Leafs at Habs, Nov 18

illWill

37 minutes ago, illWill said:

Anybody else notice how brutal Shaw was? I made it a point to specifically follow him on the ice and he couldn't do anything right out there. Couldn't get the puck out, couldn't receive a pass, constantly out of position, couldn't break up a play, etc.....nice mustache though 

I did notice that. He looked scramble and confused. And Lord, that 'stache is awful<_<

37 minutes ago, illWill said:

Anybody else notice how brutal Shaw was? I made it a point to specifically follow him on the ice and he couldn't do anything right out there. Couldn't get the puck out, couldn't receive a pass, constantly out of position, couldn't break up a play, etc.....nice mustache though 

Five more years after this. Well, technically. I'm sure the next GM will just dump him as soon as possible.

Guest Stogey24
38 minutes ago, illWill said:

These past couple games he's been way better. Why he got paid what he did though, I have no idea  

36 minutes ago, illWill said:

Shaw definitely has had some bad plays in our end but I feel he has been getting better overall since the start of the season. He hustles out there especially in the offensive zone and makes life miserable for the other team. Having him and Gallagher on this team is a good thing even though Gally seems to be slumping right now.

12 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

Sometimes Price just needs to stay in his net

One reason many want to see trapezoid removed, to create more goals by goalies turning over pucks when think they are better puck handlers than they really are, other would be to help protect d-men from being run into corner boards.

12 hours ago, JGC21 said:

When will Redmond be back?  This Pateryn/Hanley platoon is bothersome - both players seem lost on the ice.

Was noted Redman was still in a walking boot couple days ago, so no time soon.

Weber with 2a, also crunched some leaf numerous times, with one real beauty hit and 8 saves as well.

What the heck happened to Hanley? Injured or benched? Forced Markov to play 24+minutes, which is just too much for the General Grand-pa.

Weber, Petry and ...Emelin? all with 3 shots.

Pacioretty's penalty still stands out as low-light of game, worse was that he did it right in front of ref and then whined about. BOO!

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, DON said:

Weber with 2a, also crunched some leaf numerous times, with one real beauty hit and 8 saves as well.

What the heck happened to Hanley? Injured or benched? Forced Markov to play 24+minutes, which is just too much for the General Grand-pa.

Weber, Petry and ...Emelin? all with 3 shots.

Pacioretty's penalty still stands out as low-light of game, worse was that he did it right in front of ref and then whined about. BOO!

I don't even get why Hanley plays. Therrien doesn't trust him

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but Mueller went over and talked to Therrien after Leafs goal. Camera was on them for awhile and Therrien didn't even acknowledge him at all. 

11 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I don't even get why Hanley plays. Therrien doesn't trust him

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but Mueller went over and talked to Therrien after Leafs goal. Camera was on them for awhile and Therrien didn't even acknowledge him at all. 

Hmmmm. Trouble in the foxhole? That'd align with the suspicion that, first, Muller was foisted on Le Genius, and second, that Le Genius is an arsehole. But who knows.

14 hours ago, JGC21 said:

When will Redmond be back?  This Pateryn/Hanley platoon is bothersome - both players seem lost on the ice.

The original assessment had him pegged for an early-mid December return.  With Hanley getting that little ice time, I wonder if we'll see him sent back soon with one of Barberio or Lernout coming up.  (If it's a #7 spot, there's not much point towards burning some of Barberio's waiver clock so that's what makes me wonder about Lernout.)

8 hours ago, illWill said:

Shaw plays a meat and potatoes game. It's definitely not pretty, but he played the last few minutes of the Leafs game like it was a PeeWee B game and in its own way, it won us the game. I think he brings an interesting element to the team. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been that impressed but I've always wanted a Chris Neil type on the team. Hopefully he's better than that though. 

23 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Shaw plays a meat and potatoes game. It's definitely not pretty, but he played the last few minutes of the Leafs game like it was a PeeWee B game and in its own way, it won us the game. I think he brings an interesting element to the team. Don't get me wrong, I haven't been that impressed but I've always wanted a Chris Neil type on the team. Hopefully he's better than that though. 

Peewee B players are probably offended to be compared to Shaw last night haha jk. I agree he brings an interesting element to the team and I'm not complaining as long as the team is winning. If and when this team starts to lose there will be some finger pointing going on and he will likely be one of the targets. He does however come across as a guy who will thrive in the playoffs so I think complete judgement should be reserved till then.  

59 minutes ago, illWill said:

Peewee B players are probably offended to be compared to Shaw last night haha jk. I agree he brings an interesting element to the team and I'm not complaining as long as the team is winning. If and when this team starts to lose there will be some finger pointing going on and he will likely be one of the targets. He does however come across as a guy who will thrive in the playoffs so I think complete judgement should be reserved till then.  

No doubt about that. It's tough, though, when a sizeable contract becomes justified mainly in playoff performance. The guy basically has a handful of games in which to justify his salary. One injury, or a couple of bum games, and the whole thing goes "poof." Now, hopefully more than a handful of games, but you get the idea. Remember when Eller's deal was defended on the grounds that he's a guy who "helps you win in the playoffs," then he proceeded to stink out the joint in the post-season?

I get that Shaw is no Eller - he's a Cup champ, not a gormless galoot. Still, I can't believe the guy we're seeing out there is the guy that was praised to the heavens in Chicago. It must be reasonable to expect more from him, therefore, regular season or no.

I thought Shaw was really good except for the last few games, at making simple plays, and effectively moving the puck, and gaining possession. I like his game, he's plucky and who knows, maybe a bit injured last few games? Anyway, he looked good to me the first few games but was snake bit, he'll be fine...

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
55 minutes ago, KoRP said:

I thought Shaw was really good except for the last few games, at making simple plays, and effectively moving the puck, and gaining possession. I like his game, he's plucky and who knows, maybe a bit injured last few games? Anyway, he looked good to me the first few games but was snake bit, he'll be fine...

He has 4pts in last 5 games. He's looked better lately, than he did at start of year. To me anyways  

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

No doubt about that. It's tough, though, when a sizeable contract becomes justified mainly in playoff performance. The guy basically has a handful of games in which to justify his salary. One injury, or a couple of bum games, and the whole thing goes "poof." Now, hopefully more than a handful of games, but you get the idea. Remember when Eller's deal was defended on the grounds that he's a guy who "helps you win in the playoffs," then he proceeded to stink out the joint in the post-season?

I get that Shaw is no Eller - he's a Cup champ, not a gormless galoot. Still, I can't believe the guy we're seeing out there is the guy that was praised to the heavens in Chicago. It must be reasonable to expect more from him, therefore, regular season or no.

CC what exactly is a gormless galoot?:)

15 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Maybe a bit more, he has averaged 34.6points/82games and is on pace for 30.4 and he has had games he has played very well, so other than more turnovers than expected he hasn't been horrible, but I guess some just got to find something to rant about.;).

And as some like to bitch that Desharnais/Plekanec never show up during playoffs, he has, so there also is that.

With the exception of a few defensive flubs, I think Shaw has improved a lot. His work in the offensive zone has created a few goals which he didn't get points for. I never did like his contract, but I actually like the way he has played lately.

11 hours ago, illWill said:

I've used google to figure out what CC is saying more than anybody else ever 

:lol: 

DON, meanwhile, apparently doesn't know what 'rant' means. I was hardly demonizing Shaw, just noting that he doesn't seem to have played up to his salary at all, at least not yet.

28 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:lol: 

DON, meanwhile, apparently doesn't know what 'rant' means. I was hardly demonizing Shaw, just noting that he doesn't seem to have played up to his salary at all, at least not yet.

When he is the 9th highest paid on a team who is #1 in the NHL and is basically is on pace for his career average, what did you friggin expect? And sorry you had to overpay...oh wait you arnt paying him. And many want free agents signed every July, but when on the market in the summer they all tend to get overpaid, especially a 2 time cup-winning young forward, so shouldn't come as a shock he dosent have the best contract in the NHL like Pacioretty has.

2 hours ago, DON said:

When he is the 9th highest paid on a team who is #1 in the NHL and is basically is on pace for his career average, what did you friggin expect? And sorry you had to overpay...oh wait you arnt paying him. And many want free agents signed every July, but when on the market in the summer they all tend to get overpaid, especially a 2 time cup-winning young forward, so shouldn't come as a shock he dosent have the best contract in the NHL like Pacioretty has.

Listen, all I did was agree that he seemed scrambly and confused against the Leafs and doesn't seem to have brought the kind of "glue guy" grit and agitation that was advertised. Analogies were drawn with Brendan Gallagher in terms of getting under opponents' skin. So far, arguably at least, that hasn't been the case. Maybe the suspensions threw him off - a point about which commentators were pretty unanimous. Maybe he's still finding his feet, maybe it's early-season blahs (as with Gallagher himself). It's way to soon too declare the contract a bust, but not too soon to point these things out.

• Upvote 1