Blandisi and Lucchini are in. Varone and Barber are out.

JoeLassister

No need to go that far back. That was a completely different era, different management and ownership

Cammalleri, Graboski, Kostitsin, Suban, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk... yes

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

From who?  Marc Bergevin wouldn't be telling Bouchard to play guys on minor league contracts ahead of the players that he signed to big two-way deals just last summer.

The veterans struggled last year and are struggling even more this year.  To me, that's a coaching issue.

“I didn’t take them out of the lineup because I thought they were playing excellent hockey,” said Joël Bouchard.

From the Athletic.

On the radio they said “Bouchard has decided to live and die with the youth” (paraphrasing)

I interpreted that as being marching orders because a coach would want to win and make the playoffs instead of playing the prospects higher up

43 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

On the radio they said “Bouchard has decided to live and die with the youth” (paraphrasing)

I interpreted that as being marching orders because a coach would want to win and make the playoffs instead of playing the prospects higher up

That would be one thing.  But look at their recent lineups - they're playing young guys behind players on minor league contracts.  Even when Cox was in the lineup before his injury, he was ahead of young guys too.

44 minutes ago, Commandant said:

“I didn’t take them out of the lineup because I thought they were playing excellent hockey,” said Joël Bouchard.

From the Athletic.

I know.  I've seen the quote.  I'm saying it's at least in part Bouchard's fault for not getting them to play well.  For someone who has a reputation of being a motivational coach, he's not very good at getting his veterans to buy in and that has been the case in his two years now.

Apparently Barber and Varone were grumbling because they were losing ice time to guys like Kotkaniemi and Poehling. I think Bouchard doesn't want to put up with that, everyone needs to play for the team rather than themselves.

Some additional perspective from The Athletic's story on Alzner this morning:

One of the recurring themes that have plagued the Rocket this season has been the ire from veterans who either have no interest in playing in the AHL or are frustrated when their minutes are reduced after poor performances. That certainly does not apply to Alzner, who has epitomized class and professionalism since his arrival in Laval.

“He obviously doesn’t want to be in the AHL,” Jake Evans said. “But he’s had such an amazing attitude. He’s a guy that all the young players, and even the older ones, can look up to. He’s an amazing guy and has been a great leader for this team.”

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Some additional perspective from The Athletic's story on Alzner this morning:

:clap: *applause* for Alzner's attitude  *applause* :clap:

No expectations from him, but a nice reward to him

28 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

:clap: *applause* for Alzner's attitude  *applause* :clap:

No expectations from him, but a nice reward to him

Everything I have read about him says he's a good guy. We just overpaid him, I can't blame him for taking our offer!

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Everything I have read about him says he's a good guy. We just overpaid him, I can't blame him for taking our offer!

Yes, the Habs professional scouts blew it pretty bad on that acquisition. He had not just slowed down a bit, he was toast and not NHL calibre anymore.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Yes, the Habs professional scouts blew it pretty bad on that acquisition. He had not just slowed down a bit, he was toast and not NHL calibre anymore.

It shouldn’t have been rocket science. He was a healthy scratch and 6th dman in Washington. What I really loved was his poke at the character in the caps Room as a reason for their lack of playoff success. It turned out they just needed to dump him.

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

It shouldn’t have been rocket science. He was a healthy scratch and 6th dman in Washington. What I really loved was his poke at the character in the caps Room as a reason for their lack of playoff success. It turned out they just needed to trade him.

i had never paid any attention to him before we got him and knew his name, thats about it.

7 minutes ago, DON said:

i had never paid any attention to him before we got him and knew his name, thats about it.

He would have been an okay 2nd outing dman in the late 90’s to mid 2000.

i don’t get the paradise for him and redden going down to the minors willingly, they went down so they could get paid 3 times more than they were worth and probably weren’t even viable bottom pairing options even without the salary cap concerns.