Andrew Shaw Contract

BCHabnut

So it's only 7 games in, but I have to ask, "Why the hell did MB sign this guy for that much money?" So far all I'm seeing is a fourth liner paid as a second liner. I know it's early and hopefully we bury this thread and dig it up to make fun of when he proves to be indispensable, but my first impression is, "We paid how much for this guy? For how long?"

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, BCHabnut said:

So it's only 7 games in, but I have to ask, "Why the hell did MB sign this guy for that much money?" So far all I'm seeing is a fourth liner paid as a second liner. I know it's early and hopefully we bury this thread and dig it up to make fun of when he proves to be indispensable, but my first impression is, "We paid how much for this guy? For how long?"

It is funny but I have been asking myself that question as well. A lot of his salary is signing bonus but this guy got one heck of a raise. I sure hope he is worth it.

1 hour ago, BCHabnut said:

So its 7 games in and I find myself asking how did we get our soon to be 30 goal scorer Torrey Mitchell so darn cheap. 

51 minutes ago, Commandant said:

So its 7 games in and I find myself asking how did we get our soon to be 30 goal scorer Torrey Mitchell so darn cheap. 

Good point but I would not bet the house (unless heavily mortgaged) on Torrey getting 30.

9 minutes ago, habs rule said:

Good point but I would not bet the house (unless heavily mortgaged) on Torrey getting 30.

Yes it was sarcasm.... showing the foolishness of basing too much on a small number of games. 

Shaw is a guy the gets you through. Eller was a guy that got us there but did not get us there last year, that was the reason for the trade. Eller and Shaw have similar cap hits. 

Shaw will be a major pest along with Gallagher in the playoffs. 

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Yes it was sarcasm.... showing the foolishness of basing too much on a small number of games. 

It has nothing to do with the amount of games. It has to do with his past stats and what I see when he plays. He looks to me like any number of 3rd 4th liners making 2 million a year. 4 million for 6 years may be a problem down the road. that kind of money and term for someone who got a whole 34 points playing beside Towes and Kane, combined with what I have seen so far, does not impress me.

Got 34 points... didn't play beside Toews and Kane.

Heck Toews and Kane didn't even play on the same line last year. 

The line was Panarin - Anisimov - Kane.

Shaw got some time with Toews and Hossa but it was limited as that spot had a rotating cast of wingers including some time for Panik, some time for Ladd, some time for Dano, some time for Sekac, some time for Teurovainen as well.  Toews line had a rotating cast at LW. 

In world with a 73 million cap, he is worth the money if he scores 35-40 points along with screening goalies on the PP, and playing a defensively responsible, agitating game and drawing penalties.

If he's a 25 point guy, then no he's not worth it.

Its been 7 games though.... 

1 hour ago, JMMR said:

Shaw is a guy the gets you through. Eller was a guy that got us there but did not get us there last year, that was the reason for the trade. Eller and Shaw have similar cap hits. 

Shaw will be a major pest along with Gallagher in the playoffs. 

I agree...Shaw may be overpaid, but his contract will have to be assessed based on playoff performance above all.

What I've noticed is a guy that is a very effective player for 200' and a guy that is working hard and will get some bounces that he has been just missing. I like him 100% better than Eller so far...

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Does ANYONE miss Eller?

:tumbleweed:

I thought not.

Poor Larry, hope he has an OK season at least.

Not to be contrary, but Shaw did grab one of 2 Tampa defenders and I wished goal counted; but agree with penalty call.

3 minutes ago, DON said:

Poor Larry, hope he has an OK season at least.

"Poor Larry"...that about sums up the bizarrely mothering attitude so many fans directed to this bland, forgettable, and ultimately disappointing player. I could never understand it.

Nothing against him, but I really couldn't give a whoop about his future career one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

"Poor Larry"...that about sums up the bizarrely mothering attitude so many fans directed to this bland, forgettable, and ultimately disappointing player. I could never understand it.

Nothing against him, but I really couldn't give a whoop about his future career one way or the other.

Does he have a future that is the question. I like Shaw way more. He has guts, talent and a mean streak.

And Don the ref was wrong.PERIOD

• Upvote 1

On 29/10/2016 at 11:59 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

One goal in eight games. 

Must be the coach.