Weber Appreciation Thread

C-Love

2 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I'd appreciate if Weber laid a hit. 

Why, he should change his game simply to make you happy?  He has averaged 2hits/gm for years, never was an Emelin who has and is averaging 3/gm.

Guest Stogey24

He was  brought in to be mean and make his presence felt...  

Leadership can't be his cover up for everything. The guy has been mediocre at best the last 40 games. 

5 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Leadership can't be his cover up for everything. The guy has been mediocre at best the last 40 games. 

Yep. His formidable rep protects him from criticism, but facts are facts. Hearing quotes about how hard is to play against reminds me a bit of all the visiting players who would come to town and praise Denis Savard as 'the most exciting player in hockey.' :rolleyes:

Hopefully he is  just suffering the effects of the World Cup and will return from the bye week rejuvenated. What troubles me is that that most accounts from Nashville had him running out of gas (by his rarified standards) down the stretch and into the playoffs. The thought that we have to 'manage his minutes' is fairly nauseating.

Guest Stogey24
54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

No one could have predicted that. 

Oh wait, a bunch of people did. 

Have you been impressed at all by him?

6 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Have you been impressed at all by him?

It seems to have played out as I said in the trade thread at the time. 

He's still a very good defenceman, unfortunately he's a downgrade from Subban, not just today but in the future.  And there were worrying signs in Nashville that he's on the decline. 

I honestly don't see Weber's game as being that much different than it was at the beginning of the year. He's just not potting in as many goals as he was at the beginning of the year since other teams are naturally keying in on him more.

I don't know what to say. The second most goals in the league as a defenseman is not impressive? Sure, the team sucks right now, but why choose to key in on him? I don't know many teams in the league that would be able to have Emelin on a top pairing. 

It's clear that it's not Weber per se that people are disappointed with, it's rather comparing him to Subban and expecting him to be something he's not. I'm sure Subban will have better seasons in the future but stating that he's been better this season is laughable and shows an inability to be malleable in thought process. 

It's not like Weber is a team

best +13 while Subban is a team worst -9 or anything. I know, team stats. Well, I'm comparing them to the rest of their respective teammates.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

It seems to have played out as I said in the trade thread at the time. 

He's still a very good defenceman, unfortunately he's a downgrade from Subban, not just today but in the future.  And there were worrying signs in Nashville that he's on the decline. 

That ex-hab has fewer points (49th) than Weber (who many say has only been average and still is 10th in d points)...and fewer points than both Markov (in fewer games played) and Petry also (who combined make less $$ than that ex-hab, what value eh!).

So how in hell would of keeping that ex-hab have helped in any way whatsoever? Not even considering the off-ice and locker room issues that are all gone now.

(imagine that, zero teammate fights at practice this year...hmmm...it used to be Subban vs Plekanec, Subban vs Desharnais, Subban vs Gallagher, etc , there was always one particular player involved with several different teammates over the years, just coincidence of course).

Keep grasping at those straws Bud.

Edited by DON
add stuff

58 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

I honestly don't see Weber's game as being that much different than it was at the beginning of the year. He's just not potting in as many goals as he was at the beginning of the year since other teams are naturally keying in on him more.

I don't know what to say. The second most goals in the league as a defenseman is not impressive? Sure, the team sucks right now, but why choose to key in on him? I don't know many teams in the league that would be able to have Emelin on a top pairing. 

It's clear that it's not Weber per se that people are disappointed with, it's rather comparing him to Subban and expecting him to be something he's not. I'm sure Subban will have better seasons in the future but stating that he's been better this season is laughable and shows an inability to be malleable in thought process. 

It's not like Weber is a team

best +13 while Subban is a team worst -9 or anything. I know, team stats. Well, I'm comparing them to the rest of their respective teammates.

Weber's offensive production has been mediocre since December 1. No one is denying that his first quarter of the season was absolutely incredible. But just citing his numbers overlooks the point Stogey24 made about his last 40 games .  He has been a workhorse but hardly a top-level, impact NHL defenceman over that span.

As for Subban, his season had been compromised by injury. This is damned fortunate for those clinging to the Weber is God narrative.

Then there's the ever-popular 'intangibles' argument. As though the 2014 team did not have player after player praising the team chemistry, and as though Weber's team had not played well below potential for weeks now.

Like I say, we have to hope he comes out of the bye week rejuvenated. What worries me us that he will come back rested and strong and then start fading again. Hopefully not, but all the signs are there of a player who can no longer play massive minutes at a peak level for 82 games + playoffs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Weber's offensive production has been mediocre since December 1. No one is denying that his first quarter of the season was absolutely incredible. But just citing his numbers overlooks the point Stogey24 made about his last 40 games .  He has been a workhorse but hardly a top-level, impact NHL defenceman over that span.

As for Subban, his season had been compromised by injury. This is damned fortunate for those clinging to the Weber is God narrative.

Then there's the ever-popular 'intangibles' argument. As though the 2014 team did not have player after player praising the team chemistry, and as though Weber's team had not played well below potential for weeks now.

Like I say, we have to hope he comes out of the bye week rejuvenated. What worries me us that he will come back rested and strong and then start fading again. Hopefully not, but all the signs are there of a player who can no longer play massive minutes at a peak level for 82 games + playoffs.

Frankly, every player gets tired over an 82 game season. Why is is that young, talented prospects often come into the league with a fire under their belly for 10 games before finally coming back down to earth? First of all, because other teams start paying more attention to them and second of all because they get hit by the intense grind of an 82 game schedule.

It doesn't matter if one is 19 years of age or 35, it happens to the best of them. In 3 years, if we are going to look at Weber's stats, we are going to look at the grand totals he put up, not nit pick which months he did and did not do well. IF he does do well in the month of March but has a terrible January, then the hypothesis goes out the window. Even if he doesn't have a great March, there could be other reasons. 

I don't think Weber is a god but I do think he's been our best defenseman and one of our best players overall along with Pacioretty and Radulov.

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Frankly, every player gets tired over an 82 game season. Why is is that young, talented prospects often come into the league with a fire under their belly for 10 games before finally coming back down to earth? First of all, because other teams start paying more attention to them and second of all because they get hit by the intense grind of an 82 game schedule.

It doesn't matter if one is 19 years of age or 35, it happens to the best of them. In 3 years, if we are going to look at Weber's stats, we are going to look at the grand totals he put up, not nit pick which months he did and did not do well. IF he does do well in the month of March but has a terrible January, then the hypothesis goes out the window. Even if he doesn't have a great March, there could be other reasons. 

I don't think Weber is a god but I do think he's been our best defenseman and one of our best players overall along with Pacioretty and Radulov.

Good post man. Agree

Weber is not the problem.

11 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

10th in d-scoring and a ton of goals on the PP, you gotta admit he was also brought in to blast a bunch of goals as well as be a leader and physical presence and of course the non-corsi off-ice/lockerroom value.

And team is 31-19-8 and 8th overall, not bad also. And this time can almost say "in spite" of Prices play of past 2 months, team is sitting pretty good.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

10th in d-scoring and a ton of goals on the PP, you gotta admit he was also brought in to blast a bunch of goals as well as be a leader and physical presence and of course the non-corsi off-ice/lockerroom value.

And team is 31-19-8 and 8th overall, not bad also. And this time can almost say "in spite" of Prices play of past 2 months, team is sitting pretty good.

Weber has 4 PPG in his last 40 and is a minus 3. Or something along those lines. 

You say physical presence, where is that? 

The defense has been absolute garbage and the root of the reason this team just fired their coach and our star goalie has been looking like a house leaguer. 

That's not saying this is all on Weber, but Mediocrity from an apparent #1 isn't going to cut it. 

Same shit with Plekanec last year. Can argue until the cows come home. I just see glimpses of the future in Weber's game. 

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Weber has 4 PPG in his last 40 and is a minus 3. Or something along those lines. 

You say physical presence, where is that? 

The defense has been absolute garbage and the root of the reason this team just fired their coach and our star goalie has been looking like a house leaguer. 

That's not saying this is all on Weber, but Mediocrity from an apparent #1 isn't going to cut it. 

Same shit with Plekanec last year. Can argue until the cows come home. I just see glimpses of the future in Weber's game. 

Yeah, no one is disputing that Weber kicked ass and took names for the first 20 games of the season. His defenders keep conveniently forgetting how indifferent his play has been since then, and the numbers back that up. Sure, he's solid back there, he can eat lots of minutes. But has not been a difference-maker doing anything special for about 40 games now. Hopefully these 40 games are just a half-season (!) blip and he roars back with dominating performances all the way to the final playoff horn; but the concerns are legitimate.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

The Talent level from Subban to Weber isn't even comparable. You guys can type a novel up how I'm wrong about that, but I've seen 60 games from the guy, it is what it is. 

Its hilarious because the one thing we need more than ever right now, is a top 4, puck moving d-man

Now we can't use Beaulieu as a trade chip for a forward because this d-core is so paper thin with guys who can effectively move the puck. 

Ripple effect. 

11 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No offence but this discussion coming all the way back from last summer is not because of people here thinking Weber is god.

It comes from people here thinking Subban is god.

• Upvote 1

"THE MONTREAL CANADIENS WIN THE 2017 STANLEY CUP IN GAME 7!!!" Montreal Gazette.

"..they would have won it in 5 with Subban.." Stu Cowan.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

The Talent level from Subban to Weber isn't even comparable. You guys can type a novel up how I'm wrong about that, but I've seen 60 games from the guy, it is what it is. 

Its hilarious because the one thing we need more than ever right now, is a top 4, puck moving d-man

Now we can't use Beaulieu as a trade chip for a forward because this d-core is so paper thin with guys who can effectively move the puck. 

Ripple effect. 

I think Subban has more raw talent than Weber sure but I think Weber has a higher hockey sense and is better positionally. Subban better offensively and Weber better defensively is essentially what we knew we were getting in the end. Also I'm fairly surprised with Webers ability to read the play and pinch when needed but only if it's safe to do so. His passing is underrated too.

Also he is still physical when he needs to be but a lot of the time players avoid his side of the ice and instead go for Emilins side.

In regards to Beaulieu not being able to be traded, I think that has more to do with us being weak on the left side defensively more than not being able to trade him because we need a puck mover but that's just me.

Can Weber play better or should he play better. Absolutely but I'm not ready to paint a complete picture of the guy after a couple months just like I'm not going to paint a picture of PK after that bad year last year.