Mar. 14, Chicago vs Montreal, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

One thing I will say about Emelin: with all due respect to Commandant's critique of the whole concept of the 'big game player,' I believe that Emelin is indeed a big game player. He has always stepped up in playoff battles, for instance.

28 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

People keep acting like they forget that Emelin was just a healthy scratch less than five games ago. If veteran related bias is the reason that Emelin played yesterday while Beaulieu sat, then what is the reason that Beaulieu played the other day when Emelin was scratched?

Julien said he wanted to keep a rotation going with some of the healthy bottom pairing guys so this was just a natural progression of that. 

The timing of Emelin's performance is a little odd because it really does seem like he lost confidence after being scratched. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me though because knowing Julien, he would have most likely said that his benching was rest related and not performance related.

A lot of people have been hard on him for some time but clearly yesterday was worse than ever.

I still want Emelin in our lineup come playoff time and I'm actually confident he'll pick his game up. He needs to be with the right partner though and I'm not sure Petry is the answer. 

If Petry isn't the answer, then there is no answer on this team.  He's the best skating and puck moving defenceman on RHD.  

2 minutes ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

I bet Emelin is hurt. There's bad, and then there's 30/44 SA bad. That's what Douglas Murray would get on hard drugs.

Ok, but if he's hurt enough that its doing this to his performance, he should sit and let others play in his place. 

He can't be playing this way, and its not just one game either (though this game was his worst, he's been bad for a while). 

So, I was working on my Cougar last night and not paying significant attention to the game. Normally, I'd listen in or have it on in some capacity in the garage, but not last night, for no good reason. Literally EACH time I walked in to the house last night, the Hawks scored. I decided to sit down and watch the rest of the third period. The Habs made it interesting at least. I wasn't fond of Carey being pulled prior to possession being gained off the faceoff, but I don't make the big coaching bucks that Julien does.

As far as Emelin goes, I don't really recall the second goal, but on the 1st and 3rd, I was wondering what the heck was going on, especially on the third. Weber must've been covering some of his gaffes, and has been more Weber-like, it seems, since being liberated from Emelin. Anyway, players have crappy games. That one was one whoparoo of a stinker for Emelin, though.

I missed the NYR game, where Martinsen was supposedly good. Interesting that he hasn't been in may more games other than that one. Why is King so invisible? On the forward front, it's a little sad that Ott has been the most noticeable of the deadline acquisitions.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

If Petry isn't the answer, then there is no answer on this team.  He's the best skating and puck moving defenceman on RHD.  

I agree there's no answer on this team because the best (for him) would be Weber and I've already said my part on how that shouldn't be the first pairing.

Limited minutes with Benn might not be terrible though. Benn actually seems to be able to keep the puck on his stick for a little bit of possession. 

Markov-Weber

Beaulieu-Petry

Emelin-Benn

Davidson

That's my lineup come playoffs assuming healthy. 

As for King, huzer, we got the King's second worst to worst player from their cup runs. He can be effective in the offensive zone out of a cycle and score goals around the net but other than that he's pretty much there to lay the body out and forecheck strong. Hopefully he'll be a direct contributor to one or two victories 

In the playoffs this season. I'm skeptical as well but can also see his size helping us out in a close, grind it out type of game. 

when it comes to Emelin we all (including fans and management) have our collective heads in the sand.  He is a terrible d-man.  He has been terrible for years.  He looked good earlier because he was paired with Weber.  Petry is no Weber and just can't cover for Emelins' f--k ups.  There is no one to pair Emelin with..(he may end up with Weber again before its all said and done).  He costs the team 3 goals last night.  Did you see Petry's reaction on the 3rd goal???  literally saying WTF...He is not hurt... except for his hockey IQ = which has been in a coma for the past 3 years...

• Upvote 1

Emelin is not a big game player. He's a big moment player. You remember a few body checks. You remember a few moments where he was important in a play. Overall he's a black hole of suck offensively and most of the time he has to be bailed out by his defensive partner.

And if Las Vegas isn't stupid and selects him in the expansion draft, he will have to either be bought out or traded next year with his value at an all-time low. Another player having to be moved two years too late. 

9 hours ago, Commandant said:

Ok, but if he's hurt enough that its doing this to his performance, he should sit and let others play in his place. 

He can't be playing this way, and its not just one game either (though this game was his worst, he's been bad for a while). 

Oh yeah. This is the first chink in the armor for the Julien regime.

5 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Emelin is not a big game player. He's a big moment player. You remember a few body checks. You remember a few moments where he was important in a play. Overall he's a black hole of suck offensively and most of the time he has to be bailed out by his defensive partner.

And if Las Vegas isn't stupid and selects him in the expansion draft, he will have to either be bought out or traded next year with his value at an all-time low. Another player having to be moved two years too late. 

I would rather they just kept him for the last year of his deal than get tricky like they did with Briere. They could trade him for another pumpkin, or carry dead weight for a couple of years. They have two bad contracts, and only for one more year. I don't see much currency in shifting that 4 million into 2 or taking on a guy with 2 or 3 years left. If he's got 30-50 games left of mediocre hockey, they should just let him sit in the press box. They like having 8 dmen as is.

Guest Stogey24
20 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How does Emelin stack up from an 'advanced stats' perspective? Just curious. I suspect the answer is 'badly,' but defer to the gurus on this.

pile-of-shit-dd.png

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

How does Emelin stack up from an 'advanced stats' perspective? Just curious. I suspect the answer is 'badly,' but defer to the gurus on this.

Its not pretty at all. Never has been. 

Guest Stogey24

Power play line up in practice..

PP1 

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov

Weber-byron 

PP2

Lehkonen-Danualt-shaw

Markov-Petry 

4 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Power play line up in practice..

PP1 

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Radulov

Weber-byron 

PP2

Lehkonen-Danualt-shaw

Markov-Petry 

:blink:

I like the D on the second wave...quite a drop off on the second FW unit though!

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

:blink:

I like the D on the second wave...quite a drop off on the second FW unit though!

I don't hate Byron as the puck moving dman on 1st wave. 

With Radu and Chucky, he's pretty much the only one capable of entering the zone with puck possession using his awesome speed.

6 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

With Radu and Chucky, he's pretty much the only one capable of entering the zone with puck possession using his awesome speed.

I don't hate it necessarily. I just think it's bizarre, on paper. And maybe a bit of an indictment of our talent at LD.

Guest Stogey24
53 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I think it was more Galchenyuk shifting to the point after the draw. 

The numbers suggest that the Habs create a lot of chances when Beaulieu is used on the PP.  Not sure why Byron is ahead of him. 

Beaulieu in a role to transition through the neutral zone and be a playmaker in the offensive zone has worked this year. 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't hate it necessarily. I just think it's bizarre, on paper. And maybe a bit of an indictment of our talent at LD.

Yeah :(

27 minutes ago, Commandant said:

The numbers suggest that the Habs create a lot of chances when Beaulieu is used on the PP.  Not sure why Byron is ahead of him. 

Beaulieu in a role to transition through the neutral zone and be a playmaker in the offensive zone has worked this year. 

Totally agree with this.

39 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

I think it was more Galchenyuk shifting to the point after the draw. 

I thought too.  Maybe they want to try something else...

Guest Stogey24
3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Beaulieu should be back in the line up 

Beaulieu has been on the ice for 16 power play goals. He also has as many primary assists as Radulov, on the power play. 

Julien was known for not being very fond of the young guys in Boston. 

6 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

Beaulieu should be back in the line up 

It's a no-brainer for sure, but it troubles me that N8 has not been able to convince two consecutive coaches that he has the right stuff.

Guest Stogey24

Is Mccarron not a better option than King? 

The guy is basically a step behind every play. I've yet to see him lay the body or do any work in front of the net...

When Julien became coach, this was the one thing that worried me. Some of the younger guys would take a back seat to the "vets". 

I'm not knocking Julien. I think he's a great guy and coach, but all of my Boston buddies said he tended to favour the older players. Playing ability aside.