Would you resign Galchenyuk to center the 3rd line?

alfredoh2009

Galchenyuk is still unsigned (on Aug 3, 2021), would you sign him to center the Habs 3rd line?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Galchenyuk is still unsigned (on Aug 3, 2021), would you sign him to center the Habs 3rd line?

• Yes
    • No

On 8/5/2021 at 12:13 AM, hab29RETIRED said:

KK would have been. Better served in Finland as an 18 year old. He put muscle on the last year, but still seems to need to grow into his body - he’s always seems to be falling like Bambi on the ice.

He said in the end-of-season interview that he was going to focus on improving his skating in the off-season so that should hopefully help.

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

He said in the end-of-season interview that he was going to focus on improving his skating in the off-season so that should hopefully help.

Well it’s good he knows it’s an issue. He’s still young enough, and has the skills to develop into an elite centre. Now it depends if he does the work needed to improve, show that he can be consistent, and also show that also with the raw talent and tools, he’s actually got a toolbox and high hockey IQ.

ok, I guess I was crazy to think I would be the only one to think Chucky may be a solution.

Looking at UFAs and RFAs still unsigned, who would you go for?

1. Cizikas? Who seems to be asking for Danault money  ($5M)

https://eyesonisles.com/2021/07/25/islanders-casey-cizikas-adam-pelechs-asking-price-rumor/

2. Or bottom of the barrel, unsigned UFA, Frederik Gauthier? good FO% but not as good as Paquette or Perault otherwise

3. Or unsigned RFA like Jason Dickinson who was traded for a 3rd round pick? Canucks are in a salary cap crunch with Peterson, Hughes and Juolevi still unsigned.

Dickinson is my favourite of the group. I would send Poehling and a 3rd in 2022 for him.

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

ok, I guess I was crazy to think I would be the only one to think Chucky may be a solution.

Looking at UFAs and RFAs still unsigned, who would you go for?

1. Cizikas? Who seems to be asking for Danault money  ($5M)

https://eyesonisles.com/2021/07/25/islanders-casey-cizikas-adam-pelechs-asking-price-rumor/

2. Or bottom of the barrel, unsigned UFA, Frederik Gauthier? good FO% but not as good as Paquette or Perault otherwise

3. Or unsigned RFA like Jason Dickinson who was traded for a 3rd round pick? Canucks are in a salary cap crunch with Peterson, Hughes and Juolevi still unsigned.

Dickinson is my favourite of the group. I would send Poehling and a 3rd in 2022 for him.

1) Cizikas has a deal in place with NYI in principle, just hasn't been announced.  Sounds like a six-year deal, a little under $3M per.

2) Gauthier isn't good enough to crack the roster.

3) Vancouver has big plans for Dickinson, he's their new 3C according to Benning.  They also have $14M ($17.5M with Ferland's LTIR) which is ample room to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes to shorter-term deals.  Juolevi won't cost much.

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

1) Cizikas has a deal in place with NYI in principle, just hasn't been announced.  Sounds like a six-year deal, a little under $3M per.

2) Gauthier isn't good enough to crack the roster.

3) Vancouver has big plans for Dickinson, he's their new 3C according to Benning.  They also have $14M ($17.5M with Ferland's LTIR) which is ample room to re-sign Pettersson and Hughes to shorter-term deals.  Juolevi won't cost much.

I didn't know about Ferland's LITR, thanks!

How about Lucas Wallmark ?

He did not have a good season and contacted COVID-19; reports say he is not a good skater but otherwise seems to be a plausible 3C.

Would he be a better option than Chuky or the others mentioned (Cizikas, Gauthier,...)

I don't feel so alone anymore on this topic, seems like there may be some interest in Chucky after all

Edited by alfredoh2009
added URL to report

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't feel so alone anymore on this topic, seems like there may be some interest in Chucky after all

I saw that earlier but keep in mind that Fox is a massive Toronto homer and pays minimal attention to the rest of the league.  How he'd have a source saying the Habs are interested when no one else has that is sketchy.  I think he's throwing other teams into the mix to make it look like there's a market for him so that if he ultimately re-signs in Toronto, Fox can proudly proclaim how the Leafs won a bidding war for Galchenyuk's services.

23 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I saw that earlier but keep in mind that Fox is a massive Toronto homer and pays minimal attention to the rest of the league.  How he'd have a source saying the Habs are interested when no one else has that is sketchy.  I think he's throwing other teams into the mix to make it look like there's a market for him so that if he ultimately re-signs in Toronto, Fox can proudly proclaim how the Leafs won a bidding war for Galchenyuk's services.

do reporters do that? It sounds dishonest  

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

do reporters do that? It sounds dishonest  

The best ones don't ... but don't know that Luke Fox is one of the best ... or even one of the better

Not that I've changed my mind on Galchenyuk ... but If MB were to resign him the Habs could have a third line of third overall picks ... Galchenyuk-KK-Drouin ... of course that then requires a 2C be added.

31 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Not that I've changed my mind on Galchenyuk ... but If MB were to resign him the Habs could have a third line of third overall picks ... Galchenyuk-KK-Drouin ... of course that then requires a 2C be added.

I like that line and another with Hoffman-Evans-Gallagher: a line of late draft picks

these would be 2a and 2b lines for me but would push Caufield (or Toffoli or Andeson) to the fourth line which no one wants

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Funny idea, but that line would likely be horrible - and it would certainly be inconsistent.

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I like that line and another with Hoffman-Evans-Gallagher: a line of late draft picks

these would be 2a and 2b lines for me but would push Caufield (or Toffoli or Andeson) to the fourth line which no one wants

So no one is feeling confident that we have the players to fill the 2nd (KK), and 3rd (Evans), line roles, and your solution is to effectively bump Evans up as the 2nd line centre??

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Funny idea, but that line would likely be horrible - and it would certainly be inconsistent.

Yeah o agree - just no to Galchenyuk being an option - particularly at centre

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

So no one is feeling confident that we have the players to fill the 2nd (KK), and 3rd (Evans), line roles, and your solution is to effectively bump Evans up as the 2nd line centre??

I was just following GHT120's game of "these things belong together" for the fun of it

Didn't Evans fill in for Danault for one game during the playoffs? He can be a 2b center...

• 2 weeks later...

Galchenyuk is an offensively talented player whose production on the Leafs was amazing when you consider he didn’t get much power-play time – his 2.16 points per 60 minutes of 5v5 ice-time was above average first-line production.  (stats naturalstattrick.com).

He produced more per minute of even-strength ice-time with Toronto last season than he did during his 30 goal season.  The Leafs, with Galchenyuk on the ice, posted a 57% expected-goals percentage.

https://editorinleaf.com/2021/08/22/toronto-maple-leafs-sign-galchenyuk/

Chucky is still out there, and was seen recently in Montreal ;)

https://www.danslescoulisses.com/fr/alex-galchenyuk-a-ete-apercu-a-montreal/

(although, in the french article, the writer hopes he is not coming to the Habs as a centre)

On 8/11/2021 at 12:14 PM, alfredoh2009 said:

I was just following GHT120's game of "these things belong together" for the fun of it

Didn't Evans fill in for Danault for one game during the playoffs? He can be a 2b center...

Filling in for one game is one thing, doing it for 82 games is a whole different ballgame.  I really like Evans but at best he is 3rd line center, almost the perfect 4th line center. 

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Filling in for one game is one thing, doing it for 82 games is a whole different ballgame.  I really like Evans but at best he is 3rd line center, almost the perfect 4th line center. 

Koivu was the perferct 2C, Pleks was the perfect 3C, Danault was the perfect 3C, the Habs have had centres playin gout of their ideal spot for years.

Until Poehling or his replacement takes on the 3C, Evans is our best bet

21 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Koivu was the perferct 2C, Pleks was the perfect 3C, Danault was the perfect 3C, the Habs have had centres playin gout of their ideal spot for years.

Pleks scored 20 goals or more 7 times in his career, that's a little more than you would expect from a 3C, agree that Danault is the perfect 3C on a contender. 

44 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

All the C you mention were veterans. Evans has 60 NHL games under his belt and a grand total of 16 points. Now we are suddenly going to count on him to be a top-9 C, when he has never come close to doing this on a regular basis.

So that to me is the difference. We are crossing our fingers that both KK and Evans can step up and play roles for an entire season that they have never played before except for brief stretches.

That's not planning, it's wishful thinking.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

All the C you mention were veterans. Evans has 60 NHL games under his belt and a grand total of 16 points. Now we are suddenly going to count on him to be a top-9 C, when he has never come close to doing this on a regular basis.

So that to me is the difference. We are crossing our fingers that both KK and Evans can step up and play roles for an entire season that they have never played before except for brief stretches.

That's not planning, it's wishful thinking.

No question we are rolling the dice  with KK and Evans at 2C and 3C but sometimes you need to take a chance. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

No question we are rolling the dice  with KK and Evans at 2C and 3C but sometimes you need to take a chance. 

Or take two chances in this case.

It's not that I oppose ever giving a kid more rope, but doing this twice at the same time and at the same key position is a very dangerous recipe.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Or take two chances in this case.

It's not that I oppose ever giving a kid more rope, but doing this twice at the same time and at the same key position is a very dangerous recipe.

You are right, it is wishful thinking 

that is why I am sure a trade is coming