Jump to content

Report: Habs to sign Chris Wideman (spent last season in KHL)


 Share

Recommended Posts

As a 7/8 guy I am fine with it ... wouldn't want him to be in the mix as a regular 6D.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really hope the Weber replacement plan isn't Savard and Wideman (who is also a righty).  I'm okay with adding Wideman if they're eyeing him being in Laval and the top RD recalled but after the year he had in the KHL, I think Montreal would have had to give him a commitment that they view him as a regular on the roster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I really hope the Weber replacement plan isn't Savard and Wideman (who is also a righty).  I'm okay with adding Wideman if they're eyeing him being in Laval and the top RD recalled but after the year he had in the KHL, I think Montreal would have had to give him a commitment that they view him as a regular on the roster.

 

Its a one-way deal, which of course doesn't guarantee him a roster spot, but is guaranteeing him NHL money, even with Laval.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Its a one-way deal, which of course doesn't guarantee him a roster spot, but is guaranteeing him NHL money, even with Laval.

 

I figured he'd land a one-way deal but the Habs have given one-way deals for AHL-bound people before.  I just hope their plan isn't a Romanov-Wideman third pairing and that will solve everything.

 

I'd also be leery of Strickland and his confirmations.  He gets some right but an awful lot wrong, even when 'reporting' stuff others have already reported and confirmed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny thing about Wideman, he had two very productive seasons stats-wise and then completely dropped off the map. Did the “scandal” (really a non-scandal IMHO) sour teams on him, or did he just benefit from huge ice time on an atrocious Ottawa team? 

 

Anyhow, at age 31 I doubt we’ll see a return to 46-point production. I’m sure MB is not silly enough to see him as a heavy-duty fix for the top-6. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about Wideman, he had two very productive seasons stats-wise and then completely dropped off the map. Did the “scandal” (really a non-scandal IMHO) sour teams on him, or did he just benefit from huge ice time on an atrocious Ottawa team?

 

He never really played that much in Ottawa either.  His highest ATOI with them was 13:58 per game.  Even with the season he just had in the KHL, I wouldn't want him playing any more than that in Montreal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's fine as a 6th/7th D IMO.  You just don't want him playing top 4....

 

On a one-year deal it seems the Habs see him as a stop gap until Josh Brook or someone is ready.

 

Doesn't sound like a huge commitment here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

He's fine as a 6th/7th D IMO.  You just don't want him playing top 4....

 

On a one-year deal it seems the Habs see him as a stop gap until Josh Brook or someone is ready.

 

Doesn't sound like a huge commitment here.

Just keep the AAV at or below $1.125M so he can be buried off the cap in Laval if necessary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny thing about Wideman, he had two very productive seasons stats-wise and then completely dropped off the map. Did the “scandal” (really a non-scandal IMHO) sour teams on him, or did he just benefit from huge ice time on an atrocious Ottawa team? 

 

Anyhow, at age 31 I doubt we’ll see a return to 46-point production. I’m sure MB is not silly enough to see him as a heavy-duty fix for the top-6. 

He was the one that took the fall from that incident, even though some of the others had said the worst things. 

 

From an article about him in The Athletic:

"wherever Wideman went, the Uber incident followed. Promising opportunities evaporated. Was he a disposable player in his late 20s whose time had run out? Or had he been blackballed by one regrettable misstep? There were lots of nights laying in hotel beds in minor league cities when he’d look up at the ceiling and ponder that question.

Wideman still doesn’t know the answer, but he’s not letting that stop him from chasing his NHL dream a second time. "

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Would have been more of a scandal if what they were saying about the coaching in Ottawa at the time was not true. Some people can't take criticism at all. Don't you dare speak out against the terrible coaching in a taxi with your teammates! How the heck was that even a scandal? This is the elitist protectionary league of Herr Fueher Bettman. Speak out against anything, officials, coaches, gms, owners. anything and you will be sent to the Russian front (KHL). BS, the league is run like crap. Players need to speak out and this egotistical dictator has to be removed from power for the betterment of the game and the safety of those who play it. Never thought I would miss Zeigler...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Of course, maybe the uber driver shouldnt have videotaped the players without their knowledge and released it without their consent.  Seems an invasion of privacy too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Of course, maybe the uber driver shouldnt have videotaped the players without their knowledge and released it without their consent.  Seems an invasion of privacy too.


but he did, lost his job and paid the price.

Now he has probably another job somewhere 

 

but the victim, Wideman, he has to live with the consequences the rest of his life

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I mean i dont like Bettman, but comparing him to Hitler is certainly a choice.

A dictator is a dictator. Are you going to deny the NHL being a dictatorship under Bettman? I thought you ignored me, lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, johnnyhasbeen said:

A dictator is a dictator. Are you going to deny the NHL being a dictatorship under Bettman? I thought you ignored me, lol. 

Bettman is no more a dictator than any other league commissioner/president ... he is effectively a puppet whose strings are controlled by the Board of Governors ... he does nothing that they have not expressly or generally approved ... and gets well paid both for hope well he executers their orders and for being the punching bag who takes the shots when fans are unhappy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:


but he did, lost his job and paid the price.

Now he has probably another job somewhere 

 

but the victim, Wideman, he has to live with the consequences the rest of his life

 

Exactly

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to see

 

Edmundson Petry

Chiarot Hamilton/ D'Angelo***

Romanov Hakanpaa*

Kulak Wideman**

 

 

*Picked up Hakanpaa in fantasy hockey and he actually had solid numbers... hes also a big boy to so he could fit in well with MB/ Richardson style of defending

** there because it's reported in forum

***Hamilton is the clear #1  choice for me but D'Angelo could be another viable option when considering on ice performance only

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...