Dec. 12, Bruins vs Habs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

This abysmal PP is getting sickening. 
And MT...wtf does it take for him to realize a guy is useless out there and take him off the PP?  Gallagher should not be out there...try someone else!

We may be seeing what happens when your team loses offensively talented players to injury. Against a hermetic, well coached team, we can't generate a critical mass of offense. 

2 minutes ago, sbhatt said:

This abysmal PP is getting sickening. 
And MT...wtf does it take for him to realize a guy is useless out there and take him off the PP?  Gallagher should not be out there...try someone else!

The entire team sucks tonight on the PP, both waves included... 

9 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

The entire team sucks tonight on the PP, both waves included... 

Give the dirt bags some credit, they're 3rd overall on the PK. 

Is it just me, or does Gally do nothing but shoot wide nowadays? His struggles are baffling.

4 hours ago, CerebusClone said:

I'm not sure you can look at the league average salary to justify a player's underwhelming performance for the responsibilities and ice-time he gets.

That's the opposite of what I said. 

I said MT gives him far too much responsibility and ice-time. But that's not DDs fault.

The simple fact is, that as a guy who has played most of his time shifting between all four  lines, he's averaging 0.58 points per game for his career. That's 48 points per 82 game season. He's as high as 60, but that's getting first line duty. 45-50 is where he'll sit, if he gets a solid 82 games on a good 2nd or 3rd line. The average regular NHL forward gets 0.4-ish points per game and makes 3.2 million, including entry level contracts.  When you remove ELCs from the mix, David Desharnais regularly puts up better than average production, with a lower than average salary.

You can complain about that, but then you're simply not being realistic. Guys that put up more points than DD on a regular basis make 5+ million a year. Guys that make his salary tend to get less points. Guys that make less money than him tend to put up less points. Combined with the fact that he's a dependable player that you can trust on either end of the ice, in any situation (even if he's not ideal for any situation, he's also far from a bad choice), and 3.5 million is cheap for him. For any other player of his talent and work ethic, you'll pay more. 

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

...and, Gallagher misses the net AGAIN

I've run right out of patience with him...has been crapola for most of this season...time for a pressbox visit.

The only positive we can take away from this game is that our team is far sturdier than they have been in recent times...played in a very physical game and gave as good as they got.  Hope tomorrow's practice is heavy on the PP

I want to say both goals on Price were weak, but one was a seeing eye shot low blocker and the other was a breakaway tip shot from the slot.

I'm so used to Price being perfect that even great scoring chances on him seem fluky. 

29 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

I want to say both goals on Price were weak, but one was a seeing eye shot low blocker and the other was a breakaway tip shot from the slot.

I'm so used to Price being perfect that even great scoring chances on him seem fluky. 

I read an interview from Luongo the other day. He was talking about how, at age 37, he's still trying to be the best in the world. 'I keep trying to be as good as Carey Price, even though I know that'll never happen.' 

Quite a tribute from a pretty damned great goalie in his own right.

All that said...it WAS a stoppable shot, I think.

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All that said...it WAS a stoppable shot, I think.

It sure was...BUT...he stopped everything else the Bruins threw at him for 60 minutes.  I don't care if Carey gives up exactly 1 goal every single game, and even if that one goal is a stinker each and every time...I will place the blame 100% on his team, who couldn't manage to score more than one in that same 60 minutes.  For all of the heroics he pulls off in a season, they owe him that level of goal support at least.

42 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

We are spoiled by his brilliance, no doubt about it.

1 hour ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

That's the opposite of what I said. 

I said MT gives him far too much responsibility and ice-time. But that's not DDs fault.

The simple fact is, that as a guy who has played most of his time shifting between all four  lines, he's averaging 0.58 points per game for his career. That's 48 points per 82 game season. He's as high as 60, but that's getting first line duty. 45-50 is where he'll sit, if he gets a solid 82 games on a good 2nd or 3rd line. The average regular NHL forward gets 0.4-ish points per game and makes 3.2 million, including entry level contracts.  When you remove ELCs from the mix, David Desharnais regularly puts up better than average production, with a lower than average salary.

You can complain about that, but then you're simply not being realistic. Guys that put up more points than DD on a regular basis make 5+ million a year. Guys that make his salary tend to get less points. Guys that make less money than him tend to put up less points. Combined with the fact that he's a dependable player that you can trust on either end of the ice, in any situation (even if he's not ideal for any situation, he's also far from a bad choice), and 3.5 million is cheap for him. For any other player of his talent and work ethic, you'll pay more. 

What are you even talking about? DD is OVERPAID and on top

of that he will never get 60 points again... MB  signing DD to that deal has only held this team back!

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

What are you even talking about? DD is OVERPAID and on top

of that he will never get 60 points again... MB  signing DD to that deal has only held this team back!

I wouldnt say a 3.5 million dollar deal for dd held the team back. I think he earned his pay until the end of last season. He's starting to wear out his welcome with me, but I think the dd hate and his salary in recent years has been overblown. 

I would say it is time for him to go for sure. I would say MT definitely favoured him in too many situations. But I would not say that his 3.5 million was too much during most of his contract. having him and an overpaid Eller on the same team was an issue though. 

Guest Stogey24

Ya, so glad we pay Desharnais 3.5. Great contract. His 29pts last year and 30pt pace this year is a real treat  :blink:

I'm hoping Weber is just in a bit of a slump, or maybe fighting an injury. His passing and skating has been awful the last handful of games. 

For me, DD is a good regular season producer, usually in good situations offensively, and pads his stats vs weaker teams over the run of a year. Not always, but mostly vs big teams or fast teams he's a liability, denying that is, well, just denial. Danault is 10x better vs everybody...

• Upvote 1

My point exactly! MB was bang on when he brought Danault as his replacement.

My problem isn't that he's small but that he plays the game very small!!

And, what i meant by holding us back is not essentially the 3.5 million cap hit but the fact most NHL teams recognize that outside of DD's offensive vision (passing only really) he needs to be sheltered, shielded by his linemates and coaching strategy to be successful. no team is willing to take a flyer on him even at a low 3.5 million lol...

we will leave him unprotected at the expansion draft and he still wont get selected. we arfe stuck with him till he's a UFA becaused frankily we need guys to expose in the selection process. 

All of Galchenyuk, Plex, Danault, Mitchell, Flynn, Shaw are better options at this point, and if the pre season and rookie camps earned you a spot on the roster by merit alone and not by who's signed and who's not... even lil Mike McCarron out performed him daily. 

DD 3.5 million break down...

1.5 million to him

1.5 Max Pacioretty (for carrying him) in his NHL career thus far

.5 million to Eric Cole (for helping him get paid) with that 60pt season

DD's 60 pts and 44 assists that earned him his contract was on the heels of both cole scoring 30+ and max's 30+ breakout season!!

take max away from him like they did last season and 28pts is what you get...

• Upvote 1