Lehkonen - Danault - Shaw

Byron - Mitchell - Gallagher

Carr - Flynn - Andrighetto

Emelin - Weber

Markov - Petry

Beaulieu - Redmond

Price

• Upvote 1

Rask starting in Montreal for the 1st time in a while right? 

He's had a great start to the year.

Also from my recollection every time the Habs have had a goal explosion in recent memory of anything with 7+ the next few games they don't score too many. Carey will have to be a beast tonight. 

5 minutes ago, JMMR said:

Rask starting in Montreal for the 1st time in a while right? 

He's had a great start to the year.

It's not confirmed he's starting yet but given how bad Khudobin has been for them, I'd have to think he's getting the nod.

So excited to see how Danault will fair against the Bruins. We're actually watching a kid blossom before our very eyes... Finally given a permanent role on a team this guy is really impressing! 

When does McCarron come in? 

With Mitchell playing so well and Flynn bagging a brace in that beat down on Saturday. it would be shameful to alter this line up at the moment.

The evolving pairing of beaulieau redmond is something im eager to see as well!

1 minute ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

With Mitchell playing so well and Flynn bagging a brace in that beat down on Saturday. it would be shameful to alter this line up at the moment.

He won't be in tonight as there are no lineup changes once again.  With that in mind, I'm hoping both he and Barberio are sent down after the game.  With a 3-day layoff after this, they may as well save a bit of cap space and then bring them (or someone else) back after 5 PM on Thursday.

6 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

Laval couldnt come soon enough...

I'm certainly intrigued to see how (if) they change things when it comes to cap and roster management once the farm team is much closer.  A team that isn't afraid to have their players shuffle back and forth could save a fair bit of money while giving prospects more NHL time.

19 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

So excited to see how Danault will fair against the Bruins. We're actually watching a kid blossom before our very eyes... Finally given a permanent role on a team this guy is really impressing! 

The evolving pairing of beaulieau redmond is something im eager to see as well!

Everything is hunky-dory after two dominating performances. And I love Danault's game. But let's keep it real...Beaulieu/Redmond are likely to dip sooner or later, as are guys like Flynn, etc.. ;)

danault has looked good essentially all season long and i know he's never been a massive point producer at any level...but his 2 way game and ability to play in the corners is very refreshing opposed to watching DD try to make passes from his knees(since hes always going to ground/ice)

also, just saying the D pairing is something im eager to see cause both looked good again! 

no need to be so negative... 

and even you have to admit thus far, MB has done some really good things...

9 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

danault has looked good essentially all season long and i know he's never been a massive point producer at any level...but his 2 way game and ability to play in the corners is very refreshing opposed to watching DD try to make passes from his knees(since hes always going to ground/ice)

also, just saying the D pairing is something im eager to see cause both looked good again! 

no need to be so negative... 

and even you have to admit thus far, MB has done some really good things...

No need to be so negative, unless you are talking about DD, then you are encouraged to be negative, Am I right?

We are all negative about some players and positive about others, nature of the best... but just because someone is negative about a player you like, doesn't mean thats different than you being negative about another guy. 

not unless your pointing out the positive over the negative on both sides don't you think? 

"and i know he's never been a massive point producer at any level" 

theres nothing healthy about blind pessimism.

Danault was brought in to replace DD and its exactly whats happening at the moment... there's only optimism here. 

It's always great to watch players who are "strong on the puck." And Danault is. The Habs have tended not to have this as a part of their game in recent years, so when guys like Danault and Radulov - who has got to be one of the very best in hockey at it - demonstrate that skill, it's very refreshing. And I think it'll make a big difference come playoff time.

I don't really get the "even YOU have to admit MB has done some good things." What am I, Captain Negativity? :lol: All I'm saying is, don't get too excited by a pairing like Beaulieu-Redmond and don't expect marginal players to deliver big-time night after night. Going ga-ga over the roster coming off a 10-1 triumph is no more sensible than rending our garments and calling for a tank job after the Columbus game.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

not unless your pointing out the positive over the negative on both sides don't you think? 

"and i know he's never been a massive point producer at any level" 

theres nothing healthy about blind pessimism.

Danault was brought in to replace DD and its exactly whats happening at the moment... there's only optimism here. 

Blind pessimism describes 4 years of DD posts on this forum by a number of users, but thats ok, DD is treated differently i guess...  god forbid someone say Danault has played well, but will need to prove it over a bigger sample size. 

I don't hate DD, not at all... I am just a big believer that if this team truly has stanley cup aspirations then a replacement of DD is needed...

29 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

It's always great to watch players who are "strong on the puck." And Danault is. The Habs have tended not to have this as a part of their game in recent years, so when guys like Danault and Radulov - who has got to be one of the very best in hockey at it - demonstrate that skill, it's very refreshing. And I think it'll make a big difference come playoff time.

I don't really get the "even YOU have to admit MB has done some good things." What am I, Captain Negativity? :lol: All I'm saying is, don't get too excited by a pairing like Beaulieu-Redmond and don't expect marginal players to deliver big-time night after night. Going ga-ga over the roster coming off a 10-1 triumph is no more sensible than rending our garments and calling for a tank job after the Columbus game.

Put that way sounds much better.

as for redmond beaulieau... I didn't say they were the next stud  pairing... simply that i was eager to see how they will fair again....

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

No need to be so negative, unless you are talking about DD, then you are encouraged to be negative, Am I right?

We are all negative about some players and positive about others, nature of the best... but just because someone is negative about a player you like, doesn't mean thats different than you being negative about another guy. 

Come on, who dosent crap on Desharnais, you know some posters are much more pessimistic than others and they would be even in a 82-0 season..."Just wait till they fold in the playoffs!"

Anyways, hope Habs simply destroy Bruins today!:gohabsgo:

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Everything is hunky-dory after two dominating performances. And I love Danault's game. But let's keep it real...Beaulieu/Redmond are likely to dip sooner or later, as are guys like Flynn, etc.. ;)

2 hours ago, dlbalr said:

He won't be in tonight as there are no lineup changes once again.  With that in mind, I'm hoping both he and Barberio are sent down after the game.  With a 3-day layoff after this, they may as well save a bit of cap space and then bring them (or someone else) back after 5 PM on Thursday.

I personally would put McCarron in for Ghetto. He doesn't seem hungry to me. 

I really have no argument though. I guess he did put up 2 assists last game. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I think it's fair to make a statement based on observation though. Redmond has looked really good and the things that he looks good at such as his skating mobility, strong outlet passes and patience with the puck don't really go away with time. In my opinion, it's rather the opposite type of player who fades away as time progresses.

I'm not trying to be irrational, but I like Pateryn quite a bit and would not want him back in over Redmond at this point. 

There's also a case to be made that it's about time Beaulieu is able to hold his own. I know it's something I've been defending for a few months now. Our defense is the least of my concerns unlike some others on here. 

DD's a good player, and a steal at 3.5 million. He's a solid 2nd line center, and a great 3rd line center.  What he's not is a cornerstone of our offense or a guy who should see a lot of powerplay time.

This is a problem hockey fans have all over the place. Like the Leaf fans I'm surrounded with complaining about Phil Kessel for years -- when Kessel did exactly what the team hired him to do and he did it very very well: Score goals. You don't expect a guy like that to be Sid. That's not who he is. They had a similar problem with Dion Phaneuf (except in Phaneuf's case, the Leaf's brass also had the same problem.) Phaneuf is a solid #4 defenseman on any team in the NHL. What he's not is a cornerstone of your defense who should be paid $7 million a year and made captain, expected to carry the team. He's just a good defenseman, who was expected to be savior.

We've got this problem with David Desharnais. David Desharnais is a good hockey player. He's also underpaid, which makes him a steal. It's not his fault that Le Genius keeps treating him as if he's Gretzky or something. Don't hold that against DD. DD has done an admirable job of trying to fill the roles MT thrusts him into, but he's not cut out for them. Fortunately this year he hasn't had to be. We've got 2-3 centers who are better.

• Upvote 1

The Salary Cap for an NHL team is $73 million.

With an 22-23 players on the roster at any given time, that means the average, run of the mill player makes $3.2+ million dollars.

However, when entry level contracts (which run between $600-$900,000) are removed from the mix, that means average players make a little more than $3.2 million, probably a bit closer to $4 million.

David Desharnais, a 45-60 point guy most seasons, no matter which line he plays on, is a little bit better than the average, and makes $3.5 million.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure you can look at the league average salary to justify a player's underwhelming performance for the responsibilities and ice-time he gets. When we look at DD's first two years on his contract, he was used primarily as a first-line center with only quality ice time, mostly offensive zone starts, playing mostly on the first wave of the power play, and mostly with our best forwards. Despite this he gave us 52 and 48 points, which is underwhelming offensively for a first-line center, without mentioning that he never played in defensive situations (PK, critical defensive zone faceoffs, etc).

Desharnais really only produced on a consistent basis while playing with Max Pacioretty. Also despite a lot of ice-time he also has always been mediocre on the power-play. One would think that Desharnais would thrive on the power-play, but it has never been the case. I don't care what the player's salary is versus the league average, that type of performance does not make a team better. Even at 3.5M if you don't make your team better, you are not a steal or a bargain... on the opposite you could even argue there is an opportunity cost of not giving these opportunities to another player (i.e. like Danault right now taking full advantage of Desharnais' opportunities, his play has made us better so far) 

As for the last two years of his contract, I don't see how you consider him a great third-liner. He had a good short sequence last year playing with Weise and Fleischman, but that didn't last long, and he's never done anything worth to mention since then. Also this season because Therrien doesn't trust him with defensive missions traditionally going to the third line, Therrien has to break up the lines for the special teams, with Desharnais on the power play instead of Plekanec, who had to take penalty killing duties. Also since as usually DD did not perform on the PP, DD and Plekanec started sharing PP duties. 

I have nothing against Desharnais, but for the last 4 seasons I can only see him as a guy who has failed on the Top 6, a guy Bergevin couldn't trade last year as according to some insiders there was zero interest for him at the deadline (he got injured, but was coming back in time for the playoffs), and now a guy we're kinda stuck stuck with. We work hard to find him a role somewhere, but he's been a mediocre offensively as Top 6 player, and he doesn't bring much as a 3rd line center either. He was even benched at some point by a coach who adores him. How is this a 3.5M steal?? 

I used to like DD and defend him as a limited but decently productive playmaker. However, he has basically done zilch since last November. The defence of him is about a year out of date. At some point, total uselessness wears out its welcome. 

2 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I personally would put McCarron in for Ghetto. He doesn't seem hungry to me. 

I really have no argument though. I guess he did put up 2 assists last game.

Before last game, I'd have agreed with you.  I thought Andrighetto had his best game in a long time on Saturday (and not just because he actually got a couple of points).  I thought he actually played with some energy for the first time in a while and it'd be tough to sit him when he finally stepped up.