, JGC21 said:

Great 4-0 win.  Radulov scoring was icing on the cake!

Ya.... I loved that . He looks gritty and great! I'm happy for him. I kinda like what looks like some really good upgrades . 

Go Habs! 

2 hours ago, Trizzak said:

Yes.

Condon looked good in first short stint as well and even is Carey was somehow demoted to #2 he would still play some...but that is just foolish, so of course Montoya will step aside as soon as Price is ready.

Montoya's save percentage was .946 going into last night's game....

I thought most Habs were better with sticks, and better in puck battles, as well as moving the puck up ice in a hurry as compared to last couple games.

This team may very well compete for tops in the East with Price healthy.

Might be the best 4 lines we have seen in a while in Habland!

Pateryn needs to replace Sergachev, and Sergachev needs to get back to Junior...

17:46 for Galchenyuk and 16:38 for Pacioretty, were highest of forwards and seems icetime was spread out well. But, even better was Markov at 20:18 which is right where he should be.

8:30 for Sergachev is not good and Pateryn would of helped take some more time from Weber who was 28+ again.

PP gets another goal and Davie Hockey was on-fire...:B)

What happened to Pacioretty, did he crap his pants or just a cramp of some sort?

AND who is leading the NHL in save%, Tony Al Montoya at .962

3 hours ago, DON said:

17:46 for Galchenyuk and 16:38 for Pacioretty, were highest of forwards and seems icetime was spread out well. But, even better was Markov at 20:18 which is right where he should be.

8:30 for Sergachev is not good and Pateryn would of helped take some more time from Weber who was 28+ again.

PP gets another goal and Davie Hockey was on-fire...:B)

What happened to Pacioretty, did he crap his pants or just a cramp of some sort?

AND who is leading the NHL in save%, Tony Al Montoya at .962

I was wondering the same about Pacioretty, and looking back its now hilarious to imagine he had just crapped his pants :rofl:

Small look of discomfort followed by awkward shuffling off the ice.. Too funny

3 hours ago, KoRP said:

Pateryn needs to replace Sergachev, and Sergachev needs to get back to Junior...

While I wholeheartedly agree, it appears someone in the organization doesn't as Sergachev was on the third pairing in practice again today while Pateryn/Redmond comprised the fourth (healthy scratch) duo.

Was noted Sergachev is likely to be in tomorrow. I agree he should be sent down, but really not a huge deal one way or the other, as long as he is in Windsor before game #10.

I would be pissed if I was Pateryn, but little more he can do about that but continue to be a good soldier and practice hard.